Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 10 Recovery mode

Updating to IOS 10 on ipad pro and iphone 6S, goes into recovery mode. Nice job Apple!

Hope my new iphone 7 comes without the recovery mode pre installed.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Sep 13, 2016 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2016 10:35 AM

You are not alone. Hope you find some solace in that.

55 replies

Sep 13, 2016 11:01 AM in response to celliott147

Over the air, for me. Caused both my iPhone 6s Plus and iPad Pro to go into recovery mode. Happened after it downloaded, verified, restarted, installed, restarted, recovery mode. For both.

Currently iPhone is downloading AGAIN to try to "upgrade". If it doesn't work this time, I'll have to do "restore".

Edit: Second try at "upgrade" didn't work. Currently attempting a "restore". Sigh. (on iPhone)

Edit2: iTunes (12.5.1.21) gave an error during "restore" attempt. But iPhone is still installing the restore software. ??? I'll edit this post again after I see what happens after the iPhone installs the restore software.

Sep 13, 2016 11:11 AM in response to TheRealDenman

Mine was hungup on a millimeter left on the install status bar then eventually went to a black screen. Couldn't tell if the phone was on or off. Waited 20 minutes and held the power and home button until I finally got an Apple logo again. It went back and started the install stats bar all over again. The bar loaded quicker this time and slowed towards the end. After about 7-10 minutes the install completed and the iPhone went to an apple logo...then booted to the home screen!

Not sure what happened.

Sep 13, 2016 11:16 AM in response to TheRealDenman

Same problem on iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhone 6s+, i.e.

iPhone 6s+:

recovery mode->iTunes->update iTunes->reinstall 9.3.5->update to 10.0.1 offered->9.5.3 installed

iPad Pro 9.7 SUCCESS:

recovery mode->iTunes->reinstall 9.3.5->update to 10.0.1 offered->9.5.3 installed->update offered>10.0.1 installed

and SUCCESS with 6s+:

recovery mode->iTunes->reinstall 9.3.5->disconnect from iTunes>update to 10.0.1 offered->10.0.1 installed

Looks like the 2nd time was the charm for me.

IOS 10 Recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.