Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Audio Jack Adapter Issues

Since getting my iPhone 7 I've noticed issues when connecting the phone to my car via the 3.5mm-to-lightning adapter. Every so often the phone will refuse to acknowledge that there is an audio source plugged in and the sound will randomly switch from the car speakers to the iPhone's speakers.

For the time being I am having to disconnect the cable (aux cord + 3.5mm-to-lightning adapter) from the phone and reconnect it, and that only solves the problem 8 out of 10 times. In certain instances even that will fail to fix the problem and I will be left with a phone that cannot connect to my car. I have noticed it start to happen more frequently since installing iOS 10.0.2.

I am wondering if this is more an issue of the phone or the adapter not working properly. Please help.

Note: I have tried connecting the aux cord to another source via the headphone jack and can confirm that there is no problem with the cable.

iPhone 7, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Oct 18, 2016 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2017 4:18 PM

I just used my 'adapter' in my iPhone 7 plus today and noticed that... it didn't work at all. Every split second I get static/music/static/music as the songs continue to play. I knew the adapter wouldn't work once I found out that they were giving us something free with our expensive iPhones with no headphone jack. My earbuds are OEM Samsung and I refuse to go out and buy new earbuds from another company just to see if it is an issue with that model of earbuds. My Samsung earbuds work with everything else so there is no reason the adapter shouldn't work with all 3.5mm headphones. Oh well, guess I'll use the Apple earpods and continuously keep putting them back in my ears as they fall out constantly until I can find a pair of good bluetooth earbuds.

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2017 4:18 PM in response to gtamhan3

I just used my 'adapter' in my iPhone 7 plus today and noticed that... it didn't work at all. Every split second I get static/music/static/music as the songs continue to play. I knew the adapter wouldn't work once I found out that they were giving us something free with our expensive iPhones with no headphone jack. My earbuds are OEM Samsung and I refuse to go out and buy new earbuds from another company just to see if it is an issue with that model of earbuds. My Samsung earbuds work with everything else so there is no reason the adapter shouldn't work with all 3.5mm headphones. Oh well, guess I'll use the Apple earpods and continuously keep putting them back in my ears as they fall out constantly until I can find a pair of good bluetooth earbuds.

Jan 15, 2017 9:06 PM in response to gtamhan3

I have been having issues since i had gotten my iPhone 7!!!!!! I can't even you my samsung headphones on my iPhone 7 via adapter. It makes a wierd crackle noise and doesn't corectly play the audio. Sure, i get that something like that will happen, but i had stuck with samsungs headphones when i had stuck with android phone since i started to have my first phone long ago, but the bounderies of me using a enemy company's headphone on a apple device shouldn't be a thing!!! >:(

Mar 13, 2017 11:10 AM in response to aggressivility

I have this problem. I'm using Sony MDR-EX650 earphones, I don't have a problem on any other device so I know it is a problem with the adapter and not the earphones themselves.

Most of the time, when listening using these earphones through the lightening adapater I get constant electrical pulses which distort the music / cause static / stop and start the music or podcast. I can also get very high pitched feedback which is painful and obviously means I have to unplug my earphones. I would say the maximum amount of time I've been able to listen with no distruption is c. 20 minutes.

This has to be a problem with the adapter / electrical system in the iPhone 7 when the adapter is used. I know I could use the earphones provided but they don't fit my ears, the sound isn't as good and, if an adapter is provided, it should work.

Does anyone else have this issue? I've seen a lot of people having a problem with Bose headphones but less so with 'normal' in ear earphones like mine. Any ideas?! I actually bought a new adapter as I thought I had lost my old one (it was in a hole in my pocket in the end, ha) but I got the same problem, so I know it isn't a physical problem with the adapter unless I have been very unlucky.

Apr 23, 2017 12:11 PM in response to gtamhan3

Hi

When using electronic accessories with your iPhone, ensure that they are either genuine Apple products or that they have been certified as Made for iPhone under the MFi program. Certified items come with the "Made for iPhone" logo on them and/or on their packaging.

User uploaded file

Using uncertified or counterfeit accessories may damage your iPhone and/or adversely affect operation. Apple's warranty does not cover damage caused by use with a third party product that does not meet Apple's specifications.

