You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete the Wallet App from my iphone?

My iphone, with the new update, suddenly had a new app installed entitled "Wallet." This app has my credit card information, plus other personal details, which I never authorized for Apple to use. I have attempted to delete the app using the "touch" system to no avail. There is no way, and I have tried several icloud maneuvers, to delete the credit card or personal information contained in this app.

What's frightening, if I lose my phone, misplace it, or loan it to someone, my credit card information is there for the world to see. I tried to contact Apple, but after literally waiting two hours on the phone, the customer service rep had no answers and then abruptly disconnected me. Do any of you out there know what I can do? This is a horrific invasion of my privacy. Thank you.

iPad 2

Posted on Jan 8, 2017 6:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2017 12:19 PM

I think you are all missing the point. I didn't ask for this app, I didn't

authorize the use of my credit card. I don't care if I have security on my

iPad. I don't care if it's only three, four. or six digits. I don't want

the Wallet App! I don't want any of my numbers of any of my credit cards

on my iPad. That is my right as an individual who believes in democracy

and abhors fascism.

Listen, I am 66 years old and do not want my life controlled by any person,

corporation, government, or board. I want to make decisions for myself

after six and a half decades of living. This Wallet App being forced upon

me is an absolute invasion of my life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

That's a quote from a document most of you should have studied in 7th grade.

On 9 January 2017 at 09:13, Apple Support Communities Updates <

83 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2017 12:19 PM in response to Michael Black

I think you are all missing the point. I didn't ask for this app, I didn't

authorize the use of my credit card. I don't care if I have security on my

iPad. I don't care if it's only three, four. or six digits. I don't want

the Wallet App! I don't want any of my numbers of any of my credit cards

on my iPad. That is my right as an individual who believes in democracy

and abhors fascism.

Listen, I am 66 years old and do not want my life controlled by any person,

corporation, government, or board. I want to make decisions for myself

after six and a half decades of living. This Wallet App being forced upon

me is an absolute invasion of my life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

That's a quote from a document most of you should have studied in 7th grade.

On 9 January 2017 at 09:13, Apple Support Communities Updates <

Jan 9, 2017 8:28 AM in response to prostate

Wallet is not a new App. It has been part of the iPhone and un-deletable since its inception. It used to be known as Passbook since its introduction with iOS 6 and was renamed to Wallet in iOS 9.

Credit cards in there are not magically added. If you added them to Passbook before updating they would have been kept there when it became Wallet. There's several steps that need to happen before a credit card can be added.

The entire premise of Wallet is that no, your Credit card is not there for the world to see. In fact Wallet does no keep your credit card at all.

It keeps the last four numbers and an image provided by your bank or credit card issuer to identify the card and help you manage it.

Wallet creates an encrypted package that does not contain your credit card number or VCC only a transaction identifier.

What this means is your Credit Card is neither on your iPhone, nor transmitted to any one.

Wallet is used in conjunction with Apple Pay you may want to read about it:

Apple Pay security and privacy overview - Apple Support

To remove a Card from Wallet all you need to do is go to Settings->Wallet & Apple Pay and tap on the "Remove Card" button for the card you wish to remove.

Manage the cards that you use with Apple Pay - Apple Support

Nov 7, 2017 12:07 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Though the answer was actually helpful I can put it away in a folder , u miss the point only mentioned age cause I gues I followed someone else Whom was 66 I’m happy for your friends over 80 your lead In was rather obnoxious u will folder it &pray That It’s never stolen

A choice means yes or no & N I didn’t put it in my wallet & no I don’t want it there m other things that wasn’t supposed to happen With this iPhone , &it’s not my first one I know mistakes happen Nothin the wallet chance 4 an error

User uploaded file

Jan 9, 2017 7:54 AM in response to prostate

prostate wrote:

My iphone, with the new update, suddenly had a new app installed entitled "Wallet." This app has my credit card information, plus other personal details, which I never authorized for Apple to use.

This app is not new at all and Apple does not have access to the info or use it.

It did not populate itself. You have to put the info in.

It only had the last 4 digits of your CC and requires your fingerprint to use.

See this -> http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

Jan 12, 2017 12:57 PM in response to prostate

Follow the instructions here to remove your card from your Apple ID account by selecting None as your payment method:

Change or remove your Apple ID payment information - Apple Support

If the option to select None is not available to you, the following support article explains why that is the case:

Why can’t I select None when I edit my Apple ID payment information? - Apple Support

Nov 1, 2017 2:49 AM in response to BoilermakerPete

BoilermakerPete wrote:

So Apple decides what Apps I must keep and which ones I can delete. I don’t want the Wallet App, Apple. Please explain why you have decided I cannot delete the App. And, I thank you.

