Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Metal shavings stuck to Airpods case

User uploaded fileThis is a constant problem, I will clean the shavings off best I can however because of the lip/ design of the lid and case you can never get rid of them all. Could I use a stronger magnet to remove the shavings and if I do will that effect any of the permanent magnets, effect antenna, W1 Chip...

within the device?

Q-tips and cloths are current choice... however this again doesn't work the best.

Posted on Jan 13, 2017 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2018 6:38 AM

The absolute best way to clean this off perfectly is scotch tape. Place the tape over the case magnet areas that have the metal shavings stuck on them and using a mechanical pencil with the lead retracted so you are using the plastic tip to push the scotch tape directly on to the areas with the metal shavings stuck on them. Let it sit on there for 30 seconds or so and then slowly remove the scotch tape. Viola! This works because the strength of the tape is stronger than the magnet.

50 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2018 6:38 AM in response to Chris.K121

The absolute best way to clean this off perfectly is scotch tape. Place the tape over the case magnet areas that have the metal shavings stuck on them and using a mechanical pencil with the lead retracted so you are using the plastic tip to push the scotch tape directly on to the areas with the metal shavings stuck on them. Let it sit on there for 30 seconds or so and then slowly remove the scotch tape. Viola! This works because the strength of the tape is stronger than the magnet.

Nov 16, 2018 9:35 AM in response to Bassplayer107t

I also work with metal (welding, grinding etc) and I have a lot of shavings on my case, because the shavings get in my pocket from what im working with. This is definitely not an issue with the case or the airpods. But most people don't realize that metallic dust is everywhere, all over buildings and furniture and table tops and your clothes, just like other dirt and dust, and its sometimes incredibly small. Its obviously more common in metal shops. Apple should just make the case black. I don't see any other solution to this issue because A) the magnets are too useful on this product to remove, and B) you aren't going to get rid of the metal dust in the world, or somehow make it not attracted to the magnet... and C) i dont think there is any negative impact on the headphones or your health. It just looks dirty...

Jan 27, 2018 9:35 AM in response to Chris.K121

Metal filings are a part of the day to day dust we are all subjected to in our daily lives. I work on a railway so metal dust and filings are a part of my life. You may receive some filings from the hinge but my guess is that it is only a small amount, most comes from our environment. Even if you haven't been effected yet, you probably will eventually over time. Some people may live where there are higher levels such as near factories or railways. More than likely you pick it up from the pens, keys or pocket change you may carry. Don't carry pocket change? Other people do and if it is in the same pocket they carry their dollar bills guess what, it will make it to your pocket. It may not even come from your pocket but simply off your fingers as it is picked up from your daily routine.

The only real fix is for Apple, as well as all headphone manufacturers to remove the magnets from their products.

Jan 14, 2017 3:58 AM in response to kaitslays

I am maintenance employee, I am required to wear company uniforms. The uniforms are washed and laundered by Cintas. I am almost positive that I am picking up the shavings just having the AirPods in my pocket. It's not the type of work I'm doing or that I might have them close to something I'm working on.

A bag would work however would become cumbersome as I am taking the AirPods out of my ears & sticking them back in the case or just taking the AirPods out so I can talk to others several times a day.

Jan 14, 2017 8:25 AM in response to Chris.K121

Chris.K121 wrote:

A bag would work however would become cumbersome as I am taking the AirPods out of my ears & sticking them back in the case or just taking the AirPods out so I can talk to others several times a day.

It might well be cumbersome. But, consider if you're willing to pay to replace them if the metal shavings cause them to fail. At the very least, before putting on your pants, turn the pockets inside out, give them a good shake and then run one of those sticky lint rollers over the fabric.

If I didn't have as much experience with Cintas as I do, I'd suggest you complain. Metal shavings probably aren't great for your skin, either.

Best of luck.

Apr 17, 2017 8:44 PM in response to Chris.K121

This has been a constant problem for me. Im an engineering student at penn state and have to work with metal recently. I thought it was just me but my roommate got a pair and is having the same issue. Mine is definitely way worse than his. I would bet that apple will include some type of sealing device on the second gen AirPods, maybe similar to the o-ring around the MacBook screens. Its very annoying and I have to clean the case regularly with a q tip

Metal shavings stuck to Airpods case

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.