Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth audio stuttering on Sierra

Is anyone experiencing bluetooth audio stuttering issues since upgrading to Sierra?

I'm on a Macbook Pro. Pairs fine but audio skips like a scratched C.D.

El Captain had no such issue.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 1:03 PM

118 replies

Jan 27, 2017 7:22 PM in response to Barido

I had this problem too (using OS 10.8.5). I wanted to play music through my Harman Kardon speaker. It worked fine on my iPhone but would be choppy/stutter on the Macbook. You need to fiddle around with the Macbook's bluetooth settings.

Open up Terminal and type:

defaults read com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent

These are my settings:

{

AllowRoleSwitches = 1;

"Apple Bitpool Max (editable)" = 64;

"Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" = 53;

"Apple Initial Bitpool (editable)" = 53;

"Enable AptX codec" = 1;

"Negotiated Bitpool" = 53;

"Negotiated Bitpool Max" = 53;

"Negotiated Bitpool Min" = 53;

"Stream - Flush Ring on Packet Drop (editable)" = 0;

"Stream - Max Outstanding Packets (editable)" = 100;

"Stream - Use dynamic bitpool (editable)" = 1;

"Stream Resume Delay" = "0.75";

}

Alternatively, open up Bluetooth Explorer and open "Special Options". Try these settings:

User uploaded file

Hope it works for you

Mar 6, 2017 10:14 AM in response to Paulowil

Still not working for me, about 4 months after I first observed the problem by upgrading to Sierra from Yosemite.

These solutions did not work:

• Paulowil's suggestion to follow adampreiser's blog entry
  • Eagles2k3's suggestion to double click on the internal microphone entry on the input tab of sound preferences
  • Aerosm's suggestion of leaving the bluetooth sound preferences open
  • Aerosm's other suggestion of using the hidden reset of the bluetooth module using the hidden Shift-Option-BluetoothMenu
  • DaviAugusto's suggestion of unpairing and re-pairing the device

At this point I think I'm zeroing in on a solution: switching PC vendors.

Jan 9, 2017 6:50 AM in response to Irncpl

lrncpl, I've been following this thread for weeks, and thanks for being so dogged in pursuing this bug.

I was listening to my Bluedio headphones for weeks and weeks with no trouble under El Capitan and as soon I switched to Sierra the audio quality fell off the cliff: stuttering every couple of seconds.

The only other bluetooth device I have connected is an Apple bluetooth mouse of some sort (not sure which model.)

I've tried all of these suggestions multiple times and have received no relief.

Jan 9, 2017 11:41 AM in response to vtdanielson

Thank you, I tried going to System Preferences->Bluetooth but I am still having the stutter. I'm tempted to say it is better, but it is difficult to quantify: there is definitely still some stuttering but it is hard to judge if there was an improvement. I'm still hearing audio drops every couple of seconds.

I also put in a report to support, and am working with them through chat.

Jan 29, 2017 11:02 AM in response to Barido

I got a new pair of Bluetooth headphones (Sony MDR1000x) and I had this problem. Pretty annoying as everything else works fine with them. I had some QC35s for a little while - no such problem, but the Sonys use aptx which I think means more data - so maybe that caused the issue.

I browsed around a bit and saw a solution which suggested switching off handoff in Settings>General.

I did this and it seems to have fixed it (handoff uses bluetooth to speak to iPhone/ipad in the background about webpages and so forth and the choppiness was worse when browsing).

I will let you know if this solution is permanent - it has been okay for about 30 mins. I have no other bluetooth devices, so this may not fix things if you do, as the data transfer must be right on the threshold for this change to work.

Ludicrous that Apple didn't sort this out, as not being able to use handoff at the same time as using bluetooth headphones which use aptx is baffling.

Feb 22, 2017 9:51 AM in response to Barido

I have this same issue (MacBook Pro Retina 15 2014, Sierra 10.12.3, Bose noise cancelling headphones).

It seems to play ok sometimes but more often than not it stutters so badly that is unlistenable.

Nothing so far has worked: reboot, pram zap, bluetooth reset (option+shift menu), disconnect/reconnect etc.

Curiously I thought I'd share what seems to work. I open the bluetooth system preferences and leave the window open. While the window is open the stuttering stops completely. Open another system pref and it starts up again.

I know it's completely daft to leave the window open - but I can live with that if it 'cures' the problem.

I'm sure with this info Apple should be able to find out what is cutting in and causing the stuttering.

Feb 22, 2017 10:03 AM in response to Khusie

I unsuccessfully tried other methods (PRAM, reset cache delete Bluetooth preferences, etc.). The Bluetooth module reset using the option+shift menu worked after I deleted and then re-paired the devices. If you fiddled with the audio bluetooth advanced options using the Bluetooth Explorer app, you may need to reset it back to default. I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) and Bose QC35. I also recently updated the Bose headset firmware.

Leaving the bluetooth system preferences window open worked as well (not sure why this worked), although it sometimes still dropped out but not as much.

Mar 1, 2017 6:49 AM in response to Barido

I have the same problem as others are describing. I am using iMac 5k and Bose Soundlink Mini II.

Contacted Bose yesterday and they gave this response.These system

'These systems were never designed to work with PCs or Macs. They are designed as a portable speaker.

In your case the Mac is not compatible. The Mac uses a different bluetooth technology compared to Bose systems.

There is really nothing I can advise at this point. Possibly having a look at an A2DP mac dongle on Amazon to resolve the issue but again, this uses third party accessories so cannot be guaranteed.'

The mention of A2DP led me to this: https://adampreiser.com/macbook-pro-bluetooth-audio-fix-a2dp/ but I haven't tried it yet.

Anyone know much about 'A2DP' on iMacs?

Mar 7, 2017 2:41 AM in response to RickShrewsbury

Further to my suggestion of leaving the Bluetooth Prefs window open to cure the stuttering, I have found that this does not work if the window is opened BEFORE connecting the headset.

If, like me, you connect the bluetooth headset every day, you have to first close the Bluetooth prefs and reopen it once you have reconnected. It can take a few seconds of stuttering to settle down too. Strange eh?

Mar 15, 2017 11:39 AM in response to eagles2k3

from eagles2k3 - "A solution that has worked for me is to open Sound Preferences and on the Input Tab double-click on Internal Microphone so it is set to Built-In. Immediately solved my problem."

eagles2k3 - thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This did the trick for me. You have ended countless hours of frustration and given me back my seamless music. Don't know why it works and frankly don't care. Thanks again! 😀

Bluetooth audio stuttering on Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.