Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full-screen Netflix video playback bug???

Hello.

I've been having a problem with Netflix video playback in Safari 10.0 when watching in full-screen.

Every ~15-30 seconds, the video playback in Netflix will jiggle for a fraction of a second and then go back to normal for ~15-30 seconds and will continue this cycle until the video is finished.

The best way I can describe what this jiggle effect looks like is like rewinding a VHS tape; i.e, the video rapidly shakes back and forth for a split second and then goes back to normal playback.

This 'jiggling' effect doesn't seem to happen on any other video streaming-capable sites like YouTube or Facebook, just on Netflix.

Obviously, it gets very distracting from the movie or TV show I'm trying to watch and I would like to find a way to fix it.

I've already tried resetting the PRAM, and it didn't work.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it very much! 🙂

Specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Storage: 256 GB (Flash Storage)

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 23, 2016 2:17 PM

17 replies

Sep 23, 2016 4:10 PM in response to Shinigami195

Hi Shinigami,

I've been facing a similar issue, and after hours of searching, I think I found someone who is facing the same error as I am. Your description of a VHS tape rewind is exactly what it's looking like for me.

Could you please check the questions, comments and reports I wrote in the following thread?

Re: Flickering on Netflix after Sierra update

So far, the only thing that apparently worked for me was running Netflix on Firefox. The same issue happened on Chrome.

Sep 23, 2016 5:08 PM in response to grpires

Hey, grpires. Thanks for replying.

I wish I could test your method. Unfortunately, the parental controls on my MacBook Pro are activated and because of this, whenever I open Firefox it always has this "Firefox is attempting to access secure sites" window that pops up, and every time I close it, it instantly pops back up again, and it makes using Firefox virtually impossible to use.

I did notice, however, that some people tried putting the cursor in the top right corner of the screen so the Menu Bar was showing. I think I might try that. 🙂

-Shinigami195

Sep 23, 2016 6:31 PM in response to Shinigami195

Hi Shinigami,

Sorry to hear about that! Let me know if you have the chance to run Firefox in the future.

About the Menu Bar, yes, that works! The playback bug only happens when Netflix is in fullscreen mode and nothing else is rendering on top of it. You'll just have to get used to seeing the menu and playback controls - I still want to be able to watch it as before, so I'll search for more solutions that do not require usage of other browsers. I'll let you know if I find anything else.

Oct 9, 2016 2:47 AM in response to grpires

Here's what we've got so far:

Issue

- Netflix flickering

- Netflix videos rewind like a VHS for about a second

- Happens in medium intervals, from 30 seconds up to 2 minutes

- Happens exclusively on Safari and on Chrome fullscreen

- Moving the mouse to the top of the screen to show the menu bar (hence not being full screen)

- In some devices, changing the resolution from "default for display" to "scaled" and selecting something different than default removes flickering

- Reboot in recovery mode, NVRAM reset and SMC reset didn't work

- Only "solution" so far has been playing on Firefox

- Affects mostly 2015 MacBook Pros, but we have reports of 2015 MacBooks (12-inch) and 2011 MacBook Pros (13-inch, non-retina)

Discussion threads

- Random screen flickering while watching videos.

- Full-screen Netflix video playback bug???

- Re: Flickering on Netflix after Sierra update

- Re: flickering screen while playing netflix

Reported devices with the issue

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (Awesomedude415)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015, 128GB SSD) (grpires)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch) (teamkillerkk)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (Shinigami195)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015, 128GB SSD) (plantbased)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015, 512GB SSD) (gabrillo)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (mathisiak)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (rfr.ferreira)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015, 256GB SSD) (plasticdoughnut)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (Tobiasfl)

- MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) (sepzozo)

- MacBook Pro (Non-retina, 15-inch, 2011) (broncodude37)

Full-screen Netflix video playback bug???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.