Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot send iMessages on my Mac but can receive them

votefavorite

I changed my main Apple ID email address yesterday, and also changed from my iPhone 5C to a iPhone SE.

Once I did changed my Apple ID email address, I had to sign out of all my devices, and sign back in with the new email cause I was getting error since the apps were trying to log in with the old email.

After that, everything was working on all devices except 1 thing. I cannot send iMessages from Messages on my Mac. iMessage is working on my iPhone correctly. I can receive iMessages on both Mac and iPhone. I can even send SMS (non-imessage) messages on my Mac. Really, all I can't do is to send iMessages from the Mac.

What I did :

- Restarted my computer
- Log out and back in of Messages on the Mac
- Log out and back in of iCloud on the Mac
- Deleted Messages related Preferences files
- Deleted Keychain passwords that were using the old email

Not sure what else to try. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm running El Capitan by the way (10.11.4) on a 2012 15 inches Macbook Pro.

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 11, 2016 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2019 1:46 PM

I just tried the one from cabrownfromottawa way up, i think on page 5 of this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7528581?answerId=33300061022#33300061022. If that doesn't take you there, here is a copy: So I tried everything on all 4 of these pages and none worked.  Finally I contacted Apple Support and after getting passed to a 2nd level, having them have me capture some logs and have them analyzed, I got it fixed.

Close all applications, specifically Messages

Reboot

Spotlight search for Keychain Access

Search in Keychain Access for - com.apple.facetime

Right click on and delete - com.apple.facetime: registrationV1

Reboot

Launch Messages

It certainly worked for me! Good luck!

111 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2019 1:46 PM in response to sara92_

I just tried the one from cabrownfromottawa way up, i think on page 5 of this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7528581?answerId=33300061022#33300061022. If that doesn't take you there, here is a copy: So I tried everything on all 4 of these pages and none worked.  Finally I contacted Apple Support and after getting passed to a 2nd level, having them have me capture some logs and have them analyzed, I got it fixed.

Reboot

Reboot

Launch Messages

It certainly worked for me! Good luck!

Dec 14, 2017 12:27 PM in response to rniev022

Hi,

You do realise that Text Forwarding is sending SMS items from and to the iPhone so it can pass it on via the phone's carrier service ?

iMessages are not SMS.

The Original Poster even says have can send SMS.

User uploaded file

8:27 pm Thursday; December 14, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Feb 15, 2018 1:12 PM in response to flekkowich

Hi,

Try this Users Tip When the iMessages account will not Login

Particularly the last part about phoning Apple.

If you have two Active Receive At IDs such as the Apple ID and the iPhone Number you may well see "Sync" "Copies" (They are not Syncs as they are just sent to all registered devices - nor are they true copies but it is a simple way to think of the same Message being sent to the Apple ID and the iPhone Number)

User uploaded file

9:12 pm Thursday; February 15, 2018

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 20, 2018 12:07 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Try this:

1. go to Keychain Access app in the Utilities folder

2. under the File menu, choose *Lock Keychain "Login"*

3. go to the File menu again and choose *Unlock Keychain "Login"*

4. enter your password when prompted.

I'm on Sierra. I could receive messages on all my devices but after an OS security update I could not send or reply in Messages on my laptop. I finally got a useful error message (STKeychainErrorDomain error -25299) from a third-party app (Airmail3) indicating it had a problem accessing the Keychain. They sent me to a lengthy Apple help forum about rebuilding my Keychain. I started with the easiest possible suggested fix (above) and (ridiculously) it solved all my problems.

Apr 16, 2018 4:05 PM in response to marclarin

So I tried everything on all 4 of these pages and none worked. Finally I contacted Apple Support and after getting passed to a 2nd level, having them have me capture some logs and have them analyzed, I got it fixed.

Reboot

Reboot

Launch Messages

This worked immediately for me.

Hope this might help someone else!

Oct 21, 2018 2:11 PM in response to jbriscione

Hi,

Most likely the Apple ID is not logged in and you are seeing "sync" version via the iPhone Number.

See When the iMessages account will not Login

User uploaded file

10:11 pm Sunday; October 21, 2018

 MacBookPro 15" 2016 (High Sierra 10.13.x)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

May 23, 2018 4:35 PM in response to marclarin

Midonz solution worked. I had the same issue when upgrading.

by midonzFeb 20, 2018 12:07 PM in response to Ralph Johns (UK)

Try this:

I'm on Sierra. I could receive messages on all my devices but after an OS security update I could not send or reply in Messages on my laptop. I finally got a useful error message (STKeychainErrorDomain error -25299) from a third-party app (Airmail3) indicating it had a problem accessing the Keychain. They sent me to a lengthy Apple help forum about rebuilding my Keychain. I started with the easiest possible suggested fix (above) and (ridiculously) it solved all my problems.

Aug 18, 2019 10:29 AM in response to marclarin

I tried this, but it did not work:

I then tried this, and it did work for me:

1. Close all applications, specifically Messages
  2. Reboot
  3. Open Keychain Access
  4. Search in Keychain Access for - com.apple.facetime
  5. Right click on and delete - com.apple.facetime: registrationV1
  6. Reboot
  7. Launch Messages

IMac (27-in, Mid 2011) with High Sierra Version 10.13.6

Feb 2, 2017 5:50 PM in response to marclarin

Did you ever find a solution other than ditching your old user account? I'm seeing the exact same symptoms. Can't send imessage, but will send SMS. I even tried with different apple ID's. The only solution I found was to setup a new user, and all the problems went away. I just hate to go through the process of reconfiguring all my settings and preferences, but maybe that is the best solution...

Oct 20, 2017 7:26 PM in response to marclarin

Check the messages on your phone. I noticed that my MacBook was turned off to send messages but was turned on to receive them. go to settings, messages, Text message forwarding. This should show all devices that can send and receive messages. If the computer is in the off position click it to the so that the slide turns green.

Dec 7, 2017 4:47 PM in response to marclarin

This symptom is closer to what I was first experiencing. After going through the various "stop/start Messages" dances, the symptoms changed. What happens now is that messages I get seem to be showing up on different platforms (I think it's whichever Apple thinks I'm using) but not the other devices. Additionally, the messages I send don't get copied into the threads on the other devices. YET, all my devices are getting and sending messages in one form or another.

Notably, this all started with the most recent OS upgrades, which hit my Mac, iPhone, Watch and iPad on about the same week.

Cannot send iMessages on my Mac but can receive them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.