Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mickey face not speaking when tapped

I Have updated to iOS watch 3 and neither the Mickey or Minney watch faces speak when tapped. I am not I silent mode, the volume alert volume is set for max., and the toggle is set for tap function. I have removed and reinstalled the faces and have unpaired and repaired my watch to my phone. I have restarted the watch several times.

Apple Watch, watchOS 3

Posted on Sep 15, 2016 7:01 AM

35 replies

Dec 23, 2017 9:01 AM in response to Sajil08

Hi

To use the Mickey Mouse or Minnie Mouse watch faces on Apple Watch with their Tap to Speak Time feature, follow these steps:

• Select the Mickey Mouse or Minnie Mouse watch face:

Customize your watch face

• Check that Tap to Speak Time is enabled:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Sounds & Haptics - turn on Tap to Speak Time.

• When viewing the time on your watch, swipe up on the display to open Control Centre:

Check that Silent Mode is not enabled:

• Ensure that your Apple Watch has access to Wi-Fi:
    • Check that your Apple Watch is connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth and that your iPhone is connected to Wi-Fi.
    • Or, if your iPhone is not currently connected via Bluetooth, check that your watch has connected to a trusted Wi-Fi network as a fallback.
    • About Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on Apple Watch - Apple Support
  • Place your Apple Watch on the charger, connected to power.
  • Wait for around 15 minutes (it may take significantly longer) for the voices to download to your watch.
  • Test by waking the display and then tapping on the watch face.

If the feature still does not work as expected, then the following steps may help:

Remove the watch face from the collection on your Apple Watch:

Close the Watch app and restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

• On your iPhone: double-click the Home button, then swipe up on the Watch app preview.
  • Turn both devices off together, then restart your iPhone first:

Add the watch face back to the collection on your Apple Watch and repeat the first set of steps again:

More information:

Hear Mickey Mouse or Minnie Mouse speak the time - Apple Support

If the issue persists after following all of the steps above, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support for assistance:

May 30, 2017 12:08 PM in response to Electoman

If everything is updated and once your watch is accurately paired, keep your watch face as Mickey/Minnie.

1. Toggle and simply enable the prominent haptic on the Watch app on your iPhone.

2. Slide the Alert volume to maximum.

3. Come back to the Mickey watch face on the watch and Tap! You will hear the legend speaking the current time.

4. You can now change the alert volume and disable the prominent haptic if not required.

I think it's a bug apple needs to fix.

Hope I solved your problem.

Jul 10, 2017 7:57 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Ok I went through every one of the recommendations in the thread and none of them worked. What I finally did was update my iOS. I was holding off so I didn't lose battery, since 10.3.2 is a piece of xxxx. Turns out Apple holds these features hostage in an attempt to force you to update. The minute my iOS was updated Mickey started talking. Makes me hate apple even more.

My phone now has less than a 6 month lifespan since I caved and updated.

Nice. đź‘Ž-1F3FC;

Sep 29, 2017 4:26 AM in response to Electoman

OK, after trying many different suggestions, here’s what worked for me:

Unpairing and pairing did NOT work. Simply waiting 15 minutes did NOT work.

NOTE: I was connected to WiFi for all of the above AND below attempts.

1. I turned off the Auto Lock in settings so the phone would stay awake.

2. I opened “My Watch” on the phone, and deleted the Mickey watch face. (I had added only the Mickey)

3. I added BOTH Mickey AND Minnie faces to “My Watch” and left the phone on the “My Watch” screen for about 20 minutes.

Both Mickey and Minnie now speak the time audibly.

Oct 5, 2017 4:13 AM in response to luigifone

Make sure you are on good WiFi, keep watch awake, keep watch beside phone, and follow these steps:

OK, after trying many different suggestions, here’s what worked for me:

Unpairing and pairing did NOT work. Simply waiting 15 minutes did NOT work.

NOTE: I was connected to WiFi for all of the above AND below attempts.

1. I turned off the Auto Lock in settings so the phone would stay awake.

2. I opened “My Watch” on the phone, and deleted the Mickey watch face. (I had added only the Mickey)

3. I added BOTH Mickey AND Minnie faces to “My Watch” and left the phone on the “My Watch” screen for about 20 minutes.

Both Mickey and Minnie now speak the time audibly.

IF ONLY ONE speaks after doing this, simply toggle the “tap to speak time” switch off and back on for the one not speaking, and leave side by side for 15 more minutes with above restrictions.

Sep 15, 2016 7:05 AM in response to Electoman

Try to pair and unpaid your watch from the paired iPhone.

In this discussion: Re: Unable to get Mickey/Minnie to speak the time - Watch OS 3

F1FTY01F1FTYposted this solution: Update:

I contacted Apple Support and Brady instructed me to Un-pair my Watch from my iPhone and then Re-pair. Once I did that Mickey/Minnie begain to speak, pretty cool feature.

Sep 15, 2016 7:49 PM in response to Electoman

This is what you have to do:

1) Make sure your phone is connected to WiFi (unfortunately this is the only way)

2) Go to the Watch App on your iPhone

3) Activate the Mickey watch face - make sure the "Tap to Speak Time" feature is turn on

4) Leave phone on with the Watch app for 15 mins

After a short wait, it should be working. I read somewhere that is how long it takes to download the speech and made it available on the watch.

Seems true because after I did the above it worked.

Sep 20, 2016 7:14 PM in response to Electoman

After an unsuccessful visit to the Apple Store, I returned home and did the following to fix my issue with Mickey or Minnie not talking when tapped:

Ensured my phone was on my wifi.

Unpaired the phone.

Hard reset both devices and swiped all apps on my phone.

Paired the Apple Watch again and used the "Restore from Backup" option. I restored to my first backup (the watch is brand new and only had two backups listed).

Even after the re-pairing, the tap to speak time issue was still not resolved. I went to the watch app on the phone. I selected the Mickey Mouse face. I then went to the "Sounds and Haptic" option in Settings. I set the toggle to"Prominent Haptic" and turned the volume all the way up. I turned the haptic strength slide all the way to the right.

I then went back to my watch and tapped on Mickey and it worked again!!! I then changed my haptic and volume settings back to where I usually have them. I am one happy camper. Got worried there for a minute. I hope this helps you!

Mickey face not speaking when tapped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.