Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Genius on latest iOS update?? Why??

Why on earth would Apple drop the ability to "CREATE A GENIUS PLAYLIST" with the latest iOS update - 10.2.1 for iPhones and iPod touch?

I would hope it was just a slip and will return with the next update. Anybody know?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Feb 13, 2017 9:15 AM

12 replies

Feb 14, 2017 12:39 PM in response to Cosmic Rocker

Yes, I agree with you...but I suspect that Apple is going with Apple Music as a source of profit over Genius. In which case, I'm not sure you should be optimistic about Genius "coming back."

As these threads attest, you're not the only frustrated one:

Genius not working (iTunes 12.3.3.17)

MacBook Pro/iTunes: genius not working anymore

Interestingly, you can still opt to update Genius on the Mac - but not iOS.

Have you heard of Tangerine? Most users prefer Pandora.

May 28, 2017 11:09 PM in response to poikkeus1

I agree with poikkeus1, I think the removal has a lot to do with Apple Music. I'm an iTunes Match user and I have noticed that the Genius service on iTunes has not been working with new music and the only information I have gotten from Apple regarding it is that they are 'investigating'.

If it is a service from Apple you find useful, it might help to send feedback

Feb 13, 2017 12:21 PM in response to Cosmic Rocker

In your case, it's best to build a Genius playlist around the track.

1. Choose a track on your iTunes playlist - a good candidate for a Genius playlist.

2. Look near the bottom of the screen. On the right, near the edge, you'll see three red periods. Tap the thee periods.

3. The screen will give you four options; choose "Create Genius Playlist" - and follow the instructions from there.

Feb 13, 2017 5:13 PM in response to Cosmic Rocker

If you're viewing a single song, there are three different "ellipses":

One is near the top: it has a disk, heart, and an ellipsis.

The second is about a third of the way up: it has a disk, a track's time, and an ellipsis.

The third is in the whitish strip near the bottom, on the right. To use Genius Playlist, use only the ellipsis in the white strip, at the bottom.

Feb 13, 2017 5:37 PM in response to poikkeus1

Poikkeus - I would love to see what you are describing, but I see none of that when I view a single song on my iPhone 6. I would love to be able to send you a screenshot of what I am seeing and then see what I'm doing wrong. There is only one ellipses on my screen and it the three red dots in the bottom right corner. When I tap it - I get the choices I described in my last response. Want to email me personally and exchange screenshots. I would so love to figure this out.

Feb 14, 2017 11:30 AM in response to poikkeus1

So Poikkeus - do you agree now that with the latest iOS update - that Apple hopefully just screwed up and left off the option to start a Genius playlist from a single song? Someone postulated that they might have dropped it because Genius does not work with Apple Music. I certainly hope that is NOT the case - I don't do Apple Music anyway. I hope it comes back with the next update.

No Genius on latest iOS update?? Why??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.