Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble opening 4k 10-bit files from the Panasonic GH5?

Anyone able to open 4k 10-bit files from the Panasonic GH5? Final Cut, Quicktime, Premiere... none seem to support it. 4k 8-bit and other formats open fine. They're all H264 .MOV files. Panasonic didn't have an answer. Is it just not supported my Apple yet?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Apr 5, 2017 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2017 11:46 PM

I am able to open in FCPX 10.2.3 Panasonic GH5 files shot at 3840x2160 25p 422/10bit/LongGOP. I am using an iMac 5K mid 2015 3.3 GHz with 24 GB of memory. There is no problem editing the files in FCPX. The same files will not open in Quicktime Player 10.4.

20 replies

May 5, 2017 3:47 AM in response to waterfruit

Yes I'd also like to know when Quicktime will support 10 bit files from the Panasonic GH5. FCP X seems to support them although playback is very slow. Its ok once the file has been transcoded or converted to proxy.

Many people in the GH5 community (an extremely popular camera) are asking about compatibility of this format and a clear answer from Apple on Quicktime / FCPX compatibility would be very welcome. Adobe have just announced that a June update will see Premiere with full compatibility with 10 bit files. Davinci Resolve's latest version 14 seems to be compatible (although its unstable and in beta still).

Please Apple - let us know what's happening here.

May 18, 2017 1:46 AM in response to waterfruit

I'm experiencing this problem too with FCPX on MacBook pro and GH5 files 10 bit 422.

For now I use a workaround using EDITREADY2 software to change the files to Apple prores. It works but it is a pain to have to do this. I hope apple does something soon about this.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/05/15/get-editing-pesky-gh5-10bit-files-premiere -pro-editready-2/

Trouble opening 4k 10-bit files from the Panasonic GH5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.