Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics Issue: 2016 MacBook Pro 13" w/ Touch Bar

Unit: Late 2016 MacBook Pro 13" w/ Touch Bar (Processor: 2.9GHz Intel Core i5; Memory: 8GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3; Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB; macOS Sierra Version 10.12.1)

Problem: Display flashing/Graphics Issue

Description: In full screen mode of Microsoft Powerpoint, the screen flashes periodically. It does not appear to affect the functioning of the application. Looks very similar to some of the issues I've been seeing videos of with the 2016 MacBook Pro 15". I have not noticed the issue with any other applications as of yet, but I have only had my computer for 7 days and I do not use many of the photo/editing applications. If PowerPoint can cause the GPU to have difficulty, I suspect that any serious media editing applications will also trigger this issue.

I have included a couple of screenshots from a video I took of the issue, which shows the display during one of the very quick flashes of the screen.

I have confirmed this graphics issue on two separate computers, both of them 2016 MacBook Pro 13" w/ Touch Bar. It seems that the existing discussion blogs only highlight graphics issues with the 15", which is why I felt I should highlight this issue specifically in the context of the 13" model.

Hope this gets solved in the future--buy AppleCare and stay tuned for Apple's response to this ongoing problem.User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1), 2016 MacBook Pro 13" w/ Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 2, 2016 9:58 AM

25 replies

Jan 27, 2017 11:38 AM in response to barbersh12

I have the same problem, but mines like multicolored spazzy thing happening on the screen after the computer is in sleep. Also there's flickering when I'm watching videos. I'm taking it to the apple store tomorrow because this is the second laptop in last two months this has happened to ( the first one I returned and they gave me the new macbook pro 2015 w/ no touch bar). IT'S SO FRUSTRATING because you're paying so much money and stuff like this happens. I guess first world problems.

Mar 30, 2017 8:04 AM in response to dat805

In my case I took my MBP to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store. We updated the OS there together an it resolved the problem. It's now been about a day and the problem is still gone. Confidence is building the problem is resolved, the conclusion is the problem was either software of firmware as the update to 10.12.4 was clearly a major one as it took about 30 minutes to install.

Dec 2, 2016 10:18 AM in response to barbersh12

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If needed find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. This may just be a problem with your computer. Return it then replace it and check if the problem occurs in the replacement.

This is a user forum, so we cannot help you with this issue nor will posting it here be of much help since Apple does not read these forums. Best to return and replace it. You have 14 days from date of purchase to replace it or get your money back no questions asked.

Dec 3, 2016 3:18 PM in response to barbersh12

I had a very similar problem with my new 13" MBP (without the TouchBar).. here is the thread along with a screenshot of what mine looked like: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7771647

I brought it to the Apple store and they acknowledged the graphics issue and let me exchange the system.. I decided to exchange it for a new 15" MBP "Silver" (the 2015 model) since I prefer the "regular" keyboard on that model anyway (I never got used to the "butterfly" keyboard). Anyway just wanted to share that Apple let me exchange my system due to the graphics issue. Also have a look at this article with other users reporting similar issues with the new MBP's: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/02/new-macbook-pro-graphics-issues/

Hope this helps.

Graphics Issue: 2016 MacBook Pro 13" w/ Touch Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.