Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2016 MacBook Pro 13.3 with touch bar screen has lines across the top

2016 MacBook Pro 13.3 with touchbar. the screen has horizontal lines across the top. I contacted apple yesterday and suggested I power off hold the shift option and command key on the left and the power key for ten seconds then restart. did not help the longer the computer is on the less visible the lines. I also am not able to bluetooth my iPhone 6. my computer is 3 weeks old

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.2, 2016 13.3 with touch bar

Posted on Jan 19, 2017 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2017 5:33 AM

I'm having the same issue (image attached). It just started 3 days ago. For now it is intermittent, and seems to mostly occur when the computer has been asleep for a good amount of time, and then clears itself after a few minutes of operation. But from everyone else's comments here, it sounds like this is only going to get worse. I think I'll have to wait until it is more persistent until I make my visit to the Apple Store, but it seems clear I will have to head there pretty soon. Makes me sad.

User uploaded file

57 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2017 5:33 AM in response to bruce625

I'm having the same issue (image attached). It just started 3 days ago. For now it is intermittent, and seems to mostly occur when the computer has been asleep for a good amount of time, and then clears itself after a few minutes of operation. But from everyone else's comments here, it sounds like this is only going to get worse. I think I'll have to wait until it is more persistent until I make my visit to the Apple Store, but it seems clear I will have to head there pretty soon. Makes me sad.

User uploaded file

Mar 10, 2017 6:44 AM in response to lisa1011

Quick question for lisa1011 and All: Is it cold at the moment where you live? I think this is a problem with the physical coldness of the machine/poor thermal insulation of the display.

I thought mine was getting worse and worse, and then we came out of the cold snap where I live. How bad this symptom is depends for me on how physically cold the lid of the computer is. I have the space gray and I have to say that the metal gets exceptionally cold compared to the silver machines I have had in the past (as you might expect because of the color). Now that it is warmer where I live, my machine gets less physically cold on my way to work, and I am not seeing the lines. If I am being objective, I have no lines as long as my machine is at or above the published operational temperature (10ºC/50ºF). This is not to say this is okay, because I have never seen this in any of the *many* Apple powerbooks/macbooks I have had before, but I wonder if the lid is now so thin, that the thermal insulation on the display is less than it should be and it is basically malfunctioning due to cold until the operational temperature gets up.

Jun 13, 2018 9:58 AM in response to bruce625

I am from India. I bought my laptop (2016 MacBook Pro 13-inch with Touch Bar) in May 2017. It's a little over a year old now. I have the same problem at the bottom of the screen. So here's what happens. I'm a designer, so I frequently use apps like Sketch, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and so on. When I use regular apps like Notes, Safari, Chrome (which eats a lot of RAM, by the way), Spotify, and so on, simultaneously with multiple windows and desktops open, nothing happens, and everything has been fine for the first 10-11 months. Recently though, whenever I use the laptop for more than 3-4 hours with at least one window of Sketch or Photoshop or any design software open and in use, black lines start appearing at the bottom of my screen. They start faint, one or two, and with time, they become darker, with more lines appearing, until a point when it's a thick dark black band at the bottom of the screen (feathered/smooth edges, not sharp). And then they even start appearing on the top, but not to such an extent. My observation is that this has a correlation with graphics use and heating. The laptop gets very hot. (It gets hot when the bands appear, but the bands may not always appear when it gets hot otherwise, so it's not just the heating issue, it's more of a graphics issue). The photo attached herewith shows the issue at a stage when the bands have thickened. It looks translucent, but it's very opaque at its worst.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 2, 2017 1:44 PM in response to bruce625

I have the exact problem. I took my MacBook Pro touch bar 13 inch to Genius Bar. They told me that they're gonna fix it and can't replace it. It's frustrating because I bought this computer in December 31. (3 months old) And I seldomly used it because we have a 15inch MacBook Pro as well. The computer didn't even left the house once and really used it around 1 hour tops a day. Now there are permanent grey lines on top of the display with occasional flickering.

The people at Genius Bar told me that I should parley with Apple Care if I want to replace the computer. But why apple care and Genius Bar are different entities is beyond my comprehension. What a strange bureaucracy!!

This is by no means a cheap piece of computer and it shouldn't be subjected to a heavy repair process this early on.

Mar 2, 2017 3:07 PM in response to cuku77

My MacBook Pro is back. So far so good. It's frustrating that the price doesn't match the quality... Anyway, after the repair, I wanted to buy AppleCare for my laptop in case any unpredictable problems in the future, the guy at Genius Bar said their system doesn't allow them to add AppleCare for my laptop, because my NEW MacBook Pro has been repaired...If you don't have AppleCare and plan to get one, do it before send it to repair.

