Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Home App (no response)

I have the Philips Bridge with several bulbs, and they work fine 100% with the Hue App all of the time, when I set up the Home App on the phone though, anywhere from immediately to 1 day, I get this:

User uploaded file

The only fix is to remove Home from the App, re-pair the bridge again (which is already still paired, but removing home unpairs it), and setting everything up again. Then, again, anywhere from immediately to 1 day or so, it goes back to the No Response message and nothing works (From Home App, Hue App ALWAYS works, even when I see this "no response" message in Home.

Anyone have any ideas?

PS Using 4th Gen TV 64GB as a hub.

iPhone 6, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Sep 30, 2016 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 8:18 PM

I have the SAME issue. I purchases four iHome smart plugs. For about 24 hours I could use Siri to control all four. Now all four show up as "No Response." I can reset all of the plugs but after a short bit I get the "No Response" again. This appears to be a MAJOR bug on the Apple side. I'm using an iPhone 6 and I am running iOS 10.2. I have tried every troubleshooting thing I can find and nothing works.

Has anyone found a real solution yet?

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2017 8:18 PM in response to John Laury

I have the SAME issue. I purchases four iHome smart plugs. For about 24 hours I could use Siri to control all four. Now all four show up as "No Response." I can reset all of the plugs but after a short bit I get the "No Response" again. This appears to be a MAJOR bug on the Apple side. I'm using an iPhone 6 and I am running iOS 10.2. I have tried every troubleshooting thing I can find and nothing works.

Has anyone found a real solution yet?

Jan 9, 2017 5:34 PM in response to John Laury

Just want say that I have the same issues. If I restart my hue bridge it works fine for a little while. Randomly through out the day it works, then it goes back to "No responding". It always works from the Hue native app (locally and remotely). Accesories that doesn't rely on a bridge, like elgato eve energy, thought they have been always very slow (Bluetooth?), are stiresponsive.

Jan 30, 2017 4:45 PM in response to adrian_ep

Hi guys, so for me it turned out it was something with my router (TP-LINK c20i). I changed it for a TP-LINK c60 and works like a charm now. I guess it was something with the router's Ethernet switch as all the WiFi devices worked fine; but still not clear why from the Hue apps always worked fine. So end of the story for me! thanks for the help!

Feb 17, 2017 10:44 AM in response to John Laury

I have this same problem, only it's gotten MUCH worse since iHome updated firmware on my two smartplugs. Now, I can only get Apple Home to see and interact with my smartplugs for a few brief moments before they once again show up as "no response" in Apple Home's app. Meanwhile, the iHome app can see and use these plugs without any problems. The same thing is true for my Honeywell Lyric T5 smart thermostat, but Apple Home only sees that device while I'm home and shows it as unresponsive while I'm away. I do have an Apple TV4 acting as a connected hub, and the Lyric app can use the thermostat at home or while I'm away. The problem IMO lies solely with Apple's Home app.

Mar 9, 2017 4:08 PM in response to John Laury

I have the exact same problem with my Philip Hue lights. It'll connect to the bridge very briefly, and I'll be able to control the lights through Siri or the Home app until about 10-15mins later, all of the devices (my lights and the Philips Hue bridge) will show no response. Of course, I can still control the lights from the Hue app, so I'm pretty sure this is a problem from the Apple side of things. The only way to get them to reconnect through HomeKit again (just for the 10-15mins again) is to restart the bridge and re-pair in the Hue app.

I have read it might be a problem with older routers and problems with MSDN/Bonjour connectivity - but that is not confirmed. Contemplating buying an Airport Extreme to give it a shot, but that's a big investment just to get my lights to work like the way they're supposed to anyways.

Apr 3, 2017 12:39 PM in response to John Laury

For all my Hue lights, I sometimes get the 'No Response' on my iPad whilst my iPhone is connecting normally. To get good coverage throughout my house, I have a wifi extender, which has a different network name. If my iPad is connected to the extender, that's when I get the 'No Response'. If I switch my iPad to the same wifi as the Philips hub, the problem goes away. This answers my problem but not sure it helps others. Suggests to me that the network has a lot to do with it.

