Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud music library can't be enabled

I tried to toggle plenty of times and it just doesn't work. Any solutions? ios 10.3.3

Posted on Jul 19, 2017 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2017 8:49 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, wedsky.
If I understand your post correctly, you're trying to turn on iCloud Music Library. I'd like to help.
Follow these steps:
Turn on iCloud Music Library

With your Apple Music membership, you can access your music library on all of your devices as long as you're signed in to all of your devices with the same Apple ID and iCloud Music Library is turned on.

Apple Music features and content varies by country and region.

Make sure that you're signed in to all of your devices with the Apple ID that you use for your Apple Music membership. Then follow these steps to turn on iCloud Music Library.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > Music, and tap iCloud Music Library to turn it on.
    User uploaded file
  2. If you already have music on your device, you're asked if you want to keep the music that's on your device.
    If you choose Keep Music*, the music from your device adds to your iCloud Music Library.
    If you choose Delete & Replace, the music on your device is replaced with the content from your iCloud Music Library.

If you're still unable to turn on iCloud Music, let us know if you are able to play songs in the Music app using your Apple Music membership.
​Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2017 8:49 AM in response to wedsky

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, wedsky.
If I understand your post correctly, you're trying to turn on iCloud Music Library. I'd like to help.
Follow these steps:

With your Apple Music membership, you can access your music library on all of your devices as long as you're signed in to all of your devices with the same Apple ID and iCloud Music Library is turned on.

Apple Music features and content varies by country and region.

Make sure that you're signed in to all of your devices with the Apple ID that you use for your Apple Music membership. Then follow these steps to turn on iCloud Music Library.

On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > Music, and tap iCloud Music Library to turn it on.
    User uploaded file
  2. If you already have music on your device, you're asked if you want to keep the music that's on your device.
    If you choose Keep Music*, the music from your device adds to your iCloud Music Library.
    If you choose Delete & Replace, the music on your device is replaced with the content from your iCloud Music Library.

If you're still unable to turn on iCloud Music, let us know if you are able to play songs in the Music app using your Apple Music membership.
​Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Oct 6, 2017 4:26 PM in response to wedsky

There's an easier fix to this than restoring your iPhone.

1. Go to settings --> iTunes & App Store
  2. Click on your Apple ID up top and choose Sign Out
  3. Re-login to your Apple ID on that screen
  4. Go back to iTunes Music Library and turn it back on

If you still get the error, try repeating the steps. Most times it fixes it for me on the first try though.

Oct 1, 2017 1:57 AM in response to wedsky

Hi I have the same problem and this are the solutions that help me to go through this...

Have you ever checked if Apple Music is available on your country (for my end, not) If not, try to replace your region at the Settings app - General - Language and Region and look for the country you have entered the first-time you made a subscription to apple music.

after restart, go to the the music settings inside the settings app and enable the icloud music library.

This worked for me and I am hoping that this will help others too.

Oct 23, 2017 7:44 PM in response to amandal80

So in June I downloaded iOS eleven beta and I didn’t use Apple Music at all. I wanted to downgrade so I did and then I wanted to use Apple Music but it said can’t enable iCloud music library. Fast forward until when iOS eleven actually came out and I installed it. After I could use iCloud music library without issue. But then I turned it off to put some music on my iPhone 7 from my computer and when I tried to turn it on it did nothing and nothing happened. The add button was completely gone from all music and all I had was the stuff I bought from iTunes. I just upgraded to iOS 11.03 and when I tried to turn on iCloud music library it gave me this error. Help.

Feb 5, 2018 11:36 PM in response to amandal80

None of these suggestions work. Apple Music was working fine on my iPad right up until the point that it just stopped and now iCloud music cannot be switched on. It just throws up the same error message after a few minutes despite having reset the iPad twice. Along with the fact that I cannot play Apple Music on my MacBook Pro due to the still unfixed DNS issue it’s all looking like a huge waste of money. Surely having a switch to turn on iCloud Music should just work? I mean, isn’t that the point of it? It’s very frustrating and really rather rubbish. Spotify is looking more appealing by the day. Perhaps Apple should consider offering a service that actually works and is worth the cost. The support responses to these problems are very poor indeed.

Feb 10, 2018 7:09 PM in response to Bobweaver831203

I’m afraid not. It’s been over a week now and still getting the ‘iCloud music can’t be enabled, try again later’. I have restored my iPad to factory settings twice and still no luck. I was hoping that Apple support might be able to assist but I guess that’s just wishful thinking. It’s absolutely exasperating. A great service when it works but hopeless when it doesn’t and it seems you’re on your own when it comes to getting help. It would be hard to recommend this to anyone else when the service is so bad.

Feb 27, 2018 11:28 AM in response to amandal80

Hi, thanks, but the thing is, I´m not trying to turn it on. I´m trying to keep it on. I turn on the library, choose to keep my existing music and start adding songs. A few minutes later I get the message: "oClous music library can´t be enabled..."

Every time. And it´s not my iPhone because I have two. I´m very frustrated because I am paying for this service.

iCloud music library can't be enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.