You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

If you would prefer to discuss the matter with Apple, then contact options include:

Jan 9, 2017 8:14 AM in response to prostate

The information in the wallet app is not "there for the world to see". It is not broadcast, transmitted or shared with anyone nor any company or service other than the bank or institution that issued your card. In fact, the whole point of Apple Pay via the Wallet App is that your credit card information is kept entirely private. Not even the vendor you're doing business with actually sees or knows your credit card number. It is an anonymous electronic payment method designed specifically to enhance the security of your credit information.

See Apple Pay security and privacy overview - Apple Support in particular this passage:

Once your card is approved, your bank or your bank’s authorized service provider creates a device-specific Device Account Number, encrypts it, and sends it along with other data (such as the key used to generate dynamic security codes unique to each transaction) to Apple. Apple can’t decrypt it, but will add it to the Secure Element within your device. The Secure Element is an industry-standard, certified chip designed to store your payment information safely. The Device Account Number in the Secure Element is unique to your device and to each credit or debit card added. It’s isolated from iOS and watchOS, never stored on Apple Pay servers, and never backed up to iCloud. Because this number is unique and different from usual credit or debit card numbers, your bank can prevent its use on a magnetic stripe card, over the phone, or on websites.

Apple doesn’t store or have access to the credit, debit, or prepaid card numbers you added to Apple Pay. Apple Pay only stores a portion of your actual card numbers and a portion of your Device Account Numbers, along with a card description, to help you manage your cards.

Of course, if you do not use a screen lock passcode on your device, or are in the habit of letting others use it, then anything and everything on it is there for those with access to the phone to see.

Jan 11, 2017 1:21 PM in response to prostate

prostate wrote:

This Wallet App being forced upon me is an absolute invasion of my life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

Except the App was not forced upon you. When you purchase any device from any manufacturer you agree to certain terms and conditions from the manufacturer. Furthermore, you also agree to certain terms and conditions of the manufacturer when you of your own free will and volition choose to update the software on your device. These terms and conditions include the part where you agree to receive the device and software as is presented by the manufacturer, with all its Applications and data. This includes agreeing to have Apple add the Wallet App to your device.

Whether you did this knowingly or unknowingly is not the point. The point is you fully agreed to get the Wallet App. by both buying and using the iPhone, and installing the update that changed Passbook into Wallet. Apple forced nothing upon you.

Furthermore, as has been already stated, the card did not magically get added to the Wallet app, you or someone lese had to manually add it. Again whether you did this unknowingly or thinking you were doing something else is not the point.

The card was added. You can remove the card if you want to, follow the steps in this support document: Manage the cards that you use with Apple Pay - Apple Support

You cannot delete the Wallet app no matter how much you whine and complain about it, it is there to stay, and you agreed to have it.

You do not need to use the Wallet App at all if you don't want to. Stick it in a folder and forget about it.

If this is unacceptable to you, you can stop using the device and its software all together. And find a device that fits your needs better. Make sure you read their terms and conditions beforehand. You'll be surprised to all you agree to without knowing about it.

Jan 12, 2017 1:39 PM in response to prostate

Wallet offers a convenient way to add a compatible payment card that is already registered for your Apple ID account to Apple Pay ("If you're asked to add the card that you use with iTunes, just enter its security code"):

Set up Apple Pay on your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or Mac - Apple Support

If you would prefer that Apple did not offer this option, you may wish to submit feedback:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Jan 12, 2017 7:27 PM in response to prostate

prostate wrote:

3. There is no way to delete the credit card from the Wallet App.

Open the Wallet app.

Tap your credit card at top.

Tap the little i in the circle at lower right.

Scroll to bottom and tap Remove Card

Note that even if you select to use the credit card from iTunes, you are required to enter the 3 digit security code on the back of the CC.

Here’s how CC gets added...

-> Set up Apple Pay on your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or Mac - Apple Support

Nov 6, 2017 2:58 PM in response to krazykatz53

What does being 64 have to do with anything? I know several people over 60, that are perfectly capable of using the Wallet App. It works quite well in the self checkout line at my local grocery store.

As has been said many times in this thread, the Wallet App cannot be removed.

You can choose not to use it, and not add a card or remove one if one is added, and then place the app in a folder and forget about it.

If you wish to give Apple Feedback about the Wallet App you can do so here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Apr 16, 2018 7:01 PM in response to John-Zoidberg

John-Zoidberg wrote:

You also could remove the card stored and put in one that will be expiring very soon, then just never update it.

That's not likely to work, since most banks and card issuers automatically update an expired card to the new one.

Manage the cards that you use with Apple Pay - Apple Support

While you can't change your card number or expiration date, it should update automatically when you get a new card. If your issuer doesn't support updates, you might need to remove the card, then add it again.

How do I delete the Wallet App from my iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.