Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Plantronics USB Headset Stutters After Upgrading to 10.12.4

I've got a Plantronics USB Headset (a basic headset, http://www.plantronics.com/us/product/audio-478). I've used it on this and previous MacBooks for about three years with no problems. Today, after updating to 10.12.4, it started stuttering. It's bad enough I can't understand anything through it.

I am on an early 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, 13".

- Input and Output from the built-in audio is fine

- Output from a USB connected headphone amp is fine

- Other USB devices, like my keyboard, are fine

- I have two of these headsets, both exhibit the stuttering but both worked fine before the upgrade.

- I have reset the SMC and PRAM.

- I have changed which USB port it is plugged into including unplugging all other devices

I'm not sure what else to try at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Mar 27, 2017 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2017 12:12 PM

I have a MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch and a Plantronics 478 USB headset, and I found a temporary solution for myself. Not ideal but it fixed the stuttering after updating to Sierra 10.12.4.

Because this MacBook only has 2 USB ports (really disappointing discovery I might add ...ahem looking at you Apple), I was forced to buy a small USB hub containing 4 more ports.

I only get the stuttering when I plug the headset directly into native USB slot on the MacBook itself. For some reason when I plug the headset into one of the ports on the USB hub, the stuttering goes away and the sound is back to normal.

Hope this is helpful is some way.

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2017 12:12 PM in response to jeffsiver

I have a MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch and a Plantronics 478 USB headset, and I found a temporary solution for myself. Not ideal but it fixed the stuttering after updating to Sierra 10.12.4.

Because this MacBook only has 2 USB ports (really disappointing discovery I might add ...ahem looking at you Apple), I was forced to buy a small USB hub containing 4 more ports.

I only get the stuttering when I plug the headset directly into native USB slot on the MacBook itself. For some reason when I plug the headset into one of the ports on the USB hub, the stuttering goes away and the sound is back to normal.

Hope this is helpful is some way.

Apr 3, 2017 2:19 PM in response to jeffsiver

Yup, EXACTLY the same problem. What a joke, Apple.

I have the inexpensive logitech 340s as someone mentioned above. (Actually a great headset otherwise.)

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Headset-Internet-Calls-Music/dp/B008X3JGSI

Mac is a MBP, retina, mid 2015, 2.5i7.

What a joke. 10.12.4. Works fine with other macs in the household on 10.12.3.

What a total joke.

I am interested in what happens with different headsets; is it worth running to WalMart for another headset. Shailesh above suggests it does depend on the headset. Who knows.

Apple, you total plonkers. So pathetic.

Apr 3, 2017 6:00 PM in response to original-ALF

The only thing I can offer (I fixed mine by rolling back to 10.12.3) is that some have reported using an external non-powered USB hub with some success.

I spoke with Apple technical support today on this issue and he mentioned that it is on the "evolving issues" radar.

Its already been mentioned in several industry websites as "widely reported" and "confirmed" as a technical issue so I would expect some action on this soon.

Apr 5, 2017 3:25 AM in response to jeffsiver

I had to go to Walmart and buy an $11 basic (unpowered) USB hub.

This is on a MBP, retina, mid 2015, 2.5i7, and a basic Logitech usb headset.

It does work more or less, with the hub between the mbp and the headset.

So apple spent billions to develop 10.12.4, I had to spend a zillion dollars on the most expensive computer they make, and it won't work without a $11 usb hub.

Oh well.

Apr 6, 2017 7:53 AM in response to heecabot

Same issue here with the Plantronics .AUDIO 628. Everything was working fine, then after the 10.12.4 update, all audio through this device is stuttering so bad I cannot use it. I unplugged it and verified audio is fine though the laptop, or the thunderbolt display, but when I plug in the headset, stuttering every time now.

I desperately need a fix or workaround for this. Can't use my headset and I'm on Hangouts with remote team members every day.

Apr 6, 2017 8:00 AM in response to elraymondo

Update, I was able to confirm that by simply connecting to the USB on my Thunderbolt display, the problem goes away as well. But if I plug directly into the laptop (like I always have done) the problem persists. So I can literally sit there and swap between the two while audio is playing, and when plugged into any laptop USB port, stuttering, when plugged into the Thunderbolt display USB port, no problems (or when using laptop or Thunderbolt display as output).

Apr 7, 2017 8:09 PM in response to jeffsiver

I have the same problem. Before the last update, my "Plantronics 648 USB" headsets worked perfectly on my iMac i5 with the MacOS Sierra operating system.

However, when a few days ago I installed the new version (10.12.4), my headphones reproduce a sound with delay and echo that does not allow me to understand anything I listen to. As I need them to work, I had to use an old laptop with Windows to be able to fix the situation (unfortunate).

I think Apple should give an immediate solution to the problem and comment what they are doing to solve it.

Greetings.

Apr 11, 2017 6:34 PM in response to jeffsiver

WORKAROUND

I had the same issue today with a VXI x200 USB headset. It was working fine on 10.12.3 so I figured Apple had messed up the AppleUSBAudio.kext included in the 10.12.4 update.

The way I fixed this

- Download the 10.12.3 update dmg

- Disable SIP in the system disk

- Extract the AppleUSBAudio.kext form the installer package with Pacifist app (with admin rights) to /System/Library/Extensions/ and overwrite the old one

- Rebuilt the kext cache

- Reboot

After the reboot the system uses this old "driver" and everything works fine. Don't re enable SIP.

This workaround should work until Apple fixes this in the next update.

Detailed instructions to perform each one of this steps are a google search away.

Apr 19, 2017 9:35 AM in response to jugos654

I'm having a hard time with this. I try

sudo mv /Users/Username/Downloads/AppleUSBAudio.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

but I get

mv: rename /Users/Username/Downloads/AppleUSBAudio.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBAudio.kext: Operation not permitted

This is obviously some type of permissions error, but I can't get round it. I've tried re-naming the .kext directory but I get the same response. Anyone have any suggestions? My Logitech USB headset was working fine until I upgraded and I use Skype as my main work phone and my officemate has had enough of me using the built-in audio,

Plantronics USB Headset Stutters After Upgrading to 10.12.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.