Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't i update my ipad mini 1 to ios 10?

why cant i update my ipad mini 1 to ios ios 10

currently i have ios 9.3.5... When i ty to check for new updates it says that the software is updated..

help

and thank you

iPad Mini, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Jan 31, 2017 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2017 7:09 PM

Examples of apps NOT working on your 1st gen iPad Mini, please.

The iPad Mini 1 is functionally equivalent to the iPad 2.

GIve me an example of an app that is no longer working on your iPad Mini, so I can check this for myself.

Apps just don't stop working if you have a fairly up to date or current version of an app!

I have have an original, 2010 iPad and all of the apps on that iPad still work with their last updated versions for iOS 5.1.1.

Give some app examples from your iPad Mini that either I or someone else here can check out and verify.

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2017 7:09 PM in response to rlparson

Examples of apps NOT working on your 1st gen iPad Mini, please.

The iPad Mini 1 is functionally equivalent to the iPad 2.

GIve me an example of an app that is no longer working on your iPad Mini, so I can check this for myself.

Apps just don't stop working if you have a fairly up to date or current version of an app!

I have have an original, 2010 iPad and all of the apps on that iPad still work with their last updated versions for iOS 5.1.1.

Give some app examples from your iPad Mini that either I or someone else here can check out and verify.

Jan 31, 2017 2:56 PM in response to CharPac

The iPad 2, 3 and 1st generation iPad Mini are all ineligible and excluded from upgrading to iOS 10.

They all share similar hardware architectures and a less powerful 1.0 Ghz CPU that Apple has deemed insufficiently powerful enough to even run the basic, barebones features of iOS 10.

Why would you want to upgrade, anyways?

Since iOS 8, older iPad models such as the iPad 2, 3, 4 and the original iPad Mini have only been getting the most basic of iOS features.

Older iPad users get none of the newest and coolest cutting edge features that newer model iDevices, with better hardware specs, can handle with more aplomb.

FYI,

Just because your 1st gen iPad Mini is no longer able to upgrade to the latest iOS doesn't mean your 1st gen iPad Mini is suddenly useless.

Your 1st gen iPad Mini will work as it always has and the apps you have installed on it will continue to update and receive some level of app updates relevent to your current iOS.

You have had four years of iOS upgrades and updates.

Your 1st gen iPad Mini will still do everything it does now and you will, get, at least, another full year, perhaps two, if you decide you want to wait longer to get a new or newer iPad model.

Your 1st gen iPad Mini is NOT, suddenly, becoming obsolete or useless.

Good Luck to you!

Dec 17, 2017 11:07 AM in response to Alanafish

Your issues ARE NOT related to not being able to upgrade your iPad Mini 1.

I have a 64 GBs iPad 2 with approx. 20 GBs of free data storage space left.

A 1st gen iPad Mini is the near functional equivalent of an iPad 2.

My iPad 2 has running pretty well with the lone exception of a nearly 2 minute boot time.

It is still receiving well over 90% of my installed apps in app updates and will continue to receive app updates for, at least, the near, foreseeable future.

You never bothered to sign up here earlier so, someone, like me, could help you with your 1st gen iPad Mini issues!

Instead, when all angry and P.O’ed, you just did things arbitrarly to try and get your 1st gen iPad Mini workable, again!

None of us here can really help you now because you went and took the “nuclear” approach to dealing with your iPad Mini 1 issues!

We do not know what storage size your Mini is and how much free data storage space it hsd left on it at the time of your issues.

We do not know what KINDS of apps your iPad Mini 1 was running that caused all of your Mini’s issues.

You didn’t come into these Apple product technical support communities to try and received help.

You signed up here to whine complain and moan and groan and kvetch about your iPad Mini woes here, which is against the support community Terms of Use Agreement!

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5952

Because of the previous drastic steps you took to get your 1st gen iPad Mini working again, I do not think anyone can help you, now.

