Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV switching itself on

Hi everybody,

After updating to tvOS 10.2, my AppleTV switches itself on - I would say every 10 minutes. Switching of doesn't solve it, it switches itself on and on....

Does anybody know that issue?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Mar 29, 2017 11:26 PM

50 replies

Mar 30, 2017 10:57 AM in response to pkm881

Thank you both. That blows my theory about ethernet being the problem.

There was a report quite a while ago about Android phones running Plex and using Bluetooth somehow connecting to Apple TV 4 without being asked. The only solution then was to ask visitors (and neighbors) to turn off their phones, not ideal. Is it possible you're seeing interaction like that from some other device?

Mar 30, 2017 12:21 PM in response to amarongp

Strange. Disabling Airplay solved it for now for me. But anyway, I want to use Airplay in the future. I first thought that a device tries to switch on my Apple TV.

I activated Airplay again: same thing, it switched itself on after 10 minutes and there was following message: "

This AirPlay connection requires iOS 7.1 or later on iPhone or iPad, or OS X 10.9 or later with the latest iTunes on a Mac"

Maybe a device which tries to connect to Airplay?

Mar 30, 2017 12:38 PM in response to pkm881

Hi pkm881. With tvOS 10.2, device verification is required. The first time a device connects via AirPlay, you have to enter a code displayed on the TV screen to validate the device. This prevents hackers outside the room hijacking your device. This seems to work fine on iPad and iPhone. But it's a problem for 3rd-party apps on a computer, if they haven't updated for the new functionality. In that case, the connection is refused and that message appears. It's just a message that says the connection was rejected.

If you were not trying to AirPlay, then yes, something has tried to connect. Remember that peer-to-peer AirPlay can be initiated over Bluetooth. Do you have next-door neighbors who might be doing this? Try giving your Apple TV a distinctive name, so they won't try to connect by mistake, at least.

Mar 31, 2017 9:12 PM in response to pkm881

I am experiencing the same issues with my Gen 4 Apple TVs. I'll see a light in the living room in the middle of the night (repeatedly) and find the TV is also turned on along with the ATV. Anytime it turns itself on, the same message you described is what I find. I've resorted to unplugging the ATV from power when I'm finished using it. That works so it is the ATV causing the issue. It just started happening with the latest SW update. Really annoying. What happened to "It just works?"

Mar 31, 2017 9:19 PM in response to pkm881

I am having the same problem right after the update. It only seems to be impacting 1 of the 2 ATVs I have utilizing CEC. They are both on LG TVS. It almost seems to me like the shutoff on the ATV is too quick and the TV does not have enough time to fully shut down so the ATV thinks the TVis on and immediately starts back up. If I unplug the HDMI from the TV the ATV shuts down normally. I have tried this on all 3 HDMIs one the TV. This is a bummer because it was working perfectly before the update on the same TV.

Apr 5, 2017 3:37 AM in response to Loco

Hello Loco. I've done a little research since your post. It seems that when tvOS 10.2 requires device verification, it breaks certain 3rd party AirPlay clients. Known culprits so far are the Plex app on Android, and Beamer on Mac computers. The Plex situation is interesting, because it makes a network scan for AirPlay devices when placed on or off charge while running in the background. When it finds Apple TV, it turns it on and triggers the Device Requirements message. You should have a look for media player apps on your devices and computers that might be doing this. If your problem is Plex, you can turn off the AirPlay scan in its System Settings.

Apr 6, 2017 8:19 AM in response to pkm881

This is a serious problem with Apple TV.

We have re-booted, disconnected power and reconnected, and closed all open apps.

Not only does Apple TV turn on by itself and power on the TV all day and night, if we are watching a conventional TV channel with a live sporting event or TV show, it switches from the TV channel to the Apple TV home screen.

At this time, the only solution seems to be disconnecting power from Apple TV until we want to use it.

Apr 6, 2017 11:49 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Thank you Diana for the response. We are strictly an Apple family, so the Plex app on Android suggestion does not apply. We do not use Beamer on any of our devices, including:

an older Mac Pro, A MacBook Pro, an iPad air and mini, an iPhone 6S and 7, a total of 5 ATVs (of different vintages,) and an iPod.

2 of the ATVs are Gen 4, and they are the units that turn on by them selves. One thing I have noticed is our living room set appears to be the principle actor. The unit in the office turns on less frequently by it self.

Apr 10, 2017 7:16 AM in response to j-braun

j-braun wrote:

I am having the same problem right after the update. It only seems to be impacting 1 of the 2 ATVs I have utilizing CEC. They are both on LG TVS. It almost seems to me like the shutoff on the ATV is too quick and the TV does not have enough time to fully shut down so the ATV thinks the TVis on and immediately starts back up. If I unplug the HDMI from the TV the ATV shuts down normally. I have tried this on all 3 HDMIs one the TV. This is a bummer because it was working perfectly before the update on the same TV.

interesting discovery j-braun! ℹ

both my effected 10.2 ATV are attached to LG TVS. completely different types of LAN (in terms of OTHER devices). one is ethernet, one is WiFI. both fail to stay asleep since the 10.2 update

on requesting sleep the TV does go off, but as you say the white light is back on BEFORE the lights are out on the TV

I'll try the HDMI trick and see if that confirms your theory.

Apr 10, 2017 5:34 PM in response to pkm881

My Apple TV 4 turns on when I turn WIFI on and connect to my home wifi on my Android 6.0.1 Samsung Galaxy S5

It does not do this when my wife turns on and connects to home wifi (same phone same software)

It does not do this when connecting iPad minis to wifi (always connected) or when my Mac is connected to wifi.

So, it seems to be something with my phone and when I turn on my phones wifi the Apple TV comes on and then my TV is set for auto on which is annoying.

Been doing this since the latest and greatest Apple TV update.

Apple TV switching itself on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.