Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset play count in iTunes 12.4?

After the update I am unable to reset the play count anyone know a work around or how to reset the play count?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on May 17, 2016 3:47 PM

43 replies

Jan 27, 2017 7:35 PM in response to jmadsen23

Not sure if you got it to work. I will let you know what I did. So I did select all of my music and right clicked. There was nothing that said reset music count. I then went into View, show view options, down to stats and hit the box that will show plays. Now go back, select all music, right click and now reset plays will appear. Done!

Apr 9, 2017 9:34 PM in response to jmadsen23

This is not the first time they have done this. A short time back the Play count disappeared altogether and its something I use as a language student. Most companies when they upgrade the software provide further enhancements but it appears that Apple is in the business of making the software less useful that it was previously.

Apr 28, 2017 6:59 AM in response to jmadsen23

I've taken one of the scripts that turingtest2 pointed to (http://samsoft.org.uk/itunes/scripts.asp)

and modified it for this purpose - it will reset all selected songs Play Count to 0.

It's not particularly fast but it works.

(1,367 tracks took 18.5 minutes to reset on my gaming PC)

FYI - This is a VBScript for use on Windows iTunes only - Mac users have plenty of Scripts to use from other sources.

How to use:

1) Download this file: http://www.nextcoinc.com/public/ResetLastPlayed.zip and unzip to anywhere on your PC

2) Run iTunes, choose "Songs", select all the songs you want changed (perhaps just one or two at first to test it)

3) (Optional) I prefer to sort the column by "Plays" and select only those songs I want to change (usually play count 1 or more, ignoring those with no play count)

4) After selecting the Songs, run (double-click) the VBScript file and click "OK" - it will begin to process your selected list.

It's really too bad Apple developers are doing such horrible work.

Steve would have fired them all by now...

Checkout my apps at the App Store! search for NextCo - thanks.

Sep 28, 2017 4:29 PM in response to jmadsen23

YEEAaaa!! I finally found the answer on my own. Can't believe it. So simple once you know the secret handshake.

Select all the songs you want to reset. Put your cursor on one of the selected songs. Hold your control key. Click and select "Get Info". Near the bottom you will find a beautiful sight. "play count -" with a "Reset" button. Bingo.

Sep 28, 2017 4:56 PM in response to jmadsen23

This is for iTunes 12.7. YEEAaaa!! I finally found the answer on my own. Can't believe it. So simple once you know the secret handshake.

Select all the songs you want to reset. Put your cursor on the " ... " of one of the selected songs . Click and select "Get Info" or "Song Info" if you only have one song selected. Near the bottom you will find a beautiful sight. "play count -" with a "Reset" button. Bingo!!!

May 17, 2016 5:18 PM in response to jmadsen23

Here is a short AppleScript to replace the missing reset plays feature. In addition it clears any skips, or bookmark position and the last played and skipped dates.

Copy and paste into the script editor, save it as LastPlayedNever in ~/Library/iTunes/Scripts. Select one or more tracks and call the script from the scripts menu in iTunes.

User uploaded file

-- LastPlayedNever - V1.0 - © Steve MacGuire - 2016-05-18

tell application "iTunes"

if selection is not {} then

set mySelection to selection

repeat with aTrack in mySelection

set played count of aTrack to 0

set played date of aTrack to missing value

set skipped count of aTrack to 0

set skipped date of aTrack to missing value

if aTrack is bookmarkable then set bookmark of aTrack to 0

end repeat

end if

end tell

tt2

May 23, 2016 6:46 AM in response to turingtest2

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but it appears to work when I select my song, then click the script menu and select LastPlayedNever. But then after a few seconds, the play count reappears on the song.... I then run it a second time and it seems to stick.

Not sure why I have to run it a second time. Minor inconvenience, but better than no option to reset at all.

How to reset play count in iTunes 12.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.