Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple watch logo fade to red when trying to turn on and will do nothing else???

So I misplaced my Apple Watch for several weeks. Today I found it but obviously it was dead. So I put it on the charger thinking it will be good to go in a couple hours. Well I noticed the Apple logo would show up but would never turn on. Instead when I would touch the logo it would turn red and fade away. No exclamation mark and will not reboot. Does anyone know what this means?

Posted on Jun 23, 2017 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2017 11:51 PM

Hi

Follow the instructions here, including contacting Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), making a Genius Bar reservation or visiting an Apple Authorised Service Provider if necessary:

If your Apple Watch won't charge or it won't turn on - Apple Support

35 replies

Mar 13, 2018 9:54 PM in response to abrannontx

Misplaced watch and found 5 months later in a coat pocket - tried to turn on and am experiencing the same issue. Opened a case and took my watch into a store today. The technician DID NOT EVEN do any troubleshooting, he told me I had to send it in and that it would be $199 since it was out of warranty. Completely unreasonable as this clearly a known issue when a watch is without power for a period of time, and you can buy a new series 1 with better specs for $249. Very disappointed with Apple's response. Seems that they have set the repair at a price point that makes customers more apt to just purchase a new device. Poor business practice

Jan 9, 2018 8:06 AM in response to Truss09

Hello there,

i couldnt get mine working it still wouldn’t charge and the apple logo was flashing then fading red, I then got a exclamation mark in red. I called Apple and they sent me a box to send it back and said they will replace it free of charge even though it’s out of warranty because it is a software issue. I hope it helps, maybe call them worth a try.

Regards

Jan 17, 2018 9:37 AM in response to Rabbais

Hello there, yes Apple have been fantastic. They realize it was their error and they sent me a new watch. I first booked a support call with them and exlained what was happening to the watch. They askEd if it’s been in water or damaged etc but this def was not the case for me. They then sent me a box to send it back to them, they tested it and said it was a software error, which the support guy had already suggested on the phone, and then they send me a new one. This took in total 6 days and they pay all postage x so your best bet is to log a support call with Apple and go from there.

I hope this helps x

regards

tara

May 29, 2018 3:39 PM in response to feisy08

Hi! This happened to me today. I immediately set up an appointment at the Apple store. I went on a mini deployment and left my watch at home - series 1 - just out of warranty. Well I got the flashing Apple logo and it won’t reboot or anything. The Apple store told me they’ve seen this before and I have to send it in. If it’s a hardware issue, they’ll replace it free of charge but since II am out of warranty if it’s a battery issue, I have to pay $199.00 to replace it.

Needless to say, I wasn’t happy with that customer service. Seems to be happening too often. I left the store as I did not agree to paying the $199 if they found it to be the faulty battery. And I called customer service. They handled the situation and apologized for the store telling me I was neglecting my watch. Neglecting!

They’re mailing me a box to send it back in for diagnosing and will either fix or replace for free.

Give them a call - it’s a known issue. I’m glad I didn’t let my experience at the store deter me from contacting superior service via telephone.

Jul 15, 2018 12:01 PM in response to abrannontx

I have the same problem. I went to the apple store and all they told tell me was that I would need to contact support and that I would likely have to send it in. I contacted support and they ran threw the basic questions, any water damage so on and so forth. The woman then proceeded to do some sort of diagnostic on her end to no avail and then proceeded to tell me that they were giving her a price that it would be $200+ dollars to send it in. Needless to say I was not happy with being told I would be charged $200 to send it in, so she escalated the call to her supervisor. He then proceeds to tell me that my watch is out of warranty which is why there was a $200+ cost, that my device was too old and that the software hadn't been updated in a while so that "might" be the reason as to why my device would not charge. So basically what he is telling me is that I should not expect my apple devices to operate longer than 2 years. Not only should I not expect it to work after 2 years I should also not expect my device to work if I do not update to the newest software and finally if I expect to try to resolve the issue that I would be charged a $200+ fee to repair.

May 22, 2018 8:33 PM in response to abrannontx

Same issue! I didn't wear my apple watch for 2 weeks, and when I did charge it, I got this red screen that quickly faded to nothing. After leaving it charging for hours, it randomly showed a white apple logo, and then that red screen came up that quickly faded out again...I went through all the suggestions online:

• Check to make sure it was not on power mode
  • Force reset by pressing both buttons for 10~20 seconds
  • Check charging cable
  • Charge through laptop, in case the adapter for charger was not working
  • Clean charging cable and watch contact (with a lense cloth)
  • Did not go in water or near water
  • Never dropped it

I finally found this thread.

This is insane that this happens to many people, and the answer to this issue, is to just buy another one of their watches...the meaning of insanity, is to expect a different outcome if you keep doing the same thing!

Jun 11, 2018 1:00 PM in response to abrannontx

I did not use my Apple Watch for about 3 weeks and when I tried charging it, I noticed the fading red writings ... luckily for me I was able to solve this problem with this steps....

1. I unpaired my watch with my iPhone

2. I restarted my watch

3. I updated my iOS to the latest update while my apple watch was close by... after full update, immediately the update was completed and my iPhone came up...my watch brightened up immediately bringing out the auto scanning picture for me to pair with my iPhone.. I hope this may help any1 who has this problem aswell.

Aug 15, 2018 8:11 AM in response to Tarap5

Hi I’m having the same issue called Apple and spoke to a senior tech but they said it’s not a known issue as they have all known issues recorded and it can’t be a software issue if it won’t charge properly it’s more likely hardware I am having to take mine into the store for assessment but just wondered if you remember who you spoke to or the ref and maybe I can refer back to them. They should be able to sort i if software but if hardware I’ve to claim a replacement from the retailer which wasn’t Apple, under consumer rights as it’s outside warranty

apple watch logo fade to red when trying to turn on and will do nothing else???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.