Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 2016 stuck in an update loop

Hello!

As the title says, I received my 2016 macbook pro 15' last week and everything was fine until today when my macbook shut down on its own and attempted to install an update. However, prior to completing the update, I get the following error message:

"A critical software update is required for your Mac, but an error was encountered when installing this update. Your Mac can't be used until this update is installed."

I am given the option to either try again or shut down which leads to the same situation and my laptop is now stuck in this loop. I was hoping someone would be able to assist me with this. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 8, 2016 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2017 6:02 PM

In trying to set up and log into my new Macbook Pro 15" with TouchBar, I got only as far as entering my network information when I received the error message:

A critical software update is required for your Mac, but an error was encountered while installing this update. Your mac can't be used until this update is installed.

On the advice of others posting here, I did a re-install of the OS from Command-R. This did not help me. I tried several times.

Then (also from within Command-R) I erased and re-formatted the hard drive, re-installed the OS, and for the first time was able to get as far as inputting my time zone and setting up a user account.

The first thing I did once I finally gained access to my new computer was to visit the App Store and download updates. One of the App Store system updates needed a re-start.

When the computer re-started, it made it to the log-in screen. However, after I entered my password, the screen froze, with a spinning beach ball. I was not able to login again to the account.

I did a hard re-start. When the system started again, I was prompted for my WIFI network, and then received the same error message:

A critical software update is required for your Mac, but an error was encountered while installing this update. Your mac can't be used until this update is installed.

Help??!

52 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2017 6:02 PM in response to prpshrt

In trying to set up and log into my new Macbook Pro 15" with TouchBar, I got only as far as entering my network information when I received the error message:

On the advice of others posting here, I did a re-install of the OS from Command-R. This did not help me. I tried several times.

Then (also from within Command-R) I erased and re-formatted the hard drive, re-installed the OS, and for the first time was able to get as far as inputting my time zone and setting up a user account.

The first thing I did once I finally gained access to my new computer was to visit the App Store and download updates. One of the App Store system updates needed a re-start.

When the computer re-started, it made it to the log-in screen. However, after I entered my password, the screen froze, with a spinning beach ball. I was not able to login again to the account.

I did a hard re-start. When the system started again, I was prompted for my WIFI network, and then received the same error message:

Help??!

Apr 5, 2017 1:36 AM in response to prpshrt

Had this exact problem.

Was finally solved by booting in safe mode (with shift) and creating a new network location that did not use our corporate proxy server.

After this i rebooted normally, selected my iPhone as wifi network. This time it was able to complete install the critical software update. So it seems that it for some reason cant connect through a proxy when it does the final setup of the update.

Jun 22, 2017 9:32 AM in response to prpshrt

I SOLVED it with a SMC reset ( MacBook Pro 15" 2016 with touchbar)

1- TURN OFF MAC, REMOVE USB-C POWER SUPPLY CABLE AND ANY PERIPHERAL

2- WAIT 10 SECONDS

3- PRESS SHIFT + CONTROL + OPTION + POWER FOR 10 SECONDS

4- WAIT 5 SECONDS

5- CONNECT USB-C POWER SUPPLY

6- POWER ON.

A small apple logo should appear in the center of the screen and a dashed progress bar at the bottom of the screen: Don't worry the machine is booting normally.

Enter your password and you are ready to go!

Reboot to ensure everything works correctly on next boot.

In addition to the Update loop, "fortunately" my batteries also got totally drained and macbook did not charge anymore.

If my batteries were not got drained I would have reinstalled the OS, but that is not the right solution apparently.

Apple Care helped me to but there is not clear procedure for update loop, luckily my batteries drained triggered the idea to me and the apple agent to give it a try with the SMC Reset.

Finally it seems there is no such Critical Update pending, is just an error produced by some SMC / MacOS combined disruption.

Feb 16, 2017 6:09 AM in response to wolfpack98

In my case, the advice that the problem is due to malware, is probably not accurate. I purchased my macbook pro with touchbar directly from the apple education store online. After encountering the endless loop, I took advice from this thread and reinstalled the software, erased the disk and reinstalled the software, and changed networks. Nothing helped.

