Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Horizontal Line on startup / boot

Hi,

My mac is a MacBook Pro 15" late 2011,

Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

macOS - Sierra - 10.12.1 (16B2555)

Just recently when I boot up my mac the grey screen appears with the progress bar, when the progress bar gets to about half full a pixelated horizontal bar appears.

User uploaded file

Then the screen flashes black for about a second, then the grey screen reappears without the horizontal line and boots normally and works fine.

User uploaded file

Just some extra notes, I normally use a second monitor with my mac unless im at class and it works fine.

Also just recently sometimes it takes longer to shutdown, used to take 3-5 seconds can take ~45 seconds sometimes but not all times.

The last thing I noticed is that I always turn keyboard lights off and when I used to boot up it remembered that and kept them off. Now it seems to forget that and they always come on when I boot up.

Ive tried resetting SMC and PRAM with no success.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 2, 2016 3:41 PM

30 replies

Jan 29, 2017 10:41 AM in response to av4625

I just posted a similar problem. Have you tried forcing the laptop into running the Discrete Video all the time. If you go into the System Preferences, under Energy saver, uncheck the box for "Automatic graphics switching." This will cause your machine to use the more energy expensive Discrete Video Card and not allow the machine to switch to the Integrated Video Card.

If that helps, the problem may not be with your graphics cards, it may be with the hardware that does the switching, or the drivers that control them.

Jan 24, 2017 9:42 AM in response to av4625

I have the same issue with my MacBook Pro 17", Late 2011. I took my machine in for repair on December 30th because of the faulty GPU recall. They replaced the logic board, however, they said the machine moved to legacy status while it was in for repair and as a result, they would not warranty the work performed. My machine currently reboots when performing any task that is graphic intense. Upon reboot, the machine will enter a reboot loop, restarting before the OS starts to load. It will continue to do this until it is cool. After it has cooled, it will work fine for a while and then the same issue will occur. According to the temperature monitor, the temperature never rises above ~70 C. It doesn't feel excessively hot, so I don't feel it is a temperature issue. The same pixelated horizontal bar appears during boot. I have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday, but I feel the machine was not fixed properly and they should cover the cost.

Jan 25, 2017 5:13 AM in response to no_not_now

Just had the same experience with an early 2011 15" MBP running Sierra after replacing the hard drive with a Samsung Evo SSD and replacing the RAM with 16 GB Crucial memory. I reset the PRAM and SMC with no effect.

Other than producing that pixilated bar during boot, the Mac doesn't have any issues. In fact, it runs great with the upgrades. Any further word on what's causing this?

Jan 31, 2017 12:55 AM in response to no_not_now

Same problem for me...

- Multi-coloured horizontal lines at boot followed by rapidly failing GPU

- Apple agreed to replace the MB again (this was the second time)

- I think they put in a new GPU (It's now a AMD Radeon HD 6770M)

- Multi-coloured lines persisted during boot until I reinstalled Sierra by redownloading from the App Store

- Lines disappeared, all working nicely

Feb 16, 2017 6:18 AM in response to av4625

I already had logicboard officially replaced by apple last year, I was so confidence that GPU problem would never bother me again...on mavericks and yosemite, yes my MBP 15" early 2011 was so powerful, powered by 8GB RAM and SSD.. after upgraded to sierra this horizontal line appear, exactly same issue like this...to me its mean that new logicboard, higher RAM, and SSD just waste of money... we forced to buy a newest macbook.

Nov 29, 2016 5:05 PM in response to av4625

Hi there,

I have this same exact issue on my early 2011 MacBook Pro. What's weird is it started right after I reset the SMC and PRAM for an unrelated issue that I was trying to solve. After this happened I reset them again but it has continued. I already had my logic board replaced once and I believe it was done under this program. Will they do it a second time?

User uploaded file

Horizontal Line on startup / boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.