Mar 2, 2017 5:08 PM in response to lisa1011

This is my first Mac and I gotta say I almost gave it back when I had the display issue. I am very disappointed that you can't buy AppleCare. makes me have serious doubts about apple. When I was having issues I was surprised there was no way to email apple! WT ****? phone tech was not able to help. the only thing I can think that might have helped me, I was in constant contact with apple either by phone or chat or at the store. I was very upset with the problem but I kept my cool. I did inform every contact my extreme disappointment. I not sure if it helped or once in my life I just got "lucky". either way the way apple treated me is the only reason I kept my Mac. now to read how you all have been treated is disconcerting to say the least. I would contact every way possible to let them know just how you were treated and demand not only to be able to take advantage of AppleCare, but you should receive a discounted price for all the troubles.

I agree with cukcu77 these things are not cheap $2k is a lot of cash. I saved for a very long time to justify spending so much when I could have bought a window base for under $300. If you used a credit card you might have recourse through you bank. and receive a full refund.

Apple for this kind of money we expect royal treatment and performance. not treated like some schmuck! you clearly have an issue with these units and should be exchanging for new. that was the only act that keep me as a customer. you need to correct this problem, rumors are flying about how inferior the latest products are produced. Step up and make it right. or if you going to cheap out then drop the price to windows and move in with Bill Gates

Mar 8, 2017 12:03 AM in response to S. Power

That's exactly how mine started. I would contact apple asap if for nothing else than to document your issue. I contacted apple via chat and phone before I made an appointment. Make an appointment soon and leave your Mac turned off for a few hours before you go to the store and only turn it on when you have a tech watching. I would think the sooner and newer the computer the better chance you will have to get an exchange. but it does sound like apple is not replacing or repairing, I feel for you.

Mar 10, 2017 1:49 PM in response to S. Power

Yes, I live in Indiana. I noticed that too. The symptom appear at the beginning of February, when the weather was particularly cold. I bought my computer in Taiwan, it is a warm place. The problem appeared when I got back from Taiwan. When the weather became warmer at the end of February, the line did become less obvious than before. It was a really dark line when weather was cold, but a transparent gray bar when it was warmer. This problem actually is happening in China too. Many new MacBook Pro owner reported the problem on the forum. They had the problem when weather is cold. But when they brought their computers to Apple Store, the weather was warmer, as a result Apple Store didn't let them replace the computer because there was apparently no problem.

Mar 11, 2017 11:00 AM in response to lisa1011

lisa1011, thanks for the reply and the extra info. Very interesting! It seems to me that this is a design flaw of the whole machine, not a faulty component that can be replaced/repaired. My guess is that any replacement/fix would behave the same anyway, so I've cancelled by Genius Bar appointment for next week. Maybe Apple will come up with a true fix in the future, with all the reports coming in, but it doesn't seem like they have one yet. It actually seems like most of the Genius Bar people have no clue what is going on! This is unfortunate, and pretty disappointing, but on the other hand, it seems like there is no permanent damage/display failure going on.

Apr 16, 2017 10:02 AM in response to maurocampos

My touchbar macbook pro arrived December had problem with lines on display Feb... Had ENTIRE top half of mac replaced as well as battery. Problem happen ed again last week(!!) Was told u had to wait to see if back office wide replace but unlikely until 4 (!!!) repairs. Totally unacceptable in a top of the range new Mac. It was only when I checked UK consumer law that I found out the following... If an error occurs within 6 months consumer can demand replacement or repair. If one repair has already taken place, you can demand full refund of original purchase price. NOT appreciated that this was not offered to me when I requested replacement and had to research consumer law myself in order to achieve what should have been offered from the start. Have lost time and been put to unnecessary inconvenience. Check your local consumer law as  will not give you all options available to you - only those offered under their own warranty.

Apr 17, 2017 9:57 AM in response to bruce625

Just for the records, I have this problem too.

Seems to get worse with decreasing temperature. Problem disappears upon restart but reemerges when waking up from sleep.

Horizontal lines initially occupy the whole screen but are very soon restricted to only the uppermost two centimeters.

It's been worsening recently; first 2 minutes of operation following waking up from sleep produce „ghost images" or afterburns when minimizing windows, switching tabs etc.

Hope this helps Apple or whomever diagnose this problem.

2016 MacBook Pro 13.3 with touch bar screen has lines across the top

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.