Related Article: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot see photos in Iphone folder in Windows Explorer

Why can't I just drag and click photos from Windows Explorer anymore? I used to plug in my phone, see my photos in Windows Explorer (under my iPhone folder), and drag and drop over to my computer/external hard drive. Now the photos do not appear. What changed? This is on multiple PCs running different versions of Windows (7-10). Iphone 6s is updated.

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.0.3, null

Posted on Oct 18, 2016 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2018 11:02 AM

I found the solution from madrivergirl was the one that worked for me. The folder will be in the My Pictures>Camera Roll folder if you're using a PC. Copying any random pic file to that folder suddenly let me start viewing my Camera Roll. Several other solutions I found might be helpful to other people with this issue.

One potential solution that worked for me temporarily is to go on your iPhone in Settings>General>Reset and click Reset Location & Privacy. This will of course cause you to be prompted to confirm permissions in almost all your iOS apps again. But it also seems to solve the problem.

Of course powering off and on your phone and your computer can also help.

Another less likely possibility is that the computer does not have the Apple Mobile Support program installed or it needs resetting. Restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows - Apple Support This utility is automatically installed with iTunes.

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2018 11:02 AM in response to seh0041

I found the solution from madrivergirl was the one that worked for me. The folder will be in the My Pictures>Camera Roll folder if you're using a PC. Copying any random pic file to that folder suddenly let me start viewing my Camera Roll. Several other solutions I found might be helpful to other people with this issue.

One potential solution that worked for me temporarily is to go on your iPhone in Settings>General>Reset and click Reset Location & Privacy. This will of course cause you to be prompted to confirm permissions in almost all your iOS apps again. But it also seems to solve the problem.

Of course powering off and on your phone and your computer can also help.

Another less likely possibility is that the computer does not have the Apple Mobile Support program installed or it needs resetting. Restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows - Apple Support This utility is automatically installed with iTunes.

Oct 14, 2017 9:51 AM in response to seh0041

Just ran into same (and frustrating) problem... Running Win7 64 bit system and got it solved. I hope...

Work around I found is:

Plug in iPhone (mine's a 6), and Windows Auto Play window should pop up. When it does, select Import pictures and videos (NOT open device to view files). Another window will open up showing import progress. After doing this I was able to open Windows Explorer and see my iPhone's internal storage, specifically the DCIM folder where photos are stored. I was just selecting "open device to view files" originally and this did not work. I could see "Owner's iPhone" and "Internal Storage" below it in the explorer tree, but when I clicked on "Internal Storage", nothing would show up in the viewing pane. Selecting the import option when plugging in my iPhone seems to have solved the problem. Hope this helps...

Nov 22, 2017 10:21 AM in response to Cadence 88

Same issue - and my guess is the same, an iOS issue not MS. Before iOS11, I could plug my iPhone 6s into my Win10 PC (in any state) and File Explorer would ALWAYS show the iPhone, the Internal Storage folder, the DCIM sub folder, and one or more other subfolders with the picture contents of the Camera Roll folder on the phone. Now, it only displays the iPhone and Internal Storage folders - nothing else. UNLESS, you attach the phone in an open state - then it works just like it used to. Thanks Apple, but ios "improvements" like this we just don't need. My Mum would have said "...leave well enough alone.."...

Dec 25, 2017 6:42 PM in response to Martinccall

I figured out how to view the pictures. While the phone is plugged in, you have to open it up. There will be a dialogue box saying Trust This Computer/Don't Trust This Computer (it might be device, not computer, but the trust part is the important point). As soon as I tapped trust, the DCIM folder showed up in my iPhone folder in File Explorer. I now remember that Trusting the computer worked before, but didn't remember how to get to the message - simply by logging in to the home screen!!

Jan 30, 2018 2:19 PM in response to charl zero

I’m only reading these forums because my work made me swap my galaxy for an iPhone. If you seriously think that this is a Microsoft problem you should ask yourself why you need to use a music shop app to move files around when every other phone in the world interacts with Windows Explorer like an extra drive. If you’re reading this I’m actually surprised because I’d expect this kind of off message thought to be moderated out.

Mar 9, 2018 1:53 PM in response to seh0041

I just had an employee stop by with the same issue. He said he has been importing photos from his iPhone 6 to Windows 7 for "years" and then it suddenly stopped. I probably spent an hour messing with different things, but I finally found the solution. I uninstalled "Apple mobile device support" from Add/Remove programs, plugged the phone back in, and it reinstalled the "Apple mobile device support" in less than 3 seconds and then it came up on the screen asking what you would like to do with the device (import, open folder, etc.). Hopefully this helps!

May 11, 2018 12:06 PM in response to seh0041

Here's my problem and how I removed it. I plug my phone into my computer and I open a Apple folder or it does not show it ... reinstalling and installing the drivers and still not opening a devices manager and searching for a portable device > Apple > Driver > Update Driver > Browse my computer for driver software> >let me pick from list > MTB USB DEVICE . and nothing happens then I got into the iTunes program and gave me sync photos and videos and all the pictures and video came up and my phone was connected without any problem with the computer 🙂

Oct 23, 2016 12:01 PM in response to ig88 original

We are mostly users like you.

*Feedback*

"Use the form below to send us your comments. We read all feedback carefully, but please note that we cannot respond to the comments you submit."

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Could be a plot by Apple 👿. We Mac user's have never had this simplicity. We have to use Photo app to get our photos off an idevice.

Here are some work-arounds.

There are lots of ways of moving files.

A simple and popular way to copy files and share files among your devices.

https://www.dropbox.com/

"Box lets you store all of your content online, so you can access, manage and share it from anywhere. Integrate Box with Google Apps and Salesforce and access Box on mobile devices" Rated the most secure cloud storage by SkyHigh Networks. You can buy a license to run box one of your servers.

https://www.box.com/

"iMazing is the all purpose iOS management software: expand your control over your mobile data beyond what is normally possible, without jailbreaking your device. With iMazing, you can easily browse and manage your backups, extract and print your text messages, or drag and drop songs to your iPhone. To put it simply, iMazing allows you to go way beyond what iTunes offers"

https://imazing.com/

Files Connect -- "Cloud Storage services like Dropbox, MobileMe iDisk, Google Docs/Picasa, Facebook photos, FTP, SFTP, WebDAV ... AFS (Apple File Shares) SMB (Windows shares) protocols"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/files-connect/id404324302?mt=8

Windows File server

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filebrowser-access-files-on/id364738545?mt=8

"Dukto is a simple application that allows you to share files between devices connected to the same (wireless) LAN network."

http://www.tidal.it/?page_id=309&lang=en

http://www.msec.it/blog/?page_id=11

Nov 6, 2016 5:27 AM in response to seh0041

iphone7 doing the same thing; for the last 100 yrs i plugged my phone (any make/model) into laptop(Win OS) and in windows explorer i'd watch a folder appear. i just drove across america, have 20,000 pics, was to sit down today to process and ...... Can't plug & play with a $750 device?

how do i drag/drop photos off the iphone7 and to my Win7 OS laptop?

Nov 14, 2016 7:39 PM in response to seh0041

I found a solution that worked for me in someone's post on this forum from 2012!

The suggestion was to make sure that on your pc you have at least one photo in the folder titled "Camera Roll". Put any photo that you have on your pc into that folder. Then disconnect and reconnect your iphone to your computer.

Once I did this, I was able to see my iphone in the "File Explorer" and easily copy my photos from my phone to a folder on my computer.

I cannot tell you how long I looked for a solution to this issue! So happy that I can again get photos off of my phone!

Cannot see photos in Iphone folder in Windows Explorer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.