Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Control Strip (Touch Bar) randomly disappears

This is going to be rather frustrating to people who are reading it because I have a tremendous lack of reasoning or proof for when/how this problem occurs but it seems to be that after roughly 15-20 minutes of use, the control strip will go completely black except for the siri icon located in the far right corner next to the touchID sensor. I would try switching applications to get it to reappear but nothing got it to show up until I went into system preferences>keyboard>customize control strip. Anyone else been seeing this issue?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2016 8:57 AM

53 replies

Sep 18, 2017 1:45 PM in response to Matt_Sanford

Same symptoms here.

Macbook Pro 13"

Official Apple HMDI/USB/Power to USB-C dongle

Secondary display

Now while I cannot say if the issue is specifically related to having the monitor plugged in, I did have an issue where I would lose the second monitor when I plugged in the power cable as well. The solution was to unplug the entire dongle, and while that is a totally separate issue, it makes me further suspect something with those drivers.

Unfortunately for me, tapping the "fn" key does not seem to resolve this and I have to restart my Mac. It's pretty frustrating seeing how I use the touchbar quite often, and contrary to some, I like the feature. Until this happens and I can't turn the sound down on a music app/etc.

Jan 12, 2017 9:43 PM in response to Alexander Ljungberg

seems that way...although I have only just bought the LG ultra wide display, used it last night with and unplugged the MBP from it this morning, to find the missing touch bar. Mine came back on after a restart. Will have a go again tonight to see if its a persistent issue. The small issue I had was that it had trouble detecting the display, but eventually did.

Jan 13, 2017 3:12 AM in response to ElBrenzo

The "tap the fn" key fix doesn't seem to solve a disappeared escape key. This is probably because there's no change to the display for the escape key (while the others are refreshed).

I'm also encountering the issue with a connected external display, but didn't verify it yet without a display.

It seems the keys disappear after a bit of inactivity (when the keyboard backlight would also be dimmed), but are not reinstated.

I also noticed that the keys work even while they're not displayed (although they're hard to find). So it's just a display error.

Jan 17, 2017 2:42 PM in response to Matt_Sanford

I have a Macbook Pro 2016 touch bar 15 inch.

The following things happen to me at different times:

- entire touch bar disappears; or

- all buttons appear, except the escape key; or

- only 1 1/2 buttons appear at times (the 1 1/2 buttons on the far right);

Ways to reproduce:

- Having an external hdmi monitor plugged in, then disconnecting, then putting macbook to sleep, then walking it up --> escape key missing.

- I haven't found a pattern to reproduce either:

- all the keys missing

- 1 1/2 keys missing

Hacks for showing buttons when one or more are missing:

- Shows all icons every time (but it takes a while to do): going to Settings --> Keyboard --> Customise Control Strip

- pressing on the button where it should be (but doesn't appear) makes just that button appear

- pressing function key: shows all the keys again EXCEPT they escape key.

So quickest fix is:

1. press function key

2. press where the escape key should be

However these are all hacks. There is obviously a problem here that Apple needs to look into.

Jan 26, 2017 8:31 AM in response to Matt_Sanford

The fn key to show the 'F' buttons is a good solution. I have had this happen also, no external monitors connected. Laptop monitor turned off/sleep and so did the touchbar. When I woke it, the bar didn't come back up. I went into settings and made a change in there to have them come back up. I also noticed if I touch a spot on the bar where there should be a button, that button shows again. It's almost like it needs to refresh once you rewake the laptop.

Jan 27, 2017 8:27 AM in response to Matt_Sanford

I have also found that this happens when I connect the MacBook Pro to an external display. However once disconnected the problem still persists until I reboot the machine. What's more is that the buttons, although not visible, are still completely responsive. Sometimes only half of the control strip will disappear or even just random individual toggles! I have to reboot my laptop at least once a day, which is serious considering I would only have to reboot my 2015 MacBook (The Super thin one), once every few months! Pressing the fn key will sometimes solve the problem but other times it won't.

Jan 30, 2017 2:36 PM in response to Matt_Sanford

My 2016 15" MBP started doing this as well. If I tap it, that one button will return.

I use Mission Control and 2x HDMI monitors and the laptop display.

I recently changed the Touch Bar shows to Expanded Control Strip (Sys Prefs>Keyboard). Turning this back to App Controls with Control Strip resolved it, but I don't like that setting personally.

Pressing the fn key resolves the issue until it reoccurs.

Feb 12, 2017 7:04 PM in response to Matt_Sanford

Same issue here. I didn't realize i might be because I hook up to external monitors but that makes sense now since I do. However, the problem persists even when I'm not connected to external monitors and seems to occur randomly. It's pretty frustrating to have to click the function key to refresh the touch bar's missing elements. I have the base model 2016 13 inch w/ touch bar.

Control Strip (Touch Bar) randomly disappears

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.