Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: "Your system is infected with 3 viruses!"

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Hello,

My name is Blue and I need your help.

I have a Macbook Pro with OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6. It's a 13.3-inch display with an Intel Iris Graphics and a 251 GB storage capacity.

A pop-up appeared from:

apple.com-supportcenter.pro/401/virusfound.php?_jsess=cc2189bf...

Page states: "Your system is infected with 3 viruses!"

Continuing: "Your Mac is infected with 3 viruses. Our security check found traces of 2 malware and 1 phishing/spyware. System damage: 28.1% - Immediate removal require!"

It appears to be a malware but there's a logo that says, "AppleCare Protection Plan." It seemed legit. I exited the page immediately but was left unsure...

I attached two screenshots to this post. What do you think?

Thank you for your time.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

It's a scam. The only time a message warning of malware in a Mac OS X or iOS web browser will be legitimate is if you've just uploaded a file to a website; they cannot scan your computer, but can scan files which were uploaded to them(it's done on the server.)

(148275)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 22, 2017 1:19 PM in response to rifath khan In response to rifath khan

what kind of a lame answer is that?

Lame? I pointed out exactly the reason you're seeing these scam pages, and you even confirmed it.

Again, the web site you're visiting is causing the popup to appear. No amount of name calling can change the fact that every time you go to this site, you will be subjected to this popup.

There is no way to block a page the site itself is producing, in any browser, under any OS.

The operators of the site are crooks, and every person who goes there is a potential mark. That's the entire reason the site exists. Not so people can watch illegal copies of copyrighted material, but to see how many visitors they can get to fall for the scam.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Solved

Feb 12, 2017 4:43 PM in response to bluebookmark In response to bluebookmark

It's a scam. The only time a message warning of malware in a Mac OS X or iOS web browser will be legitimate is if you've just uploaded a file to a website; they cannot scan your computer, but can scan files which were uploaded to them(it's done on the server.)

(148275)

Feb 12, 2017 4:43 PM

Reply Helpful (11)

Oct 22, 2017 11:58 AM in response to rifath khan In response to rifath khan

The only thing there may be to block is your own browsing habits.

Assuming they're not being generated by adware you've inadvertently installed, such popups are generated by the web site you visited, or another site you are automatically directed to by one you did visit. In other words, you will get the popup every time you visit that site, since that's where it's coming from in the first place. Stop going there.

Adware can introduce these same scam pages, in the attempt to get you to purchase worthless AV software, or whatever else they're trying to push.

Oct 22, 2017 11:58 AM

Reply Helpful (4)
Question marked as Helpful

Oct 22, 2017 1:19 PM in response to rifath khan In response to rifath khan

what kind of a lame answer is that?

Lame? I pointed out exactly the reason you're seeing these scam pages, and you even confirmed it.

Again, the web site you're visiting is causing the popup to appear. No amount of name calling can change the fact that every time you go to this site, you will be subjected to this popup.

There is no way to block a page the site itself is producing, in any browser, under any OS.

The operators of the site are crooks, and every person who goes there is a potential mark. That's the entire reason the site exists. Not so people can watch illegal copies of copyrighted material, but to see how many visitors they can get to fall for the scam.

Oct 22, 2017 1:19 PM

Reply Helpful (7)
User profile for user: bluebookmark

Question: "Your system is infected with 3 viruses!"