Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sierra killed my Canon EOS Utility

Hi,

If anyone at Apple is paying attention, listen up!

You built a computer empire on graphics ability, design, photograph (remember when the majority of you 3% marketshare were arty/designer types banging on to their normal friends and colleague how great Macs were??) - Please include Canon in you development work on new OS, Sierra has killed (an albeit third party) application that people use daily in work, commerce and hobbies Canon EOS Utility no longer works in the final release of Sierra - It worked on the betas until very recently - Now it opens, but doesn't recognise EOS digital bodies!!! No more remote shooting, no more instant 'retina' reviews on screen - honestly I can get that on XP which I have on a partition - WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING AT????!

What tweak was made at the last minute that broke this - why wasn't Canon given a chance to fix this so it could be patched on Sierra launch day?????? What was the huge problem that suddenly appeared too late to allow Canon to look at it? I'm sure Canon would love to closedown it's entire MAC software division and save a reasonable sized fortune in the process - Why give them a reason to do that and tell all their loyal photographers, you know what, we only write Manufacture certified tools and drivers for Windows???

Seems you've also stopped most of the PIXMA printers from working too - You cannot lay the blame solely at Canon's door, you've been developing this OS release for at least a year and probably 3 years in some form - Allow your peripherals partners to keep up?

You don't continue to be the best by not playing well with others.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Sep 29, 2016 3:13 PM

44 replies

Jan 10, 2017 2:38 PM in response to Pamsdottir

Hi Pamsdottir,

I too have same issue with my Canon Rebel XT and its 'antique' CF drive. Photos on my new iMac with Mac OS 10.12 does not recognize the camera connection. Image capture shows the camera, but I can't do anything with it.

I haven't gotten rid of my old iMac (2007) with OS 10.9.5 on it. It recognizes the Rebel XT in iPhotos just fine as it always has.

For issues like this, I usually keep a cloned copy of the older OS on a spare bootable drive ( I use SuperDuper to clone) and have found it very handy especially when Apple has changed things and left me behind with regards to software and or devices (e.g. my old Canon XT, my old ScanSnap 510, etc) that I still have. I can boot from the clone and get what I need done since the old OS works just fine.

I know it is a work-around, if you have or can get a copy of OS 10.9. you could create a bootable spare drive and be able to use your Rebel XT with the older OS, copy off your photos and then reboot and import your photos from the spare drive to the newer resident OS.

For me, given that this seems to be a recurring theme for newer operating systems, I'll keep my old iMac as a handy spare (my utility go-to computer) and won't be updating it. Runs just fine. I guess they expect everyone to be buying new cameras when they get a new computer.

Apr 5, 2017 6:49 PM in response to Ranger.Jay

Fixed, my lily white behind! It is NOT fixed. My Canon digital rebel xt mounted just fine two years ago. Mounted just fine last year even with older OS. My old 2006 MacBook Pro running frigging Leopard sees it without a problem. Now, with my 2011 that I have had for about 3 years....no more Canon recognized at all. It is not recognized in the USB listing, in Finder, in Lightroom, in iPhoto, in Photos, or even in ImageCapture. Sierra does not even recognize the card reader that I bought to get around the issue. ***!!??!!?? I have over $3k invested in this camera with its filters, additional lenses, etc. I DO NOT have the money or desire to buy a "new" updated camera. Why can't Apple keep its stuff together and leave the things that work alone? We went Mac in this home due to the graphics and lack of OS problems. If Apple cannot keep the tech for Canon cameras, which a lot of people use, operational and make sure that they are recognized by the Mac, then they are going to lose business.

May 24, 2017 2:54 AM in response to Airfield Geek

Old school solution, applicable to all software issues of this nature. I am sorry to be the voice of the old school mentality but seems it is still relevant. And before I start to toot my own horn and sound old and wise, I am having this same delema and wouldn't have found this post if I wasn't. So...

Many of you replyers mentioned you are professional photogs and this tool of tethering is essential, which I strongly agree with and am a pro as well. We have been too haste to update software before we know all our tools will work with nothing changed. This solution is moreso preventitive planning. Simply do not update your system os, and or applications until you are sure your tools, especially the ones you utilize for your profession are proven completely compatible through other people's useage and reviewing. Or if you have multiple machines, you can try it with them the peace of mind knowing you can fall back on the machine you have dialed in and am cautious to update.

Since we are all over eager to update our software, we probably share that we are utilizing time machine (for example I didn't start using till two years ago), so hopefully you can use that to go back an os to when your equipment tethered correctly. Although I'm not sure about that beinf possible.

Although I have sponsorship/test driver deals with Canon (& cert pro), Apple, Wacom, Dell Monitor and couple others, I call it how I see it and Apple still isn't now at the level of comprehensive testing before new releasing os's, especially for compatability with older equipment, and still rely on us users as the Ginny pigs.

On a different but similar note, I haven't tried wifi for canon connection, can someone tell me how well this works? Speed as well?

Jun 1, 2017 5:20 AM in response to OSRNSI

Although I have sponsorship/test driver deals with Canon (& cert pro), Apple, Wacom, Dell Monitor and couple others, I call it how I see it and Apple still isn't now at the level of comprehensive testing before new releasing os's, especially for compatability with older equipment, and still rely on us users as the Ginny pigs.

Apple do not have to ensure compatibility with older software, the software manufacturer is responsible for keeping their software functional as the operating system it runs on changes. Of all manufacturers Canon are very bad at that part of their job. It shows a lack of care about their customers.

Jun 1, 2017 6:00 AM in response to Airfield Geek

Airfield Geek wrote:

Hi,

Seems all the bellyaching at and about Canon, was only partly justified!

The latest Sierra update has - Hey Presto - fixed the USB tethered functions in all there glory, remote adjustment of settings, timer and interval shutter release, all now magically working again.

Apple, what did you do and then fail to acknowledge as your fault - Canon get some major stick for not keeping their utilities up to date, but with your co-operation all this could and should have been avoided!

Canon I'm sorry!

Adam

This may have solved your dilemma but to keep the blame on Apple for this is utter nonsense. The fault is entirely Canons failure:

Canon will support their products within the lifetime of that product. Apple provides developers with the OS's months before they release giving Canon and all other companies time to either develop working drivers or to drop support for their own products. Apple does not have a stake in Canon supporting or denying support for products Canon makes. Blaming Apple for Canons decisions is like blaming your television manufacturer when a program you like to watch goes off the air.

Oct 3, 2016 5:53 AM in response to Airfield Geek

I have also had this issue! And I'm going out of my mind. I have a CF card that I don't have a reader for and can't get my photos (which is my business!!) off the camera. All the CF readers I have read up on lately are saying they corrupt the images. And I just can't risk it! Its been a week now since the shoot and I am pulling my hair out with the stress!

Apple, Canon get this issue sorted ASAP!!

Oct 3, 2016 8:50 AM in response to IMacRYP

While it's an annoying work-around, you can download your photo using Dropbox and a wired USB connection. You can get a free Dropbox account (I'm sure other cloud services can do this) and set it up to automatically download photos to any connected camera when plugged in, to any folder you choose. Not as convenient as WiFi but will work until Apple and Canon learn how to dance again.

Oct 14, 2016 7:12 PM in response to Airfield Geek

For the meantime I'm using the Image Capture app which is included in your Applications folder. It recognizes my Canon 7D (and I'm assuming all Canon cameras). I became familiar with the Image Capture app because that's what I use to retrieve movie files and stills from my GoPro cameras. I believe the app comes pre-installed on all Mac computers.

Sierra killed my Canon EOS Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.