Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Touch Bar - Consolidated Crash Discussion

Hi - trying to create a consolidated view of the various discussions of crashing with the new MBP with Touch Bar. There are a few overlapping discussions, and/but I thought it would be good to have a central place for people to refer to, and to share what they have been trying. I always find it is hard to track down useful info, but this seems widespread enough that combining forces should be worthwhile. I am also trying to put up as much useful info as I can - feel free to request additional info/logs if helpful and I'll post what I can.

Please link to other related threads in replies if helpful.

My situation:

• I have the 15" MBP with Touch Bar (maxed out, except for only 1 TB SSD). Generally pretty happy with it, except:
  • Shortly after setting it up, I started experiencing intermittent crashes with reboots. This were highly varied in time and seeming cause. A few flavors:
    • Happened overnight while plugged into my Thunderbolt dock/monitor/keyboard/Drobo/etc. setup
    • Happened while sleeping (e.g., I'd wake from sleep to find myself rebooting), both on and off the charger.
    • Happened while sitting around not plugged into anything but the charger.
  • For these crashes, MOST of the time, I would get to "Your computer crashed" popup after reboot, though not always.
  • For my initial setup I used the migration assistant to move over. I have been using the migration assistant for a long time. Almost certainly too long. Over a decade. This is probably relevant. Was migrating from a 10,1 Retina MBP (I think 2013?).
  • I push my mac fairly hard with utlities and apps. This is also probably relevant. Even with my new from-scratch rebuild, I already have a dozen or so utlities/menu bar apps running that I use regularly.

Current status (as of 12/3/2016):

• After talking with Apple support and going through all the usual suspects (let's do an SMC reset! let's do whatever "resetting the PRAM" is called now!), my rep wanted to backup/wipe the computer and try running clean for a day to determine if it was a software issue or hardware problem. I was perhaps cranky at this point and he transferred me over to a sales rep. Saee important note below.
  • After getting mostly over my crankiness (sorry, Anthony), I did as requested on my own, backup and reformat to scratch. I have been slowly re

As an aside - as much of a pain as this has been, it's probably good for me. I've already saved ~200 GB of space on stuff I probably didn't really use/need any more. YMMV.

• All that being said: I thought I was doing pretty well, as I had gone 24 hours without a crash. However - in the last 12 I have had two.
    • Both have been the same: laptop running, plugged into power and nothing else. The screen locks up, and then I get the dark gray "Your Machine Has Restarted" in lots of languages screen. I did NOT get the popup Crash Reporter after rebooting either time however (which is worrisome).
    • I have been slowly adding apps to my standard set. I'll try taking some out and see what happens.

Important note:

In talking with the Sales Rep, she claimed that we are currently in the Holiday Return Policy period - under which we have more time to return machines than the usual 14 day period. I am taking her at her word (I asked them to add that to my file) and continuing to try to test my MBP for a little while before I give up, in the hopes that I really can return it later if it continues to die repeatedly. Again, YMMV, and I haven't tested it yet, but you may want to ask about this if you have reached the point of giving up but are past your 14 days.

Apps/Utilities I have reinstalled of significance:

Listing a few apps that I have reinstalled, that seem plausible to be related as they do weird things, in the hopes that it really is software (all latest version except where noted):

• TextExpander 5.1.4 - this is the pre-subscription version, and currently my primary suspect a) because it is an older version and b) because I had another issue with an app crashing that I narrowed down to this (under a different user). Currently off.
  • Hyperdock. Currently on but will not boot on restart (to rule out next crash).
  • Others running regularly, in no particular order: Keyboard Maestro; Bartender 2; Dropbox; Google Drive; Evernote, Divvy, 1Password, Hazel, Screen Sharing Menulet, iStat Menus, Slack, Mailplane 3

Other Threads I have been watching:

Brand New MacBook Pro 15" crashes and restarts randomly

Feel free to comment/add more. Hopefully we can narrow down crashes across the line.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 3, 2016 8:45 AM

33 replies

Dec 31, 2016 4:38 PM in response to fredfrommccormick

That is really helpful to know - thanks Fred!

More data on my crashes - I think it continues to be software related. I realized that I was getting a crash response from Divvy (http://mizage.com/divvy/) each time, and I noted that they had a comment on their website about crashes with Touch Bars. I turned it off for now, and I haven't had a crash since. Fingers crossed then that these remain software related. Will report back.

Jan 2, 2017 2:07 AM in response to fredfrommccormick

I too have the problem of issues after waking from sleep. From time to time every single open program crashes on restart (or during sleep?).

I too have touch bar default display disappearing apparently randomly.

I also have other odd broken items, like a cursor with a vertical line overlaid.

Often open programs themselves, like VPN Tunnelblick, are silently broken after sleep.

I quickly realised that sleep simply cannot be used safely. My 'solution' is to force shutdown (long press of touchid button). Restart is quick and I can open all windows again.

Jan 6, 2017 5:07 AM in response to Glen Grayson

I have found that the cursor usually reappears after 5-10 seconds. When I don't see it, I quickly move my fingers back and forth across the trackpad and that sometimes helps. I also have a theory that perhaps the start of a backup (if Time Machine is set to "automatic" can cause a temporary lapse when MBP is initiating the backup drive. It could also be one of many other processes in the background. Also, I 'm seeing the problem less and less as time goes on.

Jan 8, 2017 4:50 AM in response to fredfrommccormick

As I stated a few days ago, I was having this same problem, and when I called AppleCare, they encouraged me to bring my MBP TB in for a replacement. But it seemed that it was a software rather than a hardware issue, based on what I am reading here.