May 26, 2017 1:13 PM in response to John Laury

Apple Home is hopelessly broken. Apple's own forum is rife with users complaining their HomeKit equipment cannot be seen as connected devices under Home. I found this to be true as well. The Apple Home app reports my HomeKit iHome smart plugs as unresponsive, yet the official iHome app can control them just fine - even away from the house.

Making matters even more embarrassing for Apple, Google Assistant on iOS (or Android) allows for easy recognition and voice control for these same iHome HomeKit smart plugs - again, even away from the house. Apple makes great hardware, but is seriously lacking in AI, networking, and web interactivity.

Jul 8, 2017 9:46 AM in response to dameronln

POSSIBE SOLUTION!!!! ... I had the same problem. My problem was with DNS filtering with OpenDNS. I changed my router to point at a different DNS and Lyric pops up immediately after the router reboot. I have tried google and my ISPs DNSs with no issues. You could go through the OpenDNS filters to figure out which one is the problem, but I have not spent the time. It is one of the filters between Low and Moderate security.

Hope this helps

Aug 12, 2017 2:36 PM in response to John Laury

I have had similar issues. It's gotta be an IP issue. I have similar issues with my koogeek plugs. I find pulling them out, so killing the power supply to them and plugging them back in ends up making them work again. Which causes the plug to grab a new IP address from the wireless router. But yes, still works with the hub/app. The koogeek plugs don't have a hub and they are unresponsive when they go offline in the home app as well. So that leads me to believe it's how the IPs are given out and how homekit on the device manages that. Not sure if static IPs would even work as you can't assign them for these devices. Hopefully this gets solved with iOS 11 and subsequent firmware updates.

Aug 15, 2017 11:13 AM in response to koroshino

I'm having the same issue with the Koogeek Smart Light Bulbs. Unplugging them and then plugging them back in fixes the "No Response" issue temporarily. Lately only for a few minutes. I have similar problems with my ecobee3 Smart Thermostat. Removing the faceplate of the thermostat for a few moments before putting it back seems to restore connectivity to Homekit. But unlike Koogeek at least the native ecobee app continues to work when the Home app flakes out. So far the most rock-solid Homekit accessory I have has been the August Smart Lock. That one has only lost connectivity once thus far. Suffice it say I'm NOT impressed with the reliability of Homekit at all. 😠

Aug 15, 2017 11:39 AM in response to Ondray Wells Jr.

The reason the ecobee and it's app works and the koogeek do not is because of the hub. The ecobee thermostat acts like a hub. Much like the hue hub works. Any devices that have their own hubs will continue to work. Anything that uses WiFi only or goes through homekit seems to have ip issues and drops off the network. Hence the no response. Restarting the power forces it to grab a new IP address and then it works with homekit. So I still think this issue is IP related and how homekit manages those identifiers. If using MAC addressing this is probably not IP most aching but maybe the IPs are timing out due to the wireless router. Which would explain why people are having inconsistent reporting on this. That's the only point of failure I can see. And apple hasn't built in enough robustness to account for this.

Oct 29, 2017 3:58 PM in response to John Laury

I can confirm this issue is caused by a poor mDNS implementation (or it being disabled). I had this issue since I purchased Philips Hue ("No Reponse" 99% of the time), and recently changed a setting in my router (Ubiquiti Edgerouter X) related to mDNS that has completely solved the issue. Best bet is to get a new router, especially if you have an older one.

Oct 25, 2016 1:50 PM in response to John Laury

FINALLY someone who has kind of similar problems. I've been Google'ing my *** off and this is driving me insane. One thing worse than having a problem is having the problem that everyone else doesn't seem to have.

I'm not using the Apple TV since I have a 3rd gen. For me, the Hue app and my Lyric (for the thermostat) work just fine all the time. I love controlling everything from the control panel though. When I've been away from home and get back after a day's work it just won't connect. The Home app won't even open. After a restart everything works fine again. It's driving me crazy.

Apple Home App (no response)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.