You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you input the Apple ID verification code on a macbook? (Mine is OS X Lion 10.7.5)

Hi!

I'm trying to set up my apple ID on my macbook - I open System Preferences - mail, contacts, calendars, click - iCloud - prompted to enter the password for my apple ID.

Then, I receive a pop up message that states: "An Apple ID verification code is required. Type your password followed by the verification code shown on your other devices."

The verification code DOES come thru on my iPad. BUT! I do not have anywhere to input the code on the macbook!

Please help me~ Thank you for any help you can offer.

MacBook, iOS 10

Posted on Oct 6, 2016 4:11 PM

133 replies

Sep 3, 2017 10:35 PM in response to rlfromv

Here is a snippet from the support article linked below:

From your Mac:

1. Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > iCloud.
  2. Click Account Details.
  3. If your device is offline, click Get Verification Code. If your device is online, click Password & Security > Get Verification Code.

User uploaded file

Here is the support article: Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Feb 9, 2018 1:56 PM in response to maphead

maphead wrote:

This is a fecal-filled (term chosen to avoid the sensitive eyes of the forum censors) procedure that is beneath the Apple core tenet of simplified interaction with computing devices.

Why - after YEARS of inquiries and posts about this basic issue does Apple not change the method? [rhetoric: yes, I know this a users' forum.]

Well, Apple is not able to change the method when you are talking about a Mac running OSX Lion. The requirement is a part of Two-Factor Authentication, and that is a new process that was not introduced until after El Capitan came out. So, Mac's running older, no longer supported software do not get the Verification box that a Mac running a higher, supported OS would get.

Even Apple's Two-Factor Authentication support article is clear that the minimum recommended system requirement for using Two-Factor is OS X El Capitan or later (although it is not a requirement as long as you have an iOS device running iOS 9 or later):

Who can turn on two-factor authentication?

Two-factor authentication is available to iCloud users with at least one device that's using iOS 9 or OS X El Capitan or later. Here are the minimum recommended system requirements for all devices that you use with your Apple ID:

• iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that uses a passcode, with iOS 9 and later
  • Mac with OS X El Capitan and iTunes 12.3 and later

So, your argument is specious at best. You have to use a workaround if your Mac is not running at least El Capitan. Which means, that, at most, people not running El Capitan or higher, but who have set up Two-Factor Authentication nevertheless, have been having issues for a couple of years, at most. (El Cap was introduced on 9/30/2015).

GB

May 26, 2017 8:29 PM in response to gail from maine

I understand that part and I personally haven't had issues in that respect. However, after being invited to my wife's calendar, it sends a code to my iPad and iPhone, when I allow the location, it actually pops up with the code on both devices... but neither devices show a field to enter ANYTHING... let alone a password!?!? In fact, in order to post this comment, I had to enter the code that popped up, there was a field to add the exact amount of numbers even... I'm not getting anything like that on my calendar invite email. What an unintuitive setup!!!! Why can't we get texts like google??? WAKE UP APPLE!!! Can we resurrect Steve Jobs to keep up quality control??? Gggrrrr!!!

Jun 28, 2017 4:48 AM in response to NELSON2878

Ok just to add a little more to the explanation. I struggled with this for months. I'd go in, type in my password and it would send me the authentication code and say to enter it with the password, but after that point, no new box would open up to do that. Literally, no box anywhere even possible to add it.

FIRST under System Preferences>iCloud, click SIGN OUT. You have to completely sign out in order to do this. This is the dumbest least intuitive situation. Your stuck in an endless loop and have to get out of it. Once your signed out, enter your password (just the password). It will send you a new code and prompt you to reenter the password WITH the code.

Sep 20, 2017 10:06 AM in response to indiependantfilm

OK, let's take this step by step, because I am not asked for any verification code when I sign into Messages.

I open Messages on my Mac

Under Preferences>Accounts>I see this screen:

User uploaded file

I sign in with my Apple ID, and this is what returns:

User uploaded file

Do you have Messages enabled on an iPhone using the same iCloud account? Is it still functioning correctly?

Cheers,

GB

Jul 20, 2017 2:05 PM in response to spooky_marty

So, you are saying that you are opening the FaceTime app on your Mac, and attempting to sign in with your Apple/iCloud ID, and when you type in the passcode for that Apple/iCloud ID, you are getting an error? If so, what is it?