I received the error out-of-the box. I had done nothing more to this new computer than to turn it on.

I contacted Apple via online chat and they walked me through the usual procedures (the ones I'd already undertaken, in addition to demonstrating the ability to start in 'safe mode' but not otherwise). They instructed me to take it to a certified Apple repair shop.

The shop tested the hardware, tried reinstalling the software, and they even installed and attempted to use a new hard drive. They could not get around this error loop.

They returned my macbook to Apple. It is being replaced by a new machine.

If you're encountering the same difficulties, and you've taken steps to reinstall the original OS from scratch and failed to resolve the issue I suggest you take your macbook to a certified Apple repair shop. Upon dropping it off to them, they may suggest that it is only a software/network problem that can be rectified with a new network/installation and that you will be charged for the software issue. My experiences, however, would suggest that this error runs deeper and it is very unlikely that a 'software fix' that they attempt in shop will get around the issue. If my own problem is any indication, they will discover that it can't be addressed in shop and requires replacement.

I know this is frustrating and disappointing. But I found my local apple repair shop to be very helpful. Don't waste too much time trying to fix it on your own if the CMD-R reinstall procedures fail - determination might not get you far.

Apr 7, 2017 4:58 AM in response to Jay Bagley

Same issue here, I tried tons of things. Always same result -> Boot loop for critical update installation. This is related to EFI and embedded OS for TouchID. I am in contact with Apple Support. They know about issue as my case was escalated and well...now waiting up to Monday to continue resolving.

I tried:

1) New install macOS, create user, run Migration assistant, migrate

2) Delete all partitions with gparted, Internet restore, then follow point 1

3) Do same thing on another same new Mac

4) Try on different internet connection (well download was not an issue)

5) Try with no USB C devices attached

I can see errors about embedded OS upgrade and so on, but I have no clue anymore what else to try on my own.

We tried to migrate some other mac to this machine and everything worked. So it must be related to something specific in existing mac installation. I am on 10.12.4 (old and new).

I can boot into Safe Mode (hold shift down when booting).

Apr 8, 2017 11:29 AM in response to prpshrt

I had the issue too. I tried to upgrade the os on safe mode from 10.12.3 to current 10.1.2.4 thinking it would resolve the problem but it did not. I called Apple and did a install over the internet replaceing the OS but that did not work. I tried booting from an external clean 10.12.2 Sierra download but came up with the problem while setting up a new account so I went to the Apple Store and the tech proved it was software related by booting off the network from their 10.12.4. The tech tried to remove some apps that were a potential issue while in safe mode but that did not help. He suggested that maybe the https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-disable-system-integrity-protection-on-mac/ system integrity protection was a issue but we skipped all that and blew off all data with disk utility erase and reinstalled the OS 10.12.4 and all went fine after I re migrated the user data and applications from time machine back on again. In conclusion it was not a hardware failure but maybe a situation that was prone to older versions of Sierra. The new touch bar and or touch ID may be the issue because the senior advisor at Apple was given a terminal command from engineering to try to do something with the USB. Here is the command line we typed in while in safe mode

nvram boot-arg="AppleUSBHostPort@14200000-debug=0x15A" (press the return and next line type)
reboot (press the return key again)
unfortunately this did not help either but it does point to the usb ibridge found in system report under ibridge

https://arstechnica.com/video/2016/11/the-2016-13-and-15-inch-touch-bar-macbook- pros-reviewed/

Apr 10, 2017 1:20 AM in response to macphen

Hello!

I also tried that. Blasted whole partition table away, reinstalled Sierra from Internet Recovery, but it did not help either.

I also came to the step with the console command, this is not there to help, it's a command to enable extra debugging. Waiting on Apple Support to come back with more things today....

Another colleague migrated his system without an issue to same device I also tried, so this must be related to something specific in our existing installations....

Apr 11, 2017 7:18 AM in response to prpshrt

Same thing happened to me. Stepped away from my 2016 15 inch MBP to return to it rebooting on it's own. Got stuck in a loop saying there is a critical update needed and I can't use my Mac until its installed. Prompts me to select a network, which upon doing so, I get another error and the only options are to retry or reboot. Wash, rinse, repeat. Did Internet Recovery, debugged with AppleCare support, and a complete reformat to no avail (multiple times). Took it to Genius Bar, who shipped it off to Cali. Waiting to learn the results. Smh.

