Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone shutting off since ios 10.3

since updating my iphone 6 plus to ios 10.3 my iphone shuts off occasionally even when battery is 80-90 percent. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Posted on Mar 31, 2017 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2017 6:32 PM

Hi there, diz67!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that your iPhone 6 Plus is occasionally shutting off unexpectedly, regardless of the battery percentage. You noticed this began occurring after updating to iOS 10.3. I rely on my own iPhone all day, so I know it's important for it to be on when you need it. I'd be happy to help!

My recommendation is to take a look at the following article: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly

The first step is to make sure your iOS software is up to date; since yours already is, you can move onto the second recommendation and go from there.

Cheers!
36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2017 6:32 PM in response to diz67

Hi there, diz67!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that your iPhone 6 Plus is occasionally shutting off unexpectedly, regardless of the battery percentage. You noticed this began occurring after updating to iOS 10.3. I rely on my own iPhone all day, so I know it's important for it to be on when you need it. I'd be happy to help!

My recommendation is to take a look at the following article: If your iOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly

The first step is to make sure your iOS software is up to date; since yours already is, you can move onto the second recommendation and go from there.

Cheers!

May 7, 2017 7:02 AM in response to NoahFromBklyn

Just to let every one know. I called corporate and they put me on with a tech guy at one of the highest levels so they say. They do not read these forums nor are aware that our phones are shutting down with this horrid update. They told me I would have to wipe the phone clean and start over again. Why would I want to do that when on so many websites people are complaining that their phones are shutting down. More people have to call corporate Apple. Either they don't care or they don't know. Most likely don't care. I can't wait for the next update. I hate when I go to use my phone and poof it's completely off unknown to me.

Jul 25, 2017 6:27 PM in response to diz67

Yes. It's very random and typically happens when my phone is locked. I've not had it happen when using it. Like you, it didn't start until the 10.3 update. The "experts" don't have any good answers. The "restore your phone" answer sounds like the reasons we left Microsoft in the rear view mirror years ago. 🙂

Aug 9, 2017 3:36 PM in response to diz67

Same problem here. iPhone 6, 64gb, 10.3.3. Just started happening after the update to 10.3.3. The phone randomly shuts off with plenty of battery left. It's impossible to turn the phone back on without plugging it in. I did a full restore from a backup with no resolution. Clearly this is a 10.3.3 problem.

Has anyone tried the iOS 11 beta to see if that fixes the problem?

Aug 17, 2017 2:43 AM in response to diz67

I have the same exact issue, it happened the second time today, since the upgrade to 10.3.x

My iPhone 7 running iOS 10.3.3 randomly powers off, while having well over 50% battery life. And considering this happens while the phone is in sleep mode, I don't even notice it's off until god knows how much time has passed.

It causes me to lose calls and notifications.

Aug 23, 2017 2:13 AM in response to diz67

I have the same issue, iPhone 7s 10.3.3 phone started shutting down 2 days ago and no-one can fix it or offer a replacement until it is 'fixed'. I have to drive 5 hours to visit the closest apple store and it will take minimum 10 business days to fix. Thats if i get an appointment, great for me who is trying to run a business.. seriously someone fix this please!

Aug 24, 2017 2:38 PM in response to iShagoon

I'm (sort of?) glad that I've finally found someone else who is describing a problem identical to mine. 😬 I have a "regular" 6-Plus that is around 2 years old; I literally just paid it off... I previously hadn't made the connection between the iOS 10.3 update and this problem, but now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that's exactly when it started for me. So far, it only happens when the phone is locked and not being used for anything (music, apps, etc.); I'll just go to pick up my phone, and randomly I'll find that it has--APPARENTLY--shut off completely. I say "apparently" because it doesn't start again nearly as quickly as it normally would. In fact, it almost seems like the phone "freezes" right before it can load the lock-page, and I'm actually shutting it down and rebooting it as I mess with the power button. I don't recall ever seeing the white Apple logo or the spinning circle at any point during this process, but I can't say I'm positive about that. I'm wondering if your phone has also been freezing up and crashing its apps more frequently? Because I almost feel like this random "shut off" problem might actually be a variation of freezing. (?)

Aug 25, 2017 2:13 PM in response to StellaChipmunk

StellaChipmunk,

It only appears to mostly happen for me when it's locked. I'll pick up my 6S (two years old) to make a call or check something in an app, and it's non-responsive when activated. No unlock screen or anything. Within a few seconds, the Apple logo pops up and it starts to reboot. Battery levels are not a correlation.

I have had it happen a couple of times while unlocked and using it for app tasks and during a phone call. It's not freezing during those events; it's rebooting on it's own. 10.3.3

Sep 1, 2017 7:14 AM in response to diz67

This just happened to me a couple days ago. I took my phone off its charger and was walking up to my buddies house. When I took my phone out to check the time it didn't turn on. In the course of two minutes my phone went from fully charged to non-responsive. I have not been able to even get the apple logo no matter how much I charge it. I need this phone for business and to pay bills. If Apple won't fix this now, I'm leaving them in the dust.

Sep 14, 2017 1:06 PM in response to diz67

I am having the same issue. I just updated to 10..3.3 on Tuesday. Within 5 minutes of the update my phone shut down.

It will not stay turned on. They wiped my phone clean. Started set up like it was a new phone. Only thing on it is the IOS system 10.3.3 and it is shutting my phone down and draining the battery. I have been in contact with apple support, they have no help for me. I have requested a new phone, as I live in areas hit by the Hurricane.

Sep 19, 2017 5:37 PM in response to diz67

At last, for a long time there's a latest thread for this issue. I've been struggling about this freeze issue once the phone was locked and after a minute it goes freeze and shuts down. My phone was 5s, last year I've try to fixed this removing the icloud backup. But once I installed the 10.3.3, it starts again, leaving me not to lock and always open my phone. It ***** that why it's happening to me while my others colleagues that has iPhone doesn't. Hope the iOS11 fixed this kind of issues. I might have a trauma buying iPhone again!

Oct 1, 2017 5:34 AM in response to md1578

My husband and I have iPhone 6's and experience this since that update too. But it is happening more and more often lately. Getting tired of it. Sad someone said iOS 11 didn't fix it for them. I actually got a new iPhone too because my son dropped my old one in the toilet and it happened with my old one and my brand new one. Come on apple!!!

iphone shutting off since ios 10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.