Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: iPad Pro 9.7 Random Restart

Normally wouldn't think much of this but, I have a 2 day old iPad Pro 9.7 128GB that has restart on me twice so far. In the middle of using it, it will cut to the Apple logo on the black background for a minute before returning to the passcode screen. Oddly enough, it will accept Touch ID in place of a passcode, something it doesn't usually do when it loses power. Any idea on the cause or how to figure it out? I chatted with the tech support but they only help they could provide was to do a restore. I just performed it, but my concern is that I installed an app or enabled something causing the iPad to crash and it'll simply continue to do that due to the bad app.

Posted on Apr 13, 2016 9:38 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Apr 14, 2016 1:16 PM in response to camhabib In response to camhabib

I would just pay attention to it. Make a note of what app you are using and how it reacts.

You could always install your apps one at a time (if you haven't installed them all back on of course) and see which one acts up

Apr 14, 2016 1:16 PM

Reply Helpful (5)

Apr 14, 2016 6:32 PM in response to camhabib In response to camhabib

I can understand that. However, the device does have a 1 year warranty against manufacturer's defects.

That said, maybe a compromise? You said you've had it a couple of days. Apple has a 14 day no questions asked return period, so give it a week.

or, make an appointment and have them check it out. Better safe than sorry.

Ultimately, whatever you feel you need to do.

If it is just an app that crashes it, then Apple won't really do anything beyond recommending that you stop using the app.

Apr 14, 2016 6:32 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 15, 2016 2:29 PM in response to camhabib In response to camhabib

MIne is doing the same thing. I have done a complete restore twice still does it. I think it will be fixed with a software update I had this happen when I bought my air and an update fixed it. With mine it does it with multiple apps so I am sure its not a bad app.

Apr 15, 2016 2:29 PM

Reply Helpful (3)

Apr 18, 2016 8:50 AM in response to camhabib In response to camhabib

I have talked to Apple about this issue and have been escalated to a senior consultant. So far all they do is replace my iPad and the new one has also had the random restart to the Apple logo. It does not happen with any one app but randomly using a different app or process each time. I am on another iPad and will see if this one restarts. I have set up as new and have jumped through all the hoops recommended by apple. I have seen this issue talked about on other forums and some think it is on the 128 gb wifi versions only. I am not sure of this but there are two 128 gb wifi + cellular ones I know of that have not had this issue.

Apr 18, 2016 8:50 AM

Reply Helpful (4)

Apr 19, 2016 11:25 AM in response to camhabib In response to camhabib

I Though mine was fixed after an all reset settings. I was advised by Apple to do that.

after one week free of problems it's restarting again by itself.

its not an specific app. It's on any app. Random.

my iPad is an ipad Pro 9.7 wifi 128

looks like the 128 have this issue

hope somebody can really help.

thanks

Apr 19, 2016 11:25 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Apr 20, 2016 7:08 PM in response to rexboe In response to rexboe

Mine also does this. 128 GB wifi, mostly when switching apps. After a hard restart it didn't do it for about 36 hours, but I got it to crash twice tonight. Loading up safari tabs and then going home or switching apps seems to trigger it. Really annoying.

Apr 20, 2016 7:08 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 20, 2016 7:21 PM in response to camhabib In response to camhabib

I have a 2 week old new ipad Pro 128 GB and it does NOT restart on its own. I'm not as familiar with iOS as I am with Mac OS, but if this was a Mac, it would most likely be one or more third party software causing the problem. And, if this was my device, I'd be deleting all third party apps and slowly add one at a time waiting at least 2 - 24 hours between installs to see if it misbehaves.

Apr 20, 2016 7:21 PM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: camhabib

Question: iPad Pro 9.7 Random Restart