Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone keeps asking me to sign into itunes store

I just updated to ios 10 and have seen multiple pop-ups asking me to sign into the itunes store.

I don't know why I keep seeing this prompt. I don't use itunes on my phone. I don't allow any purchases from my phone. In fact, I believe I deleted the itunes app.

Can someone help me make it go away for good?

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.0.2

Posted on Oct 29, 2016 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2017 6:13 PM

I'm having this problem with the itunes app on iphone. I'm getting a popup saying "Sign In to iTunes Store", using an old email address (ie., an old Apple Id). When I enter the new/current email address/apple user id, nothing happens (no error message), then the prompt comes back after a while.

I checked my Apple Id online and it's definitely the new one.

I don't think I can uninstall the itunes app on the iphone, right?

In Settings -> Itunes & App Store, it definitely has my new Apple Id.

Could it be an old Apple Id being cached somewhere like a keychain?

I switched to fingerprint use for itune and killed the existing running itunes app. Still broken.

This looks like a software bug to me.

Ben

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2017 6:13 PM in response to secret agent girl

I'm having this problem with the itunes app on iphone. I'm getting a popup saying "Sign In to iTunes Store", using an old email address (ie., an old Apple Id). When I enter the new/current email address/apple user id, nothing happens (no error message), then the prompt comes back after a while.

I checked my Apple Id online and it's definitely the new one.

I don't think I can uninstall the itunes app on the iphone, right?

In Settings -> Itunes & App Store, it definitely has my new Apple Id.

Could it be an old Apple Id being cached somewhere like a keychain?

I switched to fingerprint use for itune and killed the existing running itunes app. Still broken.

This looks like a software bug to me.

Ben

Jul 1, 2017 12:45 PM in response to benjamingslade

So, once again, for emphasis.

This is not a community for the Festivus ritual of "airing of grievances"

The ONLY place your feedback may have an effect is below.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

None of the volunteers (i.e.: non Apple employees) here can act on comments like yours and a great number of the volunteers here don't care about them.

Jun 22, 2017 7:58 AM in response to secret agent girl

In my case, the "sign in to itunes store" popup was using an old email address that was my old/previous Apple Id.

After talking to very helpful Apple Support via chat, it turns out it was an old app, installed back when I was using my old Apple Id. The old app was trying to connect to the itunes store as part of some sort of in-app purchase. And the old app wasn't smart enough to notice that I had a new Apple Id in settings.

My solution was to delete and reinstall old apps (typically losing their data).

Note that the apps I deleted to fix the problem did *not* have background refresh allowed. But they were somehow running in the background trying to connect to the itunes store.

Also, it's really maddening that the "sign in to itunes store" popup doesn't say which app is requesting the access. The lack of basic info turns trivial problems like this into showstoppers.

Jun 29, 2017 7:33 AM in response to benjamingslade

I've tried this and it's not working for me ...I've been apple now since the 3 came out but having this pop up randomly every 15 seconds 10 or more times and then nothing for a couple of hours got very old very quickly.

I love apple and am not a great fan of android.... waiting for the 10th anniversary phone to come out before uograding from my 6s plus but if I can't fix this by the time it does come out I don't think I'll be able to hand over all that cash for a phone that keeps bugging out on me (3 times while writing this)

Jul 1, 2017 6:04 AM in response to benjamingslade

I am having exactly the same problem. I bought a new Ipad and restored from my old ipad backup in itunes.

Every 10 seconds I now get a message to log into Itunes store with my old email address. I checked settings and Itunes is set up correctly (with my new email) and I can go into Itunes store app on the new ipad and buy things no problem, so working fine w my new email.

Reading these comments, it sounds like the problem is that I have some old apps that I bought in Itunes using my old email address and they keep trying to connect/update and this triggers the message.

But this is a lousy problem for me as I have hundreds of apps and no idea which are causing the problem. Can't believe Apple hasn't sorted this. Any other ideas/ways to fix??????

Thanks!

Jul 11, 2017 8:53 AM in response to LACAllen

I had the same problem. When restoring a backup from on old phone to a new one, it kept asking for the original iTunes account credentials, even though the phone was logged in with a new account. Most apps loaded and I was even able to add a new one with the new credentials, but five apps would not reload, the icons were faded and under them said Waiting. I could see which apps where stuck so I wrote them down and entered the password for the Apple ID used when the apps were installed two phones ago. The apps have now loaded. I suspect the only way around that is to delete the apps and reinstall using the new Apple ID. We will just have to log into the accounts associated with those apps again.

Sep 16, 2017 10:31 AM in response to veepee24

This was happening after restoring a backup to a new replacement device that came via insurance an insurance claim. I went through and visually found apps that were darkened and the text where their app titles would be said "Waiting" and then I deleted them. One I couldn't download again as it was no longer available and one I reinstalled and so far it has corrected the problem. And I had TWO email addresses it was asking for passwords for and making it doubly ridiculous and irritating. Really absurd they can't provide a list of apps under settings and which iTunes/Apple ID under which they were purchased so that this doesn't have to be a tedious irritating problem to fix.

Nov 3, 2017 12:02 PM in response to secret agent girl

I'm having the same problem. Reason is that my phone fell in the lake and I used an older phone of my son's until the insurance could send me my new phone. Now the replacement keeps asking me to sign to my son's itunes account even though my phone has my account on it. I don't know his password and wouldn't know what to do even if I did. If I could get his password, can I make the pop up stop? How? Can anyone help? Thanks, Bob.

iphone keeps asking me to sign into itunes store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.