So I spoke to my IT consultant. She told me to run Font Book first, to check my fonts by launching, selecting "All Fonts" and File Menu>Validate Fonts. Where is says "All" in top of window, change to "Warnings and Errors". See if anything shows.

I found several minor issues, and a few serious issues. I removed all of the corrupted fonts.

Next, she told me to download and run Etrecheck on it, and see if it finds anything not working. If so, I was to remove whatever it finds. She told me to make sure I only have the most current software running on it. Anything that is third party and not current, may be causing this. Could even be a font.

Etrecheck created a full report, and in my case, noted the presence of troublesome Safari Extensions. My IT consultant had me remove those extensions from the System Library>Safari>Extensions. In my case, the only thing remaining now in the Safari>Extensions folder is the Extensions.plist file.

Library is a hidden file, so you need to show the hidden files first to be able to get there.

Since I did these changes on 01/6/17, I have not had a single issue with freeeze-ups.

Feb 22, 2017 8:04 PM in response to Glen Grayson

Fast forward a few days later, and the freeze-ups returned. In another freeze-up thread, someone posted a work-around that solved my issues.

Assuming you are using a Touch Bar mac, the next time you get a freeze-up, press the left arrow key in your Touch Bar. Then press the LaunchPad key in your Touch Bar. That brings me right back to a functioning condition.

Feb 23, 2017 12:09 PM in response to Glen Grayson

Glen Grayson wrote:

By functioning condition, I mean that it gets immediately unfrozen, fully functioning, without forcing a restart. You just go back to whatever you were doing- nothing lost.

Thanks, I'll try that. It's odd that (at least on this end), what I see after the lid-down crash is just the start up to type in my password. I do so and the Mac starts up. I'll try your suggestion. I've just been leaving the MacBook display up for the time being because I'm so frustrated with it crashing with the lid down and only when the lid is down.

Feb 23, 2017 12:40 PM in response to andrewrodney

My crashing has always been while I am doing something. All of the windows on my screen shrink slightly, lie when you go into Time Capsule) and then get normal size again and it freezes up. I can still move my cursor, but I cannot click on anything or type anything. I can Command-OIption-Escape to get to the Force Quit window, but again, I cannot click on anything there.

My only way out is to force restart, or do the aforementioned workaround. It happened again this morning, but I must admit, they are getting farther and farther apart.

A month ago, I was freezing up several times a day.

Mar 30, 2017 4:56 PM in response to Dgroo

This is my second unit with the same issue. My computer crashes from time to time on sleep/wake and when connected to a display. It went completely bonkers the other day after being plugged in to a new 32" curved LG monitor.

My previous unit had the same issues, but would also freeze the same way as @skysteve1 described and the battery life was HORRENDOUS. My new unit was an upgraded replacement from Apple (1TB HD, 2.9GHz processor, 16GB RAM, dGPU).

This seems like it might be related to the dGPU hardware or switching between the GPU's. This new unit is significantly better, but am still not happy I'm having these issues. I've lost a lot of time and work from these crashes.

May 2, 2017 3:33 PM in response to Dgroo

Guys, I've got a new MacBook Pro 15. Radeon 455, SSD 512 GB. I was very frustrated because as soon as I started using the system, random freezes began to occur. Everything, everything stopped responding, and the computer automatically shut down. Upon restart, all windows were reopened, but there was no error message. Unfortunately I can not go back to the Apple Store because I bought the equipment in Atlanta, but now I'm in Brazil. Well, after touching many configurations, I decided to install Sierra 10.12.5 Beta. The freezes kept happening. For a moment I realized that this had something to do with the "Automatic graphics switching" option. I deactivated this, rebooted the system, and so far everything is working fine, no freezes. Have you tried to disable this option?

Dec 1, 2017 11:44 AM in response to Dgroo

This is my experience too with my 2017 15". I use my computer all day at work, unplug from monitor and power and put it in my backpack. The next morning when I pull it out and open the lid, about two thirds of the time I find it off, with a random battery charge level between 0 and 80%. This was true on High Sierra which I used for 2 months, and has continued on Sierra since I downgraded.

This is beyond frustrating.

Dec 3, 2016 9:33 PM in response to Dgroo

Dgroo wrote:

In talking with the Sales Rep, she claimed that we are currently in the Holiday Return Policy period - under which we have more time to return machines than the usual 14 day period. I am taking her at her word (I asked them to add that to my file) and continuing to try to test my MBP for a little while before I give up, in the hopes that I really can return it later if it continues to die repeatedly. ...

See the following from http://www.apple.com/shop/help/returns_refund

Holiday Return Policy

Items purchased at the Apple Online Store that are received between November 10, 2016 and December 25, 2016, may be returned through January 8, 2017. Please note that all other terms and conditions provided in the Apple Online Store Sales and Refunds Policy are still applicable with respect to such items purchased. All purchases made after December 25, 2016 are subject to the Standard Return Policy.

Dec 4, 2016 10:29 AM in response to Dgroo

Thanks @foxfifth - that is very helpful. Will probably continue to wrestle with it for at least another week or two then before pulling the ripcord.

Latest update on my issues: crashing is now back. It seems to be tied to sleep/wake from sleep at this point. The last several times I've tried to wake from sleep, it's either been crashed or I've had to force reboot it. I'm going to leave it running for a few hours and see what happens. I'm also disabling a couple more utilities to see how that goes.

Macbook Pro Touch Bar - Consolidated Crash Discussion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.