Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Office 2016 is not working after updating to Sierra

Hello,

I am facing an issue since i updated the os from El Capitan to Sierra last night, when you open Excel or Word it shows an error report, "Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close"

User uploaded file

I sent the report to Microsoft, Re Started the program, re started the computer but unfortunately its still not working, and it's kind of a bad situation since i use these apps at work almost everyday.

Please do let me know if anyone know how to solve the issue.

Thank you,

Thisara.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), FileZilla

Posted on Sep 21, 2016 10:29 PM

90 replies

Nov 12, 2017 10:12 AM in response to Thisara8

Has anyone else noticed that their computers are slowing down processing things, especially when a back drive goes off to backup your system? Carbonite is claiming that my hard drive is going. But I believe that my hard drive was replaced with the last year or so. This is insane that my hard drive should need to be replaced every time a new IOS is introduced.

Joani

Nov 12, 2017 11:08 AM in response to Csound1

Iphone and Macbook Pro. Believe it or not, but so far my iPad has been okay. But then it is the newest of all of the devices. I have already been in constant contact with a senior technician on all of this. I just wanted to see if anyone else is having the same issues as he says, he does not have this problem yet, every iPhone user who has updated their IOS is having the problems I see. Also, my iPhone is being used to gather data on these issues that is how involved I am in this IOS problem.

Nov 13, 2017 6:48 AM in response to TheLeigh

Why in the world are you talking nonsense about this? This issue was NOT caused by Apple at all. It’s a quite normal progression of software development. Apple can’t wait for software developers to give their permission to advance their own operating system. Microsoft knows that very well and released a newer version that works. Your issue was caused by YOU and YOU alone because you failed to keep your software updated to the latest releases. Neither Apple nor Microsoft are the problem. They did what they were supposed to do. You didn’t do your job as a user which is to keep your system updated.

Nov 13, 2017 9:45 AM in response to Thisara8

I am surprised at the aggressive nature of this response. Since when is feedback nonsense!! I had a genuine problem which an update caused. Had I known that a major part of what apple sold me would not work till the provider had updated their software i might have waited. Or indeed at least been ready. Why is this nonsense!!

Not matter how good or big one gets try an remember that customers can have a view, especially as they are not as close to the detail as Apple might be. I had an issue it was resolved not by apple though caused by the update but by the software provider, this may be useful to others.

Nov 13, 2017 12:36 PM in response to TheLeigh

Again, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure your third party software is compatible BEFORE applying an update. Apple is not in business to babysit users. Neither is Microsoft. You could have checked numerous sources to see if any Office update was available. Add to this the fact that third party developers like Microsoft have early access to any updates Apple releases for the very purpose of making sure their product is ready for users. And they did have it ready. You just failed to make sure you were ready. Your assertion that this was incompetence on Apple’s part is still nonsense.

Nov 13, 2017 2:44 PM in response to lkrupp

Mr. Nasty, my computer and phone are all up to date. In fact, that is one of the other issues. EVerytime I do an IOS or MAC operating update, I have issues with everything including my hard driving needing to be replaced constantly. So Mr. McNASTY, you do not have a clue what you are talking about since I update everything in a timely manner.

Nov 13, 2017 2:50 PM in response to Joani

Joani wrote:

Mr. Nasty, my computer and phone are all up to date. In fact, that is one of the other issues. EVerytime I do an IOS or MAC operating update, I have issues with everything including my hard driving needing to be replaced constantly. So Mr. McNASTY, you do not have a clue what you are talking about since I update everything in a timely manner.

Everything other than the software that needs updating it seems.

Nov 15, 2017 11:24 AM in response to Thisara8

I had a problem with Word and Excel 2008 version after I updated to High Sierra. I uninstalled Microsoft Office 2008, emptied my trash, restarted the computer and reinstalled Office 2008. WORKS PERFECTLY AGAIN! I tried to reinstall 3 times and it failed so I emptied trash, restarted computer and then tried - worked! Hope this helps you.

Sep 22, 2016 4:23 AM in response to abdulbasitnawab

Please, for your own sake, do NOT follow those instruction!!!!

Patching your software with mysterious files from "some guy on the internet" is about as safe as leaving your kids in the care of "random guy living under a bridge".

You have no idea what that software is doing or where it came from. It could be spyware, you may be giving all your banking information, passwords, etc to some unknown source. Once this rogue software is on your computer, it can do anything.

Check the microsoft.com site for updates to Office 2016, and only install the updates from Microsoft.

Sep 22, 2016 4:51 AM in response to léonie

I have installed the Office 2016 for Mac Version 15.11.2.150701, i downloaded this automatic update and installed it but still can't open any of these office apps to run the automatic update... any idea how to run this stand alone ? or download the update and install directly, ofc from the Microsoft... anyway thank you very much for your reply..

Office 2016 is not working after updating to Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.