Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Headphones not working

My iPhone 7 only works 1/2 of the time with the headphone to lightning jack. I have to answer or start a call, then I can plug in my headphones. If I start the call with the headphones in, no one can hear me.

Anyone else notice this issue?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Sep 29, 2016 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2017 2:43 PM

Just got new lightning earphones, but when I tried plugging into iPad, played through speakers.

Fix: shut dow iPad, restart with lightning earphones plugged in (I'm not sure if that is really required, but it worked for me). Sound now plays through lightning earphones on iPad (iPad Pro 12", iOS 10.2).

70 replies

Feb 2, 2017 10:04 AM in response to Loomis11x

Even I have the same or even severe problems which include everything mentioned in this thread. If I initiate a call from favourites on lock screen I can hear what others are saying but my earphone mic doesn't work. I reinsert it and it works fine. Then after maybe 5-10 mins I can't hear anything and I realise its time to reinsert it once again. Same goes for the incoming call as well. The problem was little bit less on connector to use old 3.5mm earphones. But can't find a way to eliminate this problem.

Did anyone go to apple service centre and got something or other replaced? Don't know how can I replicate the same error there as its not consistent. By the way I am using iOS 10.2 if it matters. Don't seem to understand if we need to wait for iOS 11 or 12 or when in the world will it get rectified! Totally frustrated!

Apr 14, 2017 3:18 PM in response to chetancj

Update to my own comment above:

I did contact Apple customer care over phone about this problem. They were extremely helpful and they did listen to my problem. They sent me a new pair of earphones and also the lightening to 3.5 mm adapter. The courier guy takes your old pair back too. Until they receive the old earphones and converter back they do keep the amount for a new piece blocked on your card and will return the amount if your headset doesn't have any physical damage.

By the way, I am in Ireland and here the apple doesn't own the stores, instead re-sellers own the so called apple stores and they are extremely unhelpful. They have excuse for everything and also are not much interested in attending you even if you go to buy something new, so forget help for any problems.

Other way round, I would say Apple itself is extremely helpful and does take care that their customers are satisfied. So I would suggest all of you who are having problems, just contact customer care on call and they will do the needful.

Cheers! 🙂

Apr 26, 2017 3:03 AM in response to Loomis11x

I recently got the iPhone7!!! The software is up to date ect,The EarPods sound exactly the same as the previous ones the up down volume buttons work,I tap the middle button one to pause the some,this also works,but when I try to skip a track by double tapping the middle button it just forwards the song a little bit,I've tried tapping it faster I've tried tapping it slower and still it does this!!!

Jun 13, 2017 5:37 AM in response to Loomis11x

Getting rid of the headphone jack was the stupidest thing Apple has ever done. I get that Bluetooth may be the future but it isn't the present. I have a pair of $350 headphones that are now useless after having to replace my phone over a cracked screen.

Picture this: you're on an 18 hour flight and your Bluetooth headphone batteries only last five hours. You can't charge your phone and use corded headphones simultaneously. Not to mention the sound degradation between Bluetooth and a cord.

It's a joke and I hope Apple reverses the decision on the next model.

In the meantime I am waging a battle with Apple, demanding they compensate me the cost of my headphones. Sound only comes out of one ear when using the adapter (I have tried two adapters with the same result and the adapter works fine with another pair of corded headphones).

Everyone with this issue should bombard Apple with complaints.

Jul 2, 2017 4:04 PM in response to Mikri

I'm on the latest iOS update, and also have the problem. I also have the smart battery case. Today this happened. Some clues:

The phone was in low power mode. A call came in and I plugged in the earbuds. No audio except on the phone's internal speaker. I unplugged the earbuds and plugged in the charger for a few seconds. Then when I plugged in the earbuds, the audio worked. Something in the power management code looks very suspicious.

iPhone 7 Headphones not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.