Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop "Allow me to be discovered by" not showing

I can open the airdrop folder but the options "Allow me to be discovered by" and "Don't see who you're looking for" are not showing. I tried scrolling down and resizing the window but the options aren't showing up.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I am not able to see or be seen by other devices. I have bluetooth and wifi turned on and the imac is compatible with airdrop (iMac 24-inch, Early 2009).

OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jul 20, 2016 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2017 8:18 PM

This is not solved. It has nothing to do with the version of bluetooth your laptop or imac has installed. The problem is that when you open Finder, and select AirDrop, the option for "allow me to be discovered by" is not present, therefore you cannot even turn on AirDrop. Hardware is supported based on the Apple requirements. This is clearly a bug in Mac OS X and in my case late 2009 imac running Sierra.

I agree with later posts - Mac's quote used to be "it just works", now it should be "it no longer just works". Tinkering around on a mac to get it's own software to work on it's own hardware is flat out ridiculous and in my opinion worse than Windows.

Where is Apple on this? How long must this go before someone from Apple posts a response?

34 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2017 8:18 PM in response to Malignance

This is not solved. It has nothing to do with the version of bluetooth your laptop or imac has installed. The problem is that when you open Finder, and select AirDrop, the option for "allow me to be discovered by" is not present, therefore you cannot even turn on AirDrop. Hardware is supported based on the Apple requirements. This is clearly a bug in Mac OS X and in my case late 2009 imac running Sierra.

I agree with later posts - Mac's quote used to be "it just works", now it should be "it no longer just works". Tinkering around on a mac to get it's own software to work on it's own hardware is flat out ridiculous and in my opinion worse than Windows.

Where is Apple on this? How long must this go before someone from Apple posts a response?

Oct 27, 2017 11:22 AM in response to ErickRios

Despite being able to use AirDrop between my iPhone 7 and MacBook Pro (15", late 2011) successfully many times before, I'm now unable to change the settings for discoverability in AirDrop (in the Finder) on my Mac.

Nothing has changed since the last time I used it—I'm still on Sierra. I did upgrade my iPhone to iOS 11, but I wouldn't think that would affect the MacBook Pro's ability to use AirDrop.

Has Apple deprecated it for older model computers or something? I literally was just using AirDrop last month on this exact same computer, and now I can't anymore.

User uploaded file

Aug 8, 2017 11:10 AM in response to galos

Sorry to say, but I have to agree with Galos. Been a Mac user for over 15 years, and yes, it used to "just work". But there's been a steady decline in the working percentage 😕

Apart from this problem, I've also had wifi connection drops ever since Snow Leopard... still having issues with it today in Sierra...

So, the solution is to just buy a new computer ?

Aug 15, 2017 4:41 PM in response to Linc Davis

I have a 2011 iMac and an iPhone 6, and have the same problem. No option to "Allow me to be discovered" even shows up.

Is Apple expecting us to buy a new Mac every 4 years?? Apple should just stop pretending that this works, and ditch it. ****, it was easier to move files from my ancient Motorola to my 2004 iMac than it is under the current pathetic excuse for file sharing.

Apr 26, 2018 1:04 PM in response to jpdemers

Hi,

I've spent hours on finding a solution to this same problem. Here's how I fixed it after combing through hundreds of webpages of "fixes." Seems a PRAM reset does it:

Shut the laptop down not restart. press power and hold the following 4 keys Cmd+Opt+P+R and keep holding for 3 restarts which will happen as long as you keep the keys depressed. make sure it is 3 "ta-da's" and then let go and check Airdrop again once your laptop has started up.

Good luck!

Feb 11, 2018 8:38 PM in response to hiddenmuse

hi,

have you found the solution to your airdrop?

i am having the same issue in launching airdrop.

if the problem is because of the updating of OS. then apple should fix this. updating should improve the working capability and not to phase out the function of a working apps to force us to replace our well condition units. this sounds like a violation to the right of the consumer.

