Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My whatsapp restore stuck on Finishing Up... (99%)

My whatsapp restore has been saying Finishing Up... (99%) for hours, I have tried different devices and get the same thing. It's 131 MB, how can I fix this?

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Oct 1, 2016 11:53 AM

52 replies

Oct 8, 2016 8:03 AM in response to aattaboy

Had the same problem. We made many tries with restoring from the iCloud (always stuck at 99%) and from the backup on the Mac.

After many tries we have the problem solved now. 🙂

Both iPhones had the same name.

I renamed both of them (iPhone settings/General/About/Name).

Deleted the WhatsApp App on the new iPhone.

Then made a backup of the old iPhone to a Mac (and to iCloud) with iTunes.

On the new iPhone: backup restored from the Mac with iTunes.

I don't know which step was essential. But with this sequence it worked out fine with our iPhone SE / iOS 10.

Jan 13, 2017 6:45 AM in response to aattaboy

Just sorted the same problem on my phone as well, but cured it. I fixed my problem of Whatsapp being stuck on finishing 99% by deleting the app all together and re downloading and installing the app again, after signing in again I still got the icloud option, on downloading all my messages from the cloud it performed as it should and went straight through the restore including the 99% finishing. All working now, and I expect the cause was an older copy of Whatsapp being stored on icloud, and when I had to do a phone restore because of the apple problem of being stuck on the apple logo loop, which also ended up as being due to an after market screen being fitted, and was sorted by disconnecting the battery and removing the screen, connecting to comp and doing an update/restore from itunes. (using an old cracked but working screen helped). I hope this info might help some of you out there.

Jan 24, 2017 2:42 AM in response to aattaboy

i got the same problem. seriously just wanna give up and start with no chat history.

then i saw paolo81 reply. i say why not try that one. so i do exactly like what he said,

1) close WA (while stuck at 99%)

2) open it again and skip the restore option

3) chat history successfully restored with pictures

but no luck. cannot choose skip after close the app. so i improvise,

1) close WA (while stuck at 99%)

2) turn off icloud drive

3) open it again, and got screen that say your backup might be in icloud,please turn on icloud bla bla bla..

and i just skip the restore option ,,and damnnnn

4) my chat history successfully restored with pictures

thanksss bro!!

Jan 30, 2017 2:44 PM in response to aattaboy

Hi All,

after struggling with this for a day:

1. delete the app from your phone

2. connect the phone to your computer and open iTunes

3. Download and install the app with iTunes

4. run WhatsApp while still connected to your computer and iTunes running.

5. choose restore in WhatsApp and the restore finishes in a couple of seconds...

don't know whats the logic behind this restore from iCloud while connected to the computer... but it works (for me at least...)

hope it will help someone.

My whatsapp restore stuck on Finishing Up... (99%)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.