Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Phone" app freeze on iOS 10

Hello,

I would like to report an issue related to "hangs up" problem on iOS 10, iPhone 5S

PHENOMENON

App does not response or need to wait for few minutes to response.

RELATED APPS

• Phone
  • Here map

WHAT I DID

The problem occurs after I upgrade my iPhone 5S to iOS 10

If you have any suggestion other than rolling back to iOS 9x, please kindly teach me.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Luck Hoang.

iPhone 5s, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 17, 2016 9:50 AM

201 replies

Jan 4, 2017 11:14 AM in response to hoangtrunghuy

This problem still hasn't been fixed for me.

I use a Bluetooth headset every day. Ever since the latest two updates to iOS 10 I have had issues answering calls. The entire screen freezes and the person cannot hear me (I tried in person with my wife). It happens about 75% of the time which is insane to me that apple hasn't fixed it. I tried removing iCloud contacts (because I use gmail) tried resetting phone to factory and restoring through wifi. Nothing has worked so far.

Joe

Jan 5, 2017 11:28 AM in response to AnG_JoE

iphone 5, iOS 10.2 (14C92), the phone app freezes, not sure if

it is random or in connection with getting new voicemail. Very

inconvenient. I have restarted the iphone and the phone app

more than enough times. Hope they fix this soon. Also at times

the phone becomes sluggish, e.g. scrolling a page in Safari,

sometimes just wait and wait for the page to unfreeze. It's

like Windows Vista of iOS :-)

Sep 18, 2016 8:55 AM in response to hoangtrunghuy

Hi hoangtrunghuy,

I understand that some of the apps on your iPhone are not responsive after updating to iOS 10. I know that it's important to have all of your apps working as expected, so I'm happy to help.

Check out this article with some troubleshooting tips for this issue:
If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Sep 18, 2016 5:59 PM in response to Leanne_68

Hi Starr.C,

Thank you very much for your advice.

However, I already did restart both app and the iPhone for several times but no luck.

And the app here is "Phone" app which is built-in and can not be reinstall.

(I hope there are some ways to get console log of iPhone so maybe I can report the problem in more detailed).

"Phone" app is a crucial one and I'm afraid it freeze on urgent issue then I can not use the basic feature of a phone, calling. So I decided to roll back to iOS 9.x and wait for fixes for iOS 10.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Luck Hoang

Sep 18, 2016 11:51 PM in response to Leanne_68

Hello Starr.C

Let me update status of this issue.

I accidentally restore iOS 10 (same as factory reset) and "Phone" app is fine.

However, my backup is gone since iTune asks for password which I didn't enter when created backup.

As a result, my phone is OK but I need to setup as new one.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Luck Hoang

Sep 20, 2016 10:37 AM in response to hoangtrunghuy

hoangtrunghuy,

I too have been experiencing this on my iPhone 6s Plus. Just got it last night. I turned it on, updated it, did a factory reset, and then restored an iCloud backup. From the home screen I'll tap the phone app icon and it will open but "lock-up" and then crash/close. When I open it immediately after it appears to work.

This is an iPhone 6s Plus,

My previous was a 6 Plus, and it was even less happy with iOS 10.

I'm hoping that it needs a day or 2 to sort out. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 10.0.2 here this week or early next.

Sep 22, 2016 5:54 AM in response to hoangtrunghuy

I Upgraded to IOS 10 on my iPhone 6 Plus, everything works fine except my phone app freezes sporadically. I tap to switch between contacts and dialer, or click to make a call. It's like the screen stops interacting with the phone app. I've had this happen when a call is coming in and it won't let me answer the call. The only thing that has helps is to close the phone app completely and reopen it.

I didn't have this problem until after the upgrade. Is this a bug or some configuration I need to change.

Sep 22, 2016 8:49 AM in response to hoangtrunghuy

I too have this problem. In fact I have had to reboot my phone four times while trying to post to this forum. I never had this problem with my phone locking up or freezing prior to iOS 10. Once I did the upgrade my phone has been locking up or freezing randomly. Whether it's in the messaging app or whether I'm launching Safari. I ultimately have to hold the power button and the menu button down and force it to reboot. Then it works for a while until it freezes again.

Don't know what else to do I am not a very Apple savvy person as I've always stayed away from Apple. I figured I would give Apple a try and since I've got it I've had nothing but problems. People saying they can't hear me which supposedly was fixed and I was 10 but I can't get my phone going long enough to try it out before it freezes.

Sep 22, 2016 7:27 PM in response to hoangtrunghuy

One thing I noticed with the phone app freezing is that it may be related to the voicemail portion. It seems that apple built in voice transcription in iOS 10 and I think that is causing some of these issues. I notice when I tap on a voicemail to listen to it, it closes the message and continues that behavior until it finishes transcribing.

I can say that the freezing has been less of an issue in the last 24hrs.

"Phone" app freeze on iOS 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.