Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal will not send if location is added to event

I've noticed in the last 2 weeks or so that people haven't responded (accept, decline or maybe) to my ical invites. I just realized they haven't been getting them. I tried some trouble shooting and found that all of the invites I sent with no location specified sent correctly, but if an event had the location/address added it did not go at all. It's on my calendar, but it shows no one has responded and in fact no one received the invites.

Help! I use this feature all the time and the location is a key component.

Thanks

PS I've created these invites from my iMac, iPad and iPhone.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 10, 2016 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2017 8:07 AM

In addition to the location, my invites are not received if I put anything in the Notes field. By removing the notes and resending it to the Invitee it is received. In addition, if I add notes or location after the invite is accepted, the updates are NOT received and only show up in my own calendar entry.

97 replies

Jan 5, 2017 1:42 PM in response to K-Dee

yes latest 10.2 here - three brand new 7plus phones just recently purchased. No addresses, notes, or even a long event title kills the invite. This HAS to be their calendar spam solution messing up functionality. Clearly just not maps, and it doesnt make sense why a long event title has any bearing on not being able to get the invite into icloud. It is truly a "gremlins" scenario, and i believe it is because that is exactly what they are chasing. But it seems so extreme to kill a product in order to keep out spammers - reeks of amateur software engineers. This must be the brain drain everyone talks about at Apple.

Jan 8, 2017 4:17 AM in response to n2tek2

TThe problem is still occurring for me, and has now for several weeks. Very annoying. What makes it insidious is you don't realize meeting recipients didn't receive the invite.

I wasn't expecting a lot of progress on this during the last week of the year, but you'd think Apple would throw it's A list people at this issue. If they want people to use Apple software for their business lives, they have to do a better job.

Jan 9, 2017 9:35 PM in response to karismithx

This has been happening to me since late November/Early December.

I was manually adding some December/January Calendar events (adding suggested Apple Maps locations) and the inviting a couple family members. After about three invites to events, the invitations stopped going through. One other did go through but it had "TBD" as the location.

Fast foreward: Tonight I removed the suggested Apple Maps locations and left only location names and the invites began to flow! I was able to reproduce it as described above and below in every instance.

1. Both macOS Sierra & iOS 10.2 Calendar apps are affected in my case.

2. It only has happened to me with using suggested Apple Maps locations.

3. I have had no problems with Emojis nor adding notes, only with suggested Apple Maps locations.

I was able to create an event then invite without a location on macOS. After accepting I could modify it on an iOS device and add a suggested Apple Maps location. The the invite would then update to the suggested Apple Maps location for the invitee.

I wonder if my initial action of sending multiple event invites in a short time triggered some anti-spam block in iCloud servers? This began around the same day Apple announced it was going to start actively blocking spam invites. My hope is that I have not been put of some spam list.

I submitted a bug report to the Calendar Engineering Team. It was quick and simple.

Jan 19, 2017 7:03 PM in response to karismithx

Count me in as well. This has been driving me crazy. I have tried everything to get it work and it still has been sporadic even with no location in the event. When someone does finally get an invite from me, it is coming from an old @me.com address I don't think I ever used. So they aren't even sure it's me when the invite without location was sent.

Jan 20, 2017 2:53 AM in response to karismithx

I noticed yesterday for the first time that an email gets generated (with a calendar invite attachment) and sent to the recipient. If the recipient opens the invite attachment, he/she can accept the invite and it posts to his/her calendar. This is different than it used to work, and may just be a workaround that Apple has developed, but it is working

May 16, 2017 1:31 PM in response to karismithx

So its now May and I still haven't seen a solution to this yet!

I have had similar but different issues and mine started mid December as well. I am in tears because I am on my 3rd senior advisor and they eventually fall off the face of the earth and stop contacting/responding to me! I have been in contact with them since the beginning of January😢😢😢

I have 3 iCloud accounts (his/hers/work) His and hers are both working perfectly fine... sending/receiving!!! The work one however is the problem.

I originally was not able to send or receive, but now I can only receive... However, my problem lies with me not being able to send to my clients!

I purchased the iPhone 7 when it first came out and did not have this problem until December, so I knew it was not the new phone. But since, I have gotten a new MacBook pro and Desktop (both in January) thinking that may solve the problem but it did not.

I have created new email addresses (att, gmail and iCloud) and ALL of them will only receive not send! For my clients, I never put anything in location, so that's where my problem differs a little from most of the posts I am seeing here. I have also done this from iCal app (on phone, mac, macbook pro) and done it from iCloud.com (on all three as well) Still no difference.

It still doesn't make any sense that 2 of my email/iCloud accounts are working fine but only one is not.

If anyone has found a solution, has advice or remembers how to get ahold of the person they spoke with that was able to help, I would greatly appreciate it! I'm so frustrated that I cannot get anyone to follow up with me!!!

Dec 10, 2016 7:17 AM in response to karismithx

Open system preferences > date & time check the box set date & time automatically ( your continent must be correct ) .

In time zone check the box set time zone automatically using current location , on the bottom side your city location must be correct , whenever you select time zone a red arrow comes down plus a small blue circle is always shown .

If the settings are incorrect in language & region > click on advanced > click on restore defaults .

Make sure in security & privacy > click on privacy > make sure the box enable location services is checked , calendar app , Siri & dictation ( if using Mac OS Sierra ) are also checked .

Then open calendar app , create a new event ( right click on the date ) a new event is created , double click on the event . Click on add location and fill the desired place , and add invites and finally send .

Dec 11, 2016 7:56 PM in response to tygb

I tried all of these tips and nothings worked. It's strange, I think this all started after I got my new iPhone 7 Plus. I just tried to turn off iCloud on all of my devices and that didn't work either. I can create an ical event and see it pop up on all of my devices like usual. I can create a ical event with no location and it will send to my invitees, but the second I try to put a location in, it stops sending.

Any other tricks I should try?

Dec 11, 2016 9:17 PM in response to karismithx

Open calendar its preferences in general make sure the setting is default calendar app : is calendar app , in accounts - account information - check the box enable this account , in alerts it should not be none set the timings by clicking on drop down arrows .

Also , make sure in contacts your name , mail id & the person mail id &name ( you are about to send the event to the invite ) must be configured .

An article can be followed : Calendar (El Capitan): Add locations and travel info

User uploaded file

iCal will not send if location is added to event

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.