Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone disconnected problem during backup

I have a problem when I am trying to make a backup of my Iphone 7 and iTunes via USB cable - Iphone disconnected problem - "iTunes could not back up the iPhone because the iPhone disconnected". I cannot backup to my computer. In the same time, Wi-fi backuping to iCloud was completed succesfully.

I am using latest iOS 10.3.3 and Windows 10x64 (version 1703, build 15063.483) with all updates and latest iTunes 12.6.2.20 and good ASUS motheboard with good powerful USB 3.0 porrts and original Apple USB-ligtning cables.

I tried to use 3 different cable and 4 different USB ports, with no result.

I tried to reinstall everything, I stopped antivirus, activated "At the Plane" mode, and made all other tricks which I found here, with no result.

I had this error with previous versions of iOS and iTunes as well, but when I had iPhone 5, I did not have this error on the same desktop computer.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.3, Iphone 7

Posted on Jul 23, 2017 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2017 2:36 AM

I posted my solution in another post too (check my profile),credits to iMazing team.

I will try to describe the steps:

The is a bug in iOS 10.3.3 that prevents the backup due too special characters in the files.So you have to find that app and uninstall it.

-Install iMazing

-Run a back up (with iMazing not iTunes) and check the process bar % and remember the number where the backup will fail

-From iMazing start menu press "show device console",move the windows somewhere near and press PAUSE

-Start a backup again and 5-10 % before the error happens, press RESUME on device console.

-As soon as the backup fails,pause the console and press SAVE,to create a txt file.

-Now it the file search for "No operation found for path"

-You will see a line like "'No operation found for path: /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/9944C65F-F8E5-4CA5-951B-7B6AF0A40D1D/Documents/File-Name-With-Special-Characters'

-The first bold string is the Unique ID of the rogue APP and the second it the rogue file name.

-Try to identify the file from the type or name by googling and delete it.

105 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2017 2:36 AM in response to PalazzoCorsini

I posted my solution in another post too (check my profile),credits to iMazing team.

The is a bug in iOS 10.3.3 that prevents the backup due too special characters in the files.So you have to find that app and uninstall it.

-Install iMazing

-Run a back up (with iMazing not iTunes) and check the process bar % and remember the number where the backup will fail

-From iMazing start menu press "show device console",move the windows somewhere near and press PAUSE

-Start a backup again and 5-10 % before the error happens, press RESUME on device console.

-As soon as the backup fails,pause the console and press SAVE,to create a txt file.

-Now it the file search for "No operation found for path"

-You will see a line like "'No operation found for path: /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/9944C65F-F8E5-4CA5-951B-7B6AF0A40D1D/Documents/File-Name-With-Special-Characters'

-The first bold string is the Unique ID of the rogue APP and the second it the rogue file name.

-Try to identify the file from the type or name by googling and delete it.

Jul 24, 2017 9:28 AM in response to gedonis

Hi all,

I found the cause and workaround solution for this case. If you received this error, the reason that you have some apps that size is too large (may be more than 3 GB size or something). At normal, such app should be file explorer or container or media player or some thing. Then, itune will show that iphone disconnected problem during backup. For my case that is related that my media player have around 50GB media files inside.

It cause this problem.

You have several workaround ways to resolve this issue.

Case 1. Don't use such app. remove it.

Case 2. Use such app and store the data into clouds and reduce local storage

Case 3. Some apps contain function not to perform backup through iTune. Enable such feature

Hope this work around can help you. In addition, this should be the bug in Apple iOS and iTune. Hope Apple will resolve this issue asap.

Jul 24, 2017 10:22 AM in response to benso888

benso888 wrote:

Hope this work around can help you. In addition, this should be the bug in Apple iOS and iTune. Hope Apple will resolve this issue asap.

Thank you for your research. And I hope you will let Apple know about it, so they can resolve it. Posting in this user-to-user forum is not a channel to Apple, as it is primarily for users, and Apple does not generally read what is posted. To communicate with Apple use https://apple.com/feedback. If you are a developer use the developer bug reporting site.

Jul 23, 2017 7:21 AM in response to gedonis

The "disconnected" message usually means that the phone is not getting enough power from the computer. It needs a minimum of 1/2 amp, and works better with 1 amp. If you have any power-hungry USB devices connected to the computer (like a USB external drive that does not have its own power supply plugged into the wall) try disconnecting it/them.

Jul 23, 2017 4:01 PM in response to gedonis

I was being facetious. My point was that there is no known problem with 10.3.3 and backing up; if you have a problem, it is most likely with your device or your computer. Secondarily, there have been no widespread problems reported, so if you have a problem you should try standard troubleshooting techniques. At any given time some phones will have a problem, and, with over 1 billion phones in use, there will be others with the same problem, no matter what it is.

Jul 24, 2017 4:37 AM in response to gedonis

I am also one of the "unlucky" ones with backup to iTunes impossible after (and only after, never had this problem before) IOS 10.3.3 installation on iPhone 6S (disconnection message during backup/syncing through iTunes on Windows 10). Application of several suggestions found on internet fora, such as

> iPhone airplane mode,

> iPhone network settings reset,

> deletion of backups from iTunes preferences,

> manual deletion of backup folders from %appdata%,

> change of USB port,

> change of cables (all original ones),

> iPhone reboot with cable connected,

> iPhone hard shutdown/reboot,

to no avail... I concur that this is a problem Apple should consider immediately!!

Jul 24, 2017 12:38 PM in response to eugchem

Even though I am using a Mac, I have the same problem with my iPhone 