But I will post a link to one of my helpful tips post, in case something else happens to your 1st gen iPad Mini in the future.

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11!

Bookmark this page and/or copy its contents, too, if you like!

You’re Welcome and Good Luck!

Jun 3, 2017 9:19 AM in response to rlparson

I have an iPad 2nd generation on iOS 9.3.5.

Still, STILL, to this DAY, I am receiving regular app updates and ALL, but one app, are still updating and working just fine.

The only reason I have one app no longer working is that the last version of that app has moved completely to iOS 10 as its minimum iOS, now.

The other 99% of the apps I use on my iPad 2 are very current and still working!

I have over 160 or so, apps on my iPad 2.

I am finding it very hard to believe that your iPad Mini is no longer working.

Have you tried a hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons?

<Edited by Host>

Jun 3, 2017 10:48 AM in response to rlparson

Bring your iPad Mini into an Apple Store for diagnosis and possible replacement.

You iPad Mini should not be malfunctioning as you describe.

Your 1st gen iPad Mini is having a hardware issue.

Everything I stated is completely factual and true.

Your 1st gen iPad Mini is not working as it should be.

Good Luck to You in the future!

Jun 15, 2017 2:15 AM in response to Nocklaus

Yes.

Some apps have moved completely to iOS 10 and more will follow, but the previous compatible versions will still work as they always have.

The older iOS 10/9.3.5 compatible app versions won't suddenly stop working.

Older apps will still work and function despite no more updates.

Any new apps that have been developed when iOS 10 first got introduced, will ONLY work with iOS 10 and later compatible iDevices.

And by the time iOS 11 gets launched, there may no longer be any more app updates for any older 32 bit iDevices

Aug 16, 2017 12:32 AM in response to ubaydahk

If you bothered to read all of my replies on this post, you will have THE answers as to why Apple won't let the 1st gen iPad Mini upgrade to iOS 10.

Explanations is in this post, as well as other similar posts from others, like you, that have asked about their 1st gen iPad Mini.

You don't like the answers, that is your issue.

Not mine nor Apple's.

Aug 28, 2017 7:34 PM in response to FreddieGilbreth

Again, not every app requires iOS 10.

As I continually state, my iPad 2 and 3 are STILL receiving app updates for nearly all of the apps my wife and I have on these iPad models.

The 1st gen iPad Mini has had 4 years of iOS upgrades/updates and is STILL receiving app updates to this current day!

The only apps older iPad models won't get are the ones specifically made for and after iOS 10 was introduced.

It's a moot point soon anyhow, as in a couple of months, the all 64-bit coded iOS 11 will render all older, 32- bit iDevices obsolete and none of these iDevice models will receive ANY new app updates, at all.

Older iPads will still work and function as they always have, but no new app updates will be forthcoming.

You will be able to continue using these older iDevices for some time, but, eventually, you will need to purchase a much newer and supported iPad model.

Sep 5, 2017 8:10 PM in response to MichelPM

When I play the game DESIGN HOME on my iPad Mini it constantly crashes. I have the latest version of the game, I've cleared the cache on the game and restarted the app. I've cleared the web history in my browser. I've done hard resets and uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I've even done a complete reset of the iPad. I use legacy encryption on a fast fiber network...all to no avail.

Sep 20, 2017 5:05 AM in response to Briansyddall

iPad mini 1 has a dual core 32-bit 1 GHz Apple A5 processor and 512 MB of RAM; iPad mini 2 has a dual core 64-bit 1.3 GHz Apple A7 processor, M7 motion coprocessor, and 1 GB of RAM. So there are significant differences not least of which being the 64 bit processor

The display resolution is also higher on 2 which can effect compatibility.

However, is also necessarily in Apples interest for users to have to update devices periodically, a fact which cannot be ignored when buying the latest model - they will not have an unlimited life span.

Despite what the angry poster put on this thread before, eventually older devices will have little or no utility.

Why can't i update my ipad mini 1 to ios 10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.