Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.3 failed verification - no internet connection

I am trying to update my iPhone 5s to iOS 9.3 as prompted by my phone.

The new software has been downloaded but this message popped up when I was trying to install it. The message says, " iOS 9.3 failed verification because you are no longer connected to the internet". This occurred whilst my phone is on stable wifi internet connection with me being able to browse on safari and having messages coming in and out of my messaging apps and mailbox. Besides, I can even email the terms and conditions of the iOS 9.3 update on the install page to my email address (i.e. internet gotta be working then).

I have tried several methods as suggested by others in the past i.e. 1) Killing the settings app and restart the process again and 2) Resetting my network settings. Unfortunately, none of these methods work for me and the phone is still coming up with the same error message when I try to install the update.

It would be appreciated if someone can shed some light on this please.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Mar 24, 2016 6:10 PM

57 replies

Jul 31, 2017 5:26 PM in response to rayzariz

Hi there - I tried doing this, successfully did it on the 2nd try, but now there is no option to download and install the 9.3.5 update on my phone. I see that option on itunes on my macbook when my iphone is connected to it, but even trying to download and install that way i run into an error message saying there was a problem downloading software for my phone. It keeps telling me there is a network issue, but I am connected to wifi, on my computer and phone. Does someone have an answer for this phenomenon??

yours truly frustrated,

Barbara

User uploaded file

Apr 22, 2017 5:43 AM in response to EaToH

"I experienced the same things and I have managed to update to 9.3 by deleting the downloaded package. Go to settings>General>Storage&iCloud Usage>Manage Storage>you will see the downloaded 9.3, select that>delete.

Do you know where this file is stored on iPad 3 with iOS 6? Because above option is not available on it. Having the exact same problem with EaToH but on my iPad 3.

Jul 23, 2017 7:30 AM in response to Jeff Fischer1

I hope you can help me. I have an IPad2 running 5.1.1 and the update is 9.2.1. I am having the same problem not being able to update. I am getting the message failed, not connected to internet(but I am) I too thought going into manage storage and deleting the update would work but it is not even listed. Any suggestions? I have tried closing settings, reboot, hard reset. Driving me crazy.

Mar 25, 2016 3:47 PM in response to EaToH

I am having the exact same issue with an iPhone 5. It was giving the error that there was no internet connection. I deleted the software update in the iCloud & Storage Usage portion of Settings > General. Now I am getting the message "iOS 9.2.1 Your Software is up to date." I have then closed all running apps, cleared app cache by holding the home button the slide to off screen, powered off by holding the home and screen lock button until the apple icon appears, waited overnight, and still the same thing.

Mar 25, 2016 5:54 PM in response to EaToH

There are wide-spread reports that older devices are having issues with activating after the update. Your issue is before the update.

This appears to be a different issue, but I suspect this is really Apple's way of blocking you from installing the update you have already downloaded, until they fix the known activation issue with the update.

For those connecting through iTunes, you would see that you are already running the most current version, because that is now the most current version that you can download. Your phone already downloaded it, so Apple is blocking you from installing it.

Wait for the update to the update. I'll bet you have to delete the 9.3 install file you already downloaded though - from your Manage Storage settings.

Mar 26, 2016 5:47 AM in response to EaToH

The update to 9.3 worked fine on my iPhone 5c but killed my iPad 2 with repeated failed verification notifications.

The fix for me was to install/update iTunes on my PC, connect my iPad 2 to my PC via USB and wait for the relevant device driver installation to complete.

Press and hold the Power and Home button for around 10 seconds or so until the screen shows the "connect your device to iTunes" logo appears.

You may be prompted to enter your passcode on the device, and/or to Trust the computer. It's pretty straight forward so just keep an eye on both the PC and the device and accept as required.

Now, when I tried to Update (which apparently you should try first), this just did not work for me.

So, I chose the other option which reverts your device to default. Don't panic if the device continues to try and fail to update, just make sure the full 9.3 iOS file is downloaded to your PC, and choose this file to run your update (as opposed to trying to download/install via wifi).

Once you have the file, you're good to go. You may need to disconnect the device, get the device into recovery mode again (home and power buttons) and re-connect but this time you should be able to choose the iOS file you downloaded.

Once installed, you can then restore your device using your most recent iCloud backup.

It worked for me. I hope it works for you.

iOS 9.3 failed verification - no internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.