You can also take a look at this support article:

If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support

GB

Sep 18, 2017 8:45 PM in response to Pismo 900

It didn't on mine....I tested it before I posted back.

Here's what Two-Factor says about when a Verification Code is required:

Verification codes

A verification code is a temporary code sent to your trusted device or phone number when you sign in to a new device or browser with your Apple ID. You can also get a verification code from Settings on your trusted device.

I also have noticed that no matter how many times I sign into my Apple ID via Apple - My Apple IDon my Mac via Firefox,I always have to put in a verification code. I also always have to trust my browser. Not sure why, but I'm probably not checking a box somewhere or something.

GB

Nov 7, 2017 9:36 AM in response to NELSON2878

After reading through countless questions like this ( because I had this one too ) I finally went to Apple Support Chat. This was my issue.. I couldn't find a specific answer on how to successfully enter a 6-digit code to gain access into my iCloud on my macbook pro. I was entering my password for iCloud on my Macbook Pro because that was where the issue was. After successfully entering my password on my Macbook Pro my iPhone (trusted device) prompted me with the Allow or not window, I hit allow. Then a 6-digit code popped up on my iPhone. I would try forever to figure out where on my Macbook Pro I should enter this 6-digit code.. BINGO.. you're NOT supposed to enter it ON YOUR MACBOOK PRO.. You take WHATEVER device prompts you the 6-digit code (your trusted device) and enter it on that device. I was entering my password on my Macbook Pro and I needed to be entering it in my iPhone instead! Wow, do I feel silly, but NOWHERE does it say this in all of the forums I've searched. I have a link here: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Best of luck everyone, Hope this helps!

-Mikey

Feb 11, 2018 6:49 PM in response to lyndafromplacervile

If you have Two-Factor Authentication, you would have been required to provide at least one Trusted Phone Number that was capable of receiving an SMS message. So, your Trusted Phone Number could have been any cellular device including an Android:

Trusted phone numbers

A trusted phone number is a number that can be used to receive verification codes by text message or automated phone call. You must verify at least one trusted phone number to enroll in two-factor authentication.

You should also consider verifying other phone numbers you can access, such as a home phone, or a number used by a family member or close friend. You can use these numbers if you temporarily can't access your own devices.

Here is the Support article cited above: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Can you remember what you put in as your Trusted Phone Number?

Cheers,

GB

Jan 31, 2017 1:12 AM in response to gail from maine

Hi Thanks so much for this reply which made perfectly clear what my iPhone didn't The message that comes up on my iPhone gives no indication that this is what I was meant to do and I'm posting in Jan 2017 so this has not been fixed. I'm able to Google for answers but so many people would be totally stumped by this. Pretty pathetic of Apple to be honest.

May 26, 2017 8:52 PM in response to willcorg

Sorry, but I am not understanding what action you are describing in regards to a shared calendar, and I'm not sure how it relates to putting a verification code in on a Mac.

Apple is not here. This is a user to user technical support forum, so we would need to understand the exact set of steps that you are taking that results in this situation.

GB

Jun 3, 2017 8:16 AM in response to NELSON2878

I am trying to sign into my iCloud. It asks for my Apple ID password, I type it in and it immediately sends me a code. A box appears that says "enter verification code" but the only option moving forward is to press OK. Once I press OK, there is no entry space for the verification code. It just simply says "enter this verification code on your Mac". But where do I put it? It's not prompting me to re-enter the password followed by the code as it has done before.

Jun 3, 2017 9:10 AM in response to gail from maine

I am not asking the same question as the others. I understand what you are saying but the problem is that there is no actual slot to enter this password. Once I do it the first time (password only), it asks for the verification code. However, and this is the problematic part, it does not give you any place to enter the password. So I tried just closing and re-opening system preferences-iCloud and entering the code in following the password and it does not work. I've used the 2-step verification part so I am familiar and the step that is missing is the second prompt asking for the password then verification code. Hopefully this was more clear. Thanks for your help.

How do you input the Apple ID verification code on a macbook? (Mine is OS X Lion 10.7.5)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.