Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing.

Ive just attempted to restore my iPhone as it was in DFU mode and now I get the error

"iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing."

and the phone is stuck on the apple logo.

Any ideas

Posted on Sep 16, 2016 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2017 11:01 PM

connect charger with laptop. hard press both home and power button until you see iTunes icon on phone. you will restore and update selection. if you had back up on iCloud. restore it to factory setting.

32 replies

Sep 21, 2017 5:03 PM in response to KevFromWickford

After trying the home/power button combo about a dozen times and each time coming up the the "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value it missing." message, I did one thing different and it worked.

With my iPhone connected to my computer I did the reset until the iTunes logo came up, in iTunes it gave me two options in an alert/dialog box, if I wanted to "Update" or "Restore", I clicked restore. Then in another alert/dialog box it would ask me "Are you sure?" kind of thing. The first dozen times I continued, and it would do nothing. The last time however I clicked "Cancel" and then then clicked the Restore option that was in the iTunes application window. It then asked me again "Are you sure?" This time I clicked "Restore" (or whatever, not exactly sure, but I confirmed), and viola! it did it's thing!

Hope this helps.

Jan 25, 2018 7:12 PM in response to Brian_140.6

Thanks Brian! After trying everything out there that I read, your method worked for me!

Have iTunes open and then connect phone. For my iPhone 7 plus I had to hold the home button, the power button, and then the volume down for the restore screen to show. Then iTunes prompted me to update or restore. As Brian mentioned you hit restore then it will ask you are you sure hit cancel and then you should see that the iTunes options for update and restore are no longer greyed out and you can select restore and your phone should start processing.

BEWARE that it will erase everything on your phone but if you have a backup on iTunes or iCloud you should be good. Thankfully I had set my phone to back up on it's own 😊

iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The value is missing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.