Apr 13, 2017 12:23 PM in response to prpshrt

GUYS!!!! I SOLVED IT!!!! I could not wait on Apple, since two weeks already passed and I just had to try....So I debugged, went through a lot of log files, checked EFI partitions....and FINALLY....

After restoring from TimeMachine I checked my /System/Library/Extensions and funny there were a lot of files (use "ls -l") with dates like 2008, 2012 (USB Serial drivers, 3G Modem drivers...) and funny even some really old stuff from Apple:

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Jan 12 2009 AppleUSBHub.kext

I first deleted:

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Oct 15 2008 NovatelWireless3G.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Oct 15 2008 NovatelWirelessFilter.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Aug 29 2013 ProlificUsbSerial.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Mar 9 2009 RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Jul 11 2007 RBIOKitHelper.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Jun 7 2012 UPSVendori386.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Oct 15 2008 HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Aug 30 2013 Fantom.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Dec 23 2008 FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Mar 24 2010 EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Jan 15 2006 BJUSBMP.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Jan 12 2009 AppleUSBHub.kext

Rebooted....same issue....Then I spoted more and deleted those too:

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Aug 30 2012 2.2.0 (Contained Belcarra.USBLAN_netpart.kext...)

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 root wheel 102 Aug 30 2012 3.1.1 (Contained Belcarra.USBLAN_netpart.kext...)

drwxr-xr-x+ 3 root wheel 102 Jan 12 2009 IOUSBCompositeDriver.kext

I think that was all, anyhow no old files were anymore in this directory. Rebooted....BAM...critical update applied and after more than 2 weeks I can finally use my new MacBook Pro!

Something of that messed up the EmbeddedOSInstaller service that repairs things related with TouchID....

Hope that helps!

Apr 18, 2017 2:08 PM in response to prpshrt

I found the answer to this. It was typical Mac voodoo after trying all the things that should have worked. My experience was (and this is the second time this has happened, for reasons I can't explain). root took possession of 50 odd folders in Users/xxx/Library, causing all my software to go crazy (I no longer had access). I tried various terminal things to fix it. No dice. So get out the clone!!! I got out my Macbook Pro 2012 (also running Sierra), running Carbon Copy Cloner, and cloned the full hard disk, with the recovery partition. The backup disk was connected to the 2012 via USB 3. The Macbook Pro 2016 was connected in target disk mode (via Thunderbolt to USB C). Clone complete. Booted up the 2016, and I'm ready to go, right? Wrong. "Essential software". Ugh. Why? How it it not be on the clone OR the recovery partition? EVERYTHING was cloned! Gave it my wireless, it spins all night, never stops. I tried reinstalling Sierra from wireless, "Essential software" loop. Spins forever. Then I tried erasing the disk, installing Sierra via wireless. "Essential software" loop. Forever Finally I tried voodoo. Booted the Macbook Pro 2016 in target disk mode. Connected via USB C to Thunderbolt adapter to Macbook 2012 thunderbolt port. Downloaded full Sierra installer to 2012. Installed Sierra from the 2012 onto 2016 via target disk mode thunderbolt to USB C adapter. Boot 2016 machine. Pray. Hey!!!!!!! Uh oh, "essential software". Asks for wireless. Downloads software in 40 seconds, installs in 2 minutes, and we are good to go. I then migrate data from the clone. I am back in business. Hope this helps. I honestly don't know if this actually works or if you just keep installing or downloading "essential software" it eventually works (like spinning a roulette wheel). But it worked for me.

Jun 6, 2017 12:59 PM in response to prpshrt

Hi,

I have the exact same reboot loop issue / same error message with my late 2016 15" MacBook Pro. I took it to a Genius Bar and they initially told me that they would keep it overnight and reinstall the OS and this would resolve the issue. The following day they called me to say that it's actually a hardware issue and they have to replace the logic board. It's been a week now and I still don't have my laptop back from Apple.

Regards,

stephen

Macbook 2016 stuck in an update loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.