Mar 13, 2018 6:30 PM in response to ErickRios

I had this problem on a newer Mac not long ago too. I don't recall how I fixed it though. My sisters 2011 Laptop OS 10.11 El Captain has the same problem now.

The Apple Help stuff on line is useless. Turn on and off the WiFi and Bluetooth... that's about all they suggest.

I can see why people Hate Apple products.

Did anyone find the answer?

or is the only solution to install updates?

I'm afraid of updating Apple products, always have been. if an update fixes it, i'll need to look into what versions work and then what 10.x.x is best as I'm willing to bet that the latest version of OSX on a 2011 machine is designed to slow it down just enough to make you want to buy a new machine.

Mar 13, 2018 6:47 PM in response to ErickRios

It appears that @Malignance is correct. Though understandably confusing for the rest of us.

This site give a better explanation

macos - Why is Airdrop not available between iPhone and old MBP - Ask Different

If you have a 2011 or newer, your air drop seems to only work between other macs.

the site does mention that you can upgrade the bluetooth chip to the 2012 version.

This was back in the day when Apple respected its customers and let us upgrade or improve their products. You know like RAM, or HD space or Batteries.

I understand why they stopped though, it's because we got smart and bought the cheapest models, (lowest RAM and HD, and then replaced them with newer faster more affordable options that were available the same day.

Same old Apple story.

Apr 7, 2018 4:25 PM in response to cpage

I wonder what Mercedes Benz or BMW would do if they could "Force" us to use only their brake pads, gasoline and tires? And wouldn't they be excited if they could suddenly tell us that their cars are no longer compatible with the new pavement that just got put on the road in our neighborhood so we have to upgrade to a new car. This is ridiculous!

Yes, I have the same issue. I have owned over 12 macs over the last 23 years and purchased over 10 iphones between myself my wife and kids and who knows how many ipods. It is beyond frustrating that apple makes products obsolete by refusing to communicate with older versions. I guess they do it because they can.

Apr 10, 2018 11:05 AM in response to Linc Davis

I too had the lack of choice for AirDrop connections on my wife's mid 2010 17" MacBook Pro as well. Neither recent laptops or iDevices worked. It has the latest 10.13.4 updates using combo updaters. When the last updater was applied, I noticed there was a firmware update applied. I then got my out early 2011 17" MacBook Pro that has all the combo 10.13.4 updates along with the firmware update. None of my iDevices or current laptops would connect to my 2011 MacBook Pro and it had the same lack of information below the AirDrop icon in the open program.

After turning off both computers, I restarted my wife's 2010 and turned AirDrop on for my her computer. I then restarted my 2011 and turned on AirDrop on mine and we had an Airdrop connection between these two elder statesmen of the Apple product line. So the older Bluetooth protocol can not be seen on the newer devices. Truly planned obsolete in a few years.

Apr 12, 2018 8:22 AM in response to mr_se30

Mr se30,

While I can't argue with Apple building in planned obsolescence into all of their products, in this case, this was a bluetooth technology that improved, not because of apple. Apple's first iteration if im not mistaken had something to do with their Bonjour communication. When Bluetooth got an update, apple was able to implement and improve thier AirPlay connection.

Apple should have called it AirPlay 2. so there was an identifier or something, but apple has never really been that bright when it comes to naming new versions of their products.

I hope that helps.

* I noticed i made a mistake in my previous post saying 2011 and newer, (should have said older)

Apr 19, 2018 10:24 AM in response to ErickRios

Hi All,

My airdrop was working before. Now suddenly it not working any more since 1 years. Is it due to MacOs?

Now I am getting this bellow message all the time

"AirDrop lets you share instantly with people nearby: To share with someone using a Mac, ask them to go to AirDrop in the Finder."

Any Idea! how to fix this issue.

Thanks a million

Best

San

AirDrop "Allow me to be discovered by" not showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.