Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay freezing screen on iPhone 6s

I've just bought a 2nd hand iPhone 6s - all perfect apart from one thing. When I use Apple Pay over contactless the touch screen becomes unresponsive. Only fix is a hard reset.

Anyone experienced this? It's clearly not a problem with the touch screen itself as the reset sorts it out.

Very strange!

Posted on May 26, 2017 4:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2017 10:23 AM

Hello Roggster,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems you are experiencing issues with using Apple Pay on your iPhone. At this point, I recommend you reinstall iOS on your device; this will help us isolate the situation further. Reinstalling iOS should not affect any of your data, but it is always a best practice to make sure you have a current backup in either iTunes or iCloud.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once you have a current backup, follow the steps from the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" section in this article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on

Use the ā€œUpdateā€ option and not ā€œRestoreā€ and these steps will reinstall iOS. Keep in mind that these steps were written for a different issue, but they will still help us isolate the situation further. If your issue still isn't resolved, use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iOS software to factory settings, as this process erases the information and settings on your device and installs a fresh copy of the latest iOS software. Temporarily setup your phone as new to test your issues, and then restore your backup and test the issues again.

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings
Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Cheers!
32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2017 10:23 AM in response to Roggster

Hello Roggster,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems you are experiencing issues with using Apple Pay on your iPhone. At this point, I recommend you reinstall iOS on your device; this will help us isolate the situation further. Reinstalling iOS should not affect any of your data, but it is always a best practice to make sure you have a current backup in either iTunes or iCloud.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Once you have a current backup, follow the steps from the "If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up" section in this article:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on

Use the ā€œUpdateā€ option and not ā€œRestoreā€ and these steps will reinstall iOS. Keep in mind that these steps were written for a different issue, but they will still help us isolate the situation further. If your issue still isn't resolved, use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iOS software to factory settings, as this process erases the information and settings on your device and installs a fresh copy of the latest iOS software. Temporarily setup your phone as new to test your issues, and then restore your backup and test the issues again.

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings
Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Cheers!

May 29, 2017 6:18 AM in response to Teddy_B

Hi jameson.h,

Thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it.

I tried your suggestion (even went as far as putting the phone into DFU mode and restoring, then using as a new device, setting up Apple Pay and running out to the store to try it out before doing anything else to the phone.

Unfortunately, exactly the same problem :-(

Any other ideas before I write this phone off as having a hardware fault and trying to return it (with all the hassle that comes with!)?

Ta,

Nick

Oct 20, 2017 2:06 AM in response to Mirrdor

Anyone else still having this problem? Ive just bought a 2nd hand iPhone 7 plus and straight after using apple pay this happened, seems fine for everything else, just really annoying, can only reboot the phone to get it back to normal but just annoying as I wanted to be able to use apple pay. Just updated to the latest iOS update to see if this would fix it but no luck.

Anyone know of any cures?!?!

Oct 27, 2017 1:34 PM in response to Roggster

Hey Roggster,

Me too but itā€™s only been recent... Hereā€™s my sob story :(...

I bought my iPhone 7 (256gb) in September ā€˜16 and set up Apple Pay with my Credit & Debit cards soon afterwards (within a week of purchase) and used Apple Pay at every chance I got because itā€™s grrrrrreat! Really handy on the tube and is far cooler than an Oyter card thatā€™s for sure!

Never once had an issue until iOS 11.? came out...?

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s been since 11.0.0 or 11.0.something but I know it was around the last week in August this year that it syarted doing this and I feel your pain buddy!

After it finally got the better of me and I just about list the plot this week I asked my phone guru mate.

He advised me to backup then restore, which I did yesterday, tried it today and still the same... he recommended tonight that I restore it to a new phone like you did, but Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ll still have the same issue as you did... but Iā€™ll try it regardless... I mean to restore to new phone and just setup one card in wallet and go to the local for a pint to test it! Any excuse ;-)

He is also suspecting the NFC hardware vs IOS 11 onwards are clashing...?

But thatā€™s yet to be proven and I donā€™t want to send it to Apple for god knows how long because being without my phone is as bad as cutting one arm off!

But another mate (an Android lover and iPhone hater) says ā€œthatā€™s what you get for buying Apple! Their stuff always ā€œmysteriouslyā€ glitches and hangs when they release or are going to release a new product! I.e. iPhone X & 8!

Hmmm? Conspiracy or could he be onto something???

Apple just hasnā€™t been the same since Lord Jobs passed :(

Nov 13, 2017 11:47 AM in response to Roggster

Same issue here! iPhone 6S running IOS 11.1.1 I removed cards from wallet and reinstalled them, this did not help.

Another issue, my grocery store has an app that displays a loyalty card for points. If they scan it from my screen the screen freezes!

I called Apple support and went to the Genius bar, they have never seen this before, yeah right! Diagnostic did not reveal anything wrong. I have a case open and will follow up.

Dec 4, 2017 8:55 PM in response to Roggster

I have this problem with Apple Pay freezing my touchscreen too. The home button and sleep/wake button will still work when it freezes but the touchscreen is completely unresponsive until a hard reset. I also have some lag with the keyboard and scrolling. Iā€™ve tried resetting the phone to factory and restoring backup and finally clean installing through iTunes and setting the phone up as new still no dice. Just writing this reply Iā€™m getting the keyboard lag. I believe this issue is related to after market screen replacements as that is what I had done and since a new screen Iā€™ve had these problems. I first thought it was an iOS 11 bug but itā€™s actually a problem with after market screens not being compatible with iOS 11. Iā€™m running iOS 11.2 now and still have the problem. I want to take it to Apple to have it fixed to hopefully have an OEM screen solve the problem. I just hope they will work on

It. I know you stated that you bought the phone second hand so itā€™s possible it had a screen replacement. Can you let me know if you had Apple look at it and if it was fixed?

Dec 8, 2017 8:08 AM in response to Roggster

Just purchased a 2nd hand iphone 6s plus. Set it all up (using ios 11.2) and used Apple Pay for the fist time today and yep, the screen froze. Did a soft re-set and all worked ok again, used the Apple pay again and another freeze. I've searched the net on this and found this thread. Also found a thread on reddit for the same problem on iphone 7. That thread seems to think its down to a screen replacement issue. I have been in contact with Apple support by chat and they have told me to do a hard re-set (which i have done) and try using it agin. I will do this tomorrow but not confident this will resolve the issue. It appears that this is still a problem for many as there does not seem to be a definitive answer from Apple but it is uncertain if all users experiencing the problem have had screen changes.

Feb 14, 2018 1:30 AM in response to Roggster

Hello. I possess an iPhone 6s and I have the same problem too. I acquired it in December 2017 from a second hand market. Every time I use Apple Pay, the iPhone freezes and the touchscreeen becomes useless. I am completely sure, that this is a problem that Apple has introduced in their new iOS systems in order for us, its customers, to renew iPhones constantly.

Feb 27, 2018 6:23 AM in response to AlvaroCoronado

I have a 6s exhibiting this problem - and it does have a 3rd party screen. Anyone replace their 3rd party screen with an Apple screen and see the problem disappear? Before I spend more $$ on a 2+ year old phone, would like to have some confidence that the Apple screen would correct the problem.

I believe there are instances reported above that indicate the problem happens on phone's w/o a replacement screen, but it's not completely clear.

My work cafe just changed payment methods and apple pay is preferable (excluding the reboot step šŸ™‚).

Apple Pay freezing screen on iPhone 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.