Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Touch ID not working!!

I just got my MacBook Pro yesterday ( with Touch ID). I have already set up everything and it is working fine. Today morning, when I open macbook, in login page, it doesn't ask me to use Touch ID already. Setting is okay but it doesn't ask in my login screen. I just delete all finger data and shut down. It is not okay. It just doesn't ask when I login to computer. How shall I do?

User uploaded file

Posted on Nov 17, 2016 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2017 12:18 AM

I had this problem too.

When I first got my Mac, touch id worked fine. Then it all of a sudden stopped working. The touch bar simply did not ask me for a Touch Id, and I had to enter my password each time.

I managed to fix the problem in the following way:

• In System Preferences, Touch ID, I unchecked the "Use Touch ID for:" "Unlocking your Mac".
  • Then I logged out.
  • Then I logged in.
  • Then I checked the "Use Touch ID for:" "Unlocking your Mac" again.

Then it worked again.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2017 12:18 AM in response to Khant Thu Linn

I had this problem too.

When I first got my Mac, touch id worked fine. Then it all of a sudden stopped working. The touch bar simply did not ask me for a Touch Id, and I had to enter my password each time.

I managed to fix the problem in the following way:

• In System Preferences, Touch ID, I unchecked the "Use Touch ID for:" "Unlocking your Mac".
  • Then I logged out.
  • Then I logged in.
  • Then I checked the "Use Touch ID for:" "Unlocking your Mac" again.

Then it worked again.

Apr 10, 2017 12:55 PM in response to Khant Thu Linn

I just got off the phone with Apple support and there may be a solution to some Touch ID issues...

After a shutdown or restart, you will have to enter a password, that is just a security issue with Apple I'm guessing.

The issue I was having was that I could not swap between different user accounts on my computer...the Touch ID and password option were not showing up so I would have to completely log out of one account in order to log in to another. This may help for some issues:

- Shut down your computer.

- Hit "Shift", "Control", "Option" and the power button all at the same time and hold it for 15-20 seconds. Nothing should happen, well, nothing that you will see anyway. (The key combination resets something with the Touch ID)

- Power on your computer normally and login as you usually would...now the Touch ID should work.

If it still doesn't work, try calling Apple, they were pretty quick and helpful when I contacted them.

Feb 1, 2018 6:49 AM in response to Khant Thu Linn

User uploaded file

Guys help! Besides the fact that I've been unable to add any fingerprint after an upgrade to High Sierra it strated to glitch just like in the pic.

I tried everything, shutting down, restarting, clicking "try again" button, reseted SMC a couple of times... Reinstalled Sierra then upgraded it to High Sierra.

I'm kinda done dealing with a $1750 laptop on my own.

Can apple finally do something about it and address this problem properly?

Mar 25, 2017 8:07 AM in response to Khant Thu Linn

I found the only way Touch ID works to unlock your machine is when you have fast user switching turned on under user and groups options. that feature is turned off by default. once you have that turned on you can click your name on upper right and click log in screen, this will bring you to the log in prompt screen without actually logging out of the computer. from there you can unlock your machine using the Touch ID.. other than that it seems to be unable to do it when you reboot or when you log out and try to log back in using touch id it simply doesn't prompt you on the touch bar.

May 9, 2017 2:51 AM in response to Khant Thu Linn

I bought my Mac 4 months ago, and 2 days ago I did some updates, and after the updates the Touch ID was not asked in the log in anymore. As normal thought I deleted the fingerprint, put a new one, but nothing!

Now I went to the system preferences and in the Touch ID area I unticked all the boxes, restart the pc, went again and ticked all the boxes this time, and restarted once more. After this it's working perfectly 🙂

Hope this works for you guys!

May 28, 2017 7:38 AM in response to danreed121

This is so strange, the same thing just happened to me, only I had been using my Mac for 1 week and actually used the log in password several times, but all of a sudden it was not the correct one anymore. It must be some apple error when the same thing happened to other users.

Thankfully I could sign in through my Apple ID and then create a new log inn password.

The annoying thing with keychain started and now Im working on fixing / getting Touch ID to work again. Thinking back on the Key chain thing, that they dont follow changes in the log in password when not changed through system preferences, I believed unchecking the box "unlocking you mac" in Touch ID settings - then restart the computer and then check the box again would work, but no... Im not allowed to do any changes in the touch ID settings, unchecking any boxes gives me the same message The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.Biometrics error 1.)

Jun 12, 2017 10:49 PM in response to Khant Thu Linn

Since Apple doesn't seem to help anyone, I will. Apple service has become really terrible lately.

To answer your question, it's most likely a keychain access issue.

1) What I would recommend you to do is delete your current fingerprints and redo them. Reboot and it should work.

2) If the problem persist you could try deleting all your keychains password both local items and logins. Before you do this make sure you remember all your password because this will delete ALL your previously saved password somehow that seems to solve the problem.

Jun 24, 2017 12:48 AM in response to Khant Thu Linn

YOU NEED TO GO TO "SECURITY & PRIVACY"

I had the same problem too, and I fixed it by:

-Going into System preferences

-Then Security and Privacy

-Then ALLOWING the option for "Require password ______ after sleep or screen saver begins". Click on the tick on the left to allow it, and then select the duration before a password is required after the screen saver begins.

Then quit system preferences, lock your MacBook Pro and Touch ID should be working 👌-1F3FD;👌-1F3FD;👌-1F3FD;

Jun 25, 2017 4:06 AM in response to Khant Thu Linn

Same exact issue as DanReed. However I believe mine stopped working during one of the apple updates. It hasn't worked in at least a month, so I'm also just logging in manually. I've read some articles that give some really complex steps to resolve it, which seems to defeat the purpose of having a mac. Right now, I'm hoping it gets resolved in an upcoming macOS patch. Otherwise we have this really nice, unusable feature. Please advise is anyone has heard back from Apple on this issue since these posts.

Jul 15, 2017 5:22 PM in response to danreed121

I experienced the exact same issue. I woke my computer from sleep by lifting the lid, and rather than prompting me for a Touch ID authentication, as it should have, it required my password, which was obviously very unusual. It did not accept my password, which I'm 99% sure was correct, so I went through the password reset process. Following that, the Touch ID prompt just disappeared entirely even after deleting the finger and adding it back, restarting, messing with preferences, etc. The only thing that worked for me was unchecking the "Use Touch ID for: Unlocking your Mac" option, logging out, logging back in, checking the unlock your Mac option, logging out again, and then logging back in. Following this procedure, the Touch ID worked again as normal. I also think this bug may be related to the activity monitor app as somebody else suggested since I was using that app when the problem first arose. I'll now use "htop" exclusively! This appears to be a pretty significant bug since it is essentially responsible for locking people out of their own computers, so hopefully a fix will come out soon.

MacBook Pro Touch ID not working!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.