Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Sierra problems with Screen Sharing

Hello,

After update to Sierra in both of my Macs, I can´t use Screen Sharing. I normally use my second computer using Screen Sharing, but now, each time that I connect I see the screen splitted but the active areas to use and press like Sleep, Restart, and Shut Down keep the original position. This mean that if I like Shut Down the remote computer, I need press just in the left of Sleep... some really strange.

I try connect from remote Android VNC and the screen look also splitted and with the same problem.

Anyone have the same problem or some idea of how to fix?
Thanks in advance!

User uploaded file

macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 23, 2016 7:08 AM

39 replies

Mar 16, 2017 10:12 AM in response to airbon3

I too am seeing this problem with a headless Mac Pro running 10.12.3. Have tried using many version of Mac as the VNC client and see the issue across all versions. Definitely an issue isolated to the VNC Server.

May be coincidental but I also ran the Server.app (which was replaced with macOS Server in Sierra) before upgrading from 10.10 to 10.12. Only fix I have found was to plug in a monitor.

Have been managing Mac OS in the enterprise for about 10 years and have never seen a bug this serious go without resolution for so long.

Sep 24, 2016 12:57 PM in response to airbon3

Solved!
A basic omission: After the run the Sierra update in both machines, I forget manually start the server.app after the update on the same date (few minutes before). This cause the problem.
I run the server.app, server run OK, and no more problem with the Screen Sharing.
Maybe neither repeat this mistake, but just in case that be usefull I leave my explanation.

Cheers,

Sep 26, 2016 3:41 AM in response to mohd kasni

Hi, no, only one time from the applications folder. This is because I run the updates, close the screen that Server show after the update, and inmediatelly run the Sierra install. When I finish the installation have this problem. After finish the installation of Server, running one time the app, all work fine again. Hope that helps.

Sep 26, 2016 4:52 AM in response to airbon3

Hi Airbon3,

your explanation is not very clear.

I have had this problem as well, when doing update installation to macOS Sierra.

The machine I did the update on happened to be running "Server" and prior to the macOS Sierra update I installed the macOS Sierra Server as this was a prompted update from the App store.

The problem I had was that when I then tried to access the machine post installation via "Apple Remote Desktop V3.8" and Apple's in built VNC Screen Sharing application, I either got black screen or split screen as per your screen shot.

To tried to fix this following instructions from offical Apple documentation: https://help.apple.com/remotedesktop/mac/3.8/

But this did not solve problem and it continued even after doing "kickstart" and rebooting the machine (using SSH to access the machine via command line).

Eventually I resolved the problem by plugging a monitor into the remote (macOS Sierra) machine and rebooted it.

Now I found that I could access the machine via ARD successfully (& VNC) and then in turn ran the Server application via ARD on macOS Sierra machine.

This would not have been possible otherwise, as I needed to have ARD access up and running before I could log into the macOS Sierra and then re-run the Server app.

While this is ok for the purpose of diagnosing and working around the problem, it is not a satisfactory solution as I have a number of mini Mac (5) that are running as servers (some with the Server app, some just running with desktop software and VMWare Fusion to run VM with web servers, databases and other software. These are all sitting in rack and non of them have monitors attached....

I am now delaying doing further macOS Sierra updates pending getting a proper resolution to this problem.

I have not as yet tried to reboot and access the upgraded machine to see if once I disconnect the monitor, it returns to being inaccessible again.

I think this is a bug that Apple needs to resolve. Not sure if they monitor this forum....

Cheers,

Zebity.

Sep 26, 2016 5:11 AM in response to zebity-spring

Hi Zebity, I try explain me better:

My two macs, same network, different location @ home. I use mainly one and I connect to the second via Screen Sharing. Before I install Sierra, I run the last updates and security fix from Apple Store. Normally on this are included the updates to OS Server. Always, after update OS Server, a installation screen show only the first time after the update. Because I was hurry to install Sierra, I close this screen, without follow the steps.

After the Sierra installation on both computers I can´t look the screen, via Screen Sharing, from the remote computer and I make this post.

Later, trying how to fix, I go physically to the remote computer, plugging a monitor, I execute the server app, finish the process and from this, all work fine again.

For sure is some related to the screen resolution on remote computer when not have a monitor attached, and in my case, also the unfinished update of Server app.

Yes, mine also before fix, when show the black screen I press ENTER and when move the pointer can look the login screen but splitted.

After your post I did the test: the problem start again when I disconnect the monitor 😟

For sure Apple need fix this. I also can´t have a monitor on this computer.

I´ll do further tests to try found what happen...

Sep 26, 2016 6:20 AM in response to zebity-spring

Update: I already do some tests, and the problem always show when the monitor is not plugged in. With the splitted screen I connect the monitor and the screen correct the image automatically. I try assign a resolution, etc, but always after restart, if the monitor is unplugged, the screen again show splitted. The only fix that I found until now is connect the monitor for some seconds after each restart, and because this are Server, I don´t need restart too frequently and run well. This is a homemade solution, I hope that Apple launch soon a fix for this.
Cheers,

macOS Sierra problems with Screen Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.