Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why ''original media'' has no sound?

Trying to figure out this mystery : When inside FCP, if I position cursor on a clip, it plays correctly. But if I right click and ''reveal in Finder'' then try to playback that (same) clip, in Quick Time, it plays without sound !... What's wrong ?

Not too practical as I may want to use those same clips in other programs (not only FCP....)

Is it a setting I might have set somewhere ? Just can't figure out...

Thanks,

Rob

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), i7, 8GB memory

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 7:03 PM

33 replies

Apr 30, 2016 7:44 PM in response to lanstrad1

lanstrad1 wrote:

Broight from Canon HV30 conneced to Macbook Pro (Firewire 800) and imported media into Final Cut Pro.

This audio seems to be a mix of 16 and 12 bit, not sure if that is even possible on this camera???

I suspect this is the cause of your weird acting audio.

User uploaded file

I would try another import to FCP X and double check all the connections before starting.

Al

May 1, 2016 5:55 AM in response to Alchroma

i used FCP - nothing else. Are there any settings i should see/get in there to post here?

You mention audio at 12 and 16 bit. I can check the camera. However, just to make sure : remember that the same clips play correctly (with audio) under Final Cut... Therefore, unless you mean QT would not be able to play that kind of hybrid (??) audio (dual bit rate), I don't see the point to go back to the camera... ?

I will have a look later at these settings on the cam, but in the past, I had transferred lots of content to Premiere Pro without an issue. And here, issue does not seem to be within FCP either...(It's my first try with this cam though with FCP).

Thanks again for your precious help.

Rob

Note: sorry for dual post above - something wrong happened - trying to answer from my iPhone - for some reason it ''recovered'' previous post and posted it again...

May 1, 2016 6:02 AM in response to Alchroma

Oh... another point just popping now... I used this cam to playback and transfer... but as far as shooting, this was done in 2001 with a much older camera which I don't own anymore...

But yet: pls keep in mind that things are OK when played back within FCP...

As for QT to import, other replies suggested to use QT7... I can find it, but looks like it needs ''Pro'' features, but I ca,t see a way to activate it - Apple offers the QT7 download but not the Pro. I had purchased a Pro previously under Windows and tried the registration code here, but does not seem to work either... (And nope: no more Windows available...)

Why ''original media'' has no sound?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.