Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get rid of exclamation mark on iPhone photos

Why do some of my pictures have an exclamation mark in the bottom right corner and are blurry? I cannot share or put them as wallpaper. I think it is because storage is almoat full but i have deleted a lot of videos and more than half of my pictures and i still have the same issue. It's annoying!

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Feb 6, 2017 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2017 10:28 AM

in order to keep your photos non blurry and to get rid of the exclamation mark you have to go into settings and click icloud. Once you click it there will be a series of options you can choose, click Photos. Once you click that, there will be two options that will say "Optimize iPhone storage" and "Download and keep originals" you will most likely be already checked off to "Optimize iPhone Storage" so you want to click "Download and keep originals." When you go back to photos whatever pops up click ignore and your photos should be all good now, non-blurry. Hope this helps.

56 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2017 10:28 AM in response to Ligiization

in order to keep your photos non blurry and to get rid of the exclamation mark you have to go into settings and click icloud. Once you click it there will be a series of options you can choose, click Photos. Once you click that, there will be two options that will say "Optimize iPhone storage" and "Download and keep originals" you will most likely be already checked off to "Optimize iPhone Storage" so you want to click "Download and keep originals." When you go back to photos whatever pops up click ignore and your photos should be all good now, non-blurry. Hope this helps.

Mar 30, 2017 12:06 AM in response to Ligiization

Basically this signifies that the pictures are stored in iCloud. While the advice given in this thread so far is fine, it will result in the downloading of all your photos which, depending on how many, will take a while and a lot of extra space on your device. It should be sufficient to tap on the photos you want to see and they will download if you have an internet connection. The blur and exclamation mark will disappear.

Nov 9, 2017 11:24 PM in response to Nakjam

I did have a WiFi connection. There was nothing wrong with any of my settings. I solved the issue now by backing up the phone onto my Mac, resetting it to factory settings, and then restoring. It then took overnight to properly restore all the photos from iCloud but they are working fine now. Must be some sort of intermittent glitch.

Dec 22, 2017 11:12 AM in response to Siobhan1988LL

I’m with you here. I have tried everything short of doing a total factory reset and restore because I am selling my phone to get a new one, and this would take so much time. My issue is that my old pictures aren’t doing this, only random new ones. I’ve been looking for a fix for days and have tried everything (like I said, short of factory reset and restore), but nothing is working!! I’m so frustrated with this. My husband read yesterday that Apple has admitted that they are “slowing down their older devices”, I wonder if this has anything to do with it? I’m beyond frustrated with this as it’s interfering with my work!! I really hope someone can give an answer that will actually work!

Feb 18, 2018 10:04 AM in response to Ligiization

After 2 years of having this issue, I finally figured it out. So lastnight I got really annoyed with having all 3000+ of my pictures blurry and not being able to upload, view or share them because of the exclamation mark. I went over into the section that says "Photos" and at the bottom I realized that it said downloading paused because phone is saving battery power" MY LOW POWER MODE WAS ON! As soon as I turned it off, all the pictures started to go back to their original setting. They werent blurry or anything. So I think the trick is if your photo settings is set to iCloud Photo Library, Download and Keep Originals The phone is trying to download all the originals into your icloud, and low power mode prevents that from happening because it pauses the download. So, my advice is to keep your phone off of low power mode especially while its uploading new pics. Hopefully this will help you as much as it has helped me.

Get rid of exclamation mark on iPhone photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.