Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accused of making modifications....

MY iphone 6 mysteriously quit working in my hands about a month ago. I tried to get support from Apple on it. They thought ut was the battery. I sent it in and got an email telling me I made unauthorized modifications to the phone. I did NOT make any modifications and have been the only owner of the phone. i have contacted Apple support multiple times and no one will tell me what they think I did. How can I get the information?

i take offense to being called a liar, a cheat and given the run around when the only thing I ever did to the phone is put a screen protector on it.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 12:51 PM

17 replies

Apr 28, 2016 5:49 PM in response to jamiefromkalispell

Hey Jamie,

You have every right to be totally furious. I don't blame you.
Let's try to get you some help. First--is your phone in warranty? If it is, then you probably are going to have to suck it up and keep waging the online war or drive to Apple. Eventually you'll win, and Apple will replace your phone.

If it's not in warranty, then let's try to figure out what is actually wrong with your phone. The reality is that for an out of warranty iPhone 6, it doesn't matter if you have "unauthorized modifications" or not----you're going to end up being asked to pay $299 for an refurbished iPhone 6 as an out of warranty swap.

When was your phone last normal? Has it ever seen maybe a drop of water? Do you have a history of using non-Apple chargers? Is the phone detected by iTunes? Does it get hot?
The answers to these questions will lead us toward a most likely fault that you're experiencing and then we can give you some solutions.

Apr 28, 2016 5:58 PM in response to mendonipadrehab

mendonipadrehab wrote:

The reality is that for an out of warranty iPhone 6, it doesn't matter if you have "unauthorized modifications" or not----you're going to end up being asked to pay $299 for an refurbished iPhone 6 as an out of warranty swap.

That's not correct. If Apple thinks that the phone has had unauthorized modifications, they will not replace it for any price. If the phone suffered accidental damage, or has a hardware fault after the warranty period, then the out-of-warranty price would apply, but not if they had unauthorized modifications.

Apr 29, 2016 7:34 AM in response to mendonipadrehab

HI there! My phone was normal the night before it died. I used it, put it on the charger. Got up, took my kids to school, went to work, and sat down with the phone to check emails. The power completely drained and that was it. I pulled it out of my purse to use and it quit...No water damage, no dropping. 😟

I get the phone is broken, but the service I received from Apple is what is disheartening. The phone is out of warranty. I have never done anything to the phone other than put it in a case and put a ballistic glass screen protector on it.

To have Apple tell me I made modifications and refuse to tell me what they were or how they know that it was modified is what is bothering me the most. They won't give me any contact information to the people that can actually tell me it was Part XYZ and this is why we think you made modifications to the phone.

I literally watch the phone being unboxed and it had not been out of my possession since...until I sent it to Apple.

The first senior iOS guy told me that he would help and gave me his personal work contact info. I emailed him a few times only to not get much for a response. The second person wouldn't tell me anything more and basically said I had to contact the first guy again. 4 emails and 2 voicemails later and I still don't know where to go.
The nearest Apple Genius Bar is 4+ hours from me. I was never offered an out of warranty swap option. They told me $549 to fix, they would recycle it, or they would send it back unrepaired....that was all I was offered. 😟

Long story short, I am looking for help to see how I can escalate this. I'm not even asking for Apple to fix my phone. I just want the REAL story as to what is wrong with my phone! Not them blaming me for its demise.....

Apr 29, 2016 8:53 AM in response to jamiefromkalispell

Okay, from that history your diagnosis is failed Tristar chip on the board from non-Apple charger usage. The solution is to have the chip replaced and the phone will be fine. This is not a repair that Apple offers, so you can either send it out to independent repair to have that chip replaced or pursue getting an out f warranty refurbished phone replacement with Apple for $299. Tristar chip replacement is about half that with independent board repair. My guess is that at an in-person appointment at Apple that you will likely be offered the $299 deal.

Sounds super frustrating, I'm sorry this happened to you.

Jessa

Accused of making modifications....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.