More information:

About iPhone, iPad, and iPod accessories - Apple Support

Identify counterfeit or uncertified Lightning connector accessories - Apple Support

Apr 24, 2017 4:52 AM in response to trinidad2

trinidad2 wrote:

Thank you for your feedback Jonathan but I haven't been able to find a Certified 2-in-1-Lightning-to-3.5mm-Audio-Adapter anywhere. I even looked on the apple website ...

You may wish to consider the Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar.

The adapter enables Lightning Audio for phone conversations and charging your iPhone simultaneously. It is also compatible with the Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter, for use with headphones with a 3.5mm jack plug.

The adapter is available, for example, from the US Apple Online Store:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKKP2ZM/A/belkin-lightning-audio-charge-rockst ar

Mar 3, 2017 11:42 PM in response to gtamhan3

Yes the iPhone 7 is definitely a great product, but the only issue I found was the problem of not being able to charge while listening to music, which thankfully was a quick solution with the Aokin 2 in 1 adapter.

I had no idea a product like this existed so when I found it I quickly jumped on it and found that it works great! I did my research and Aokin looks like the place to go for these things. I've been using mine now for over a month with no problems.

You're able to get one on here: https://myaokin.com/

If you guys have any questions let me know! I'm happy to help where I can 🙂

Mar 31, 2017 8:35 AM in response to gtamhan3

I have the same issue. At first, I thought it was the aux input in my car. This issue only occurs when my iPhone 7 is plugged in and I'm using either one of my two 3.5mm to lightning cables. It doesn't happen when I use my iPod Classic or iPod Touch so I am confident that the problem isn't the aux input receiver in the car. Also, when I use my iPhone 7 in my other car which has Apple Carplay, I don't have any problem. So, I don't believe that the iPhone 7 itself is bad or broken. I think that there is a small microchip within the audio cables themselves or the iPhone is sensing the cable resistance. Either way, the phone can sense that the cables are not within "approved" specs. I updated my iPhone yesterday and for the first time now I am getting a popup message that there is an unusable device connected to the phone when I use either of my two audio cables.

Apr 1, 2017 10:55 PM in response to gtamhan3

I'm facing the same problem with my iPhone 7 plus adaptor, however I noticed that the adaptor becomes hot whenever the adaptor stops working, and I also noticed that this issue only happens when I connect the phone to my car's aux while it doesn't happen when connecting the phone to my headphones, I guess that the car's speaker require some more current or power from the adaptor in order to work and the adaptor gets overloaded and disconnects... this is the only guess I have so far.

Apr 8, 2017 4:48 PM in response to gtamhan3

With the adapter, I have the same static/music/static/music thing happening. Beyond annoying. I called Apple, they wanted me to take the iPhone 7 in to the Apple Store after some of their no-brainer trouble-shooting didn't work.

With their tech on the phone I used various combinations involving three different auxiliary cords, two different iPhone 7s, two different adapters, and two different vehicles - and each time - it yielded the same static issues.

So now with a dumbfounded tech he's goes into the whole "well I'm developing a case number for you and thank you for helping Apple learn to improve their products". In reality, I helped them make more money as they try to strong arm basic cords THAT WORK from the market.

Apr 10, 2017 7:40 AM in response to cgty17

I get that even with my OEM cord and power brick! Apple really needs to fix their own hardware and software. I'm using OEM products and yet I still get those errors.

About the headphones. This is weird. I used Samsung earbuds because I like the sound and they are comfortable. Not like the horrible earpods that keep falling out of my ears. But alas, I can't use those earbuds because of the static. But get this, I bought a cheap no name pair of headphones for my ps4 controller and they work with the Apple adapter! What?!

Samsung legit earbuds no, but cheap imitation no name headphones yes. Talk about strange.

Apr 11, 2017 4:41 PM in response to gtamhan3

I just downloaded the software update this morning for my iPhone 7- and right afterwards experienced the same issue. The device (my non apple lightning audio converter) was flagged as "this device is not supported." I am convinced it was in the software update that I just installed. I wish apple would rectify this as I can no longer listen to music/content through my car speakers. Very frustrating.

iPhone 7 Audio Jack Adapter Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.