Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery problem after update to IOS 9.3.1

I updated my Iphone 5 to IOS 9.3.1 about a week ago, whereafter the battery drained within 3-4 hours. I thought that the battery finally packed up and ordered a new one !

The problem still exists, now the battery lasts max. 5 hours.

Any solution apart from switching off many of the standard features ?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.3.1, null

Posted on Apr 1, 2016 4:55 AM

157 replies

Jul 4, 2017 7:56 PM in response to Gutzzu

Has anyone found an answer yet for this problem? Mine to it gets hot and the battery is not lasting more than 4 hours, it used to last me a couple of days on a charge. I have an iPhone 6 plus. I have had it a few years with never a problem and after the last update it's terrible. Please help I use my phone mostly for monitoring my husbands health. He has had 4 heart attacks and type 3 diabetes and lots of medicines.

Candy

Apr 3, 2016 6:57 AM in response to Madalaaa

Same for me. Yesterday I've updated to iOS 9.3.1 on my iPhone 6 Plus and my wife's' 6s. Almost immediately we both noticed that the battery is draining much faster as the day before (it was still 9.2 on both phones). But the most interesting thing happened in the evening. I left my phone idle on the table with around 40% of battery load (in energy saving mode!). In 1.5 hours when I took it again it was very hot and had only 2%.

"Battery usage" screen told me that during last 10 hours 54% of the battery was taken by Home and lock screen. I get the feeling that the bug has something to do with Night shift. I've settled up schedule to enable it automatically in the evening. And exactly when it had to be automatically enabled, the phone lost all it's battery.

So now waiting for 9.3.2...

Apr 3, 2016 12:31 PM in response to Madalaaa

I'm having the same issues: after upgrading to iOS 9.3.1, the battery on my 6S barely lasts ~7 hours, with no app running in the background. *****... Has anyone tried to downgrade to iOS 9.3, and if so, where did you download the 9.3 IPSW file from? It is no longer in my ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone\ Software\ Updates/ folder ; I guess iTunes automatically deleted it when it upgraded to 9.3.1

Apr 3, 2016 3:12 PM in response to Madalaaa

My 6s Plus battery has been affected by 9.3. I immediately noticed it would get warm (which never happened before unless I was on it for an insanely long amount f time), and battery would drain much quicker than 9.2.1. I reverted back to 9.2.1 from 9.3, and the problem persisted. I then did a "clean install" of 9.3.1 when it was released. The problem is still occurring. Driving me nuts! At least I'm not alone.

Apr 5, 2016 6:27 AM in response to nickygquad

I have the same issue, but Apple says its not and issue. Went to the online chat and they did a remote diagnostic check on my phone and said the battery is fine. Its hard to believe that I can read about so many users having the same issue and 9.3.1 apparently didn't address it. So Apple what are we supposed to do with a phone that only lasts 4 hours in between charges? Today, my phone has been unplugged from the batter charger for less than 2.5 hours and I'm already at 65% with very little use.

Apr 5, 2016 7:40 AM in response to Madalaaa

Having the same issue with all my devices since 9.3.1 update, I have 2 6sPlus phone, 1 Ipad2, and 1 Ipad air and have noticed a drastic change in battery consumption. I have not added any new apps and have purposely not used the Ipad2 just to see if usage was the cause, with no usage battery consumption is much faster than previous to latest IOS update. Has anyone heard anything about the root cause?

Apr 8, 2016 1:38 AM in response to Madalaaa

Went to apple 2 days ago about my phone dying at ~30%, but been told 9.3.1 has fixed it.

To be honest, I believed that, because my phone died several times before the update and since the update (for almost a week) it was alright until today.

woke up in the morning, my phone was ~48%, walked to work, made a call for few minutes while walking and put the phone back in my pocket.

got to my desk at work, checked the phone - it was 42%, tried to unlock it and open safari and suddenly it just died.

put the cable in to charge it - boom, it's up and running with 42% again...back to the issue I had for months...

I remember when few weeks ago my phone lost ~60% during the night. I mean I had my phone on 80%, went to bed and when I woke up it was 20%

something is seriously wrong here and I'm not the only one...

P.S. I've got iPhone 6, 64gb

Apr 14, 2016 2:58 PM in response to Madalaaa

User uploaded fileIs this normal? or is this just what Apple has trained iPhone users to accept as 'Normal'? Hmm... I was amazed to see the Low Battery alert four and a half hours after a full charge. I only used it to send 4 or 5 texts. Am I out of my mind to think that this is unusual at the least and actually should be unacceptable considering cost and all the braggadocios commercials claiming product superiority? Am I supposed to turn off this and that function to preserve battery life?? I'm not running anything superfluous that is more than a basic, stock part of the OS(9.3.1). Why don't they make a phone that runs like it should run while running even just the basic functions of the phone that it should be running? Like, I want to go buy a 4 Wheel Drive vehicle where every time I go off roading I have to remove the backseat, front bumper, and spare tire due to weight restrictions otherwise I'll either run out of gas or have to disengage 4WD. What happened to Apple? Or am I the one whose changed since my first Apple IIe back in 1986?

Battery problem after update to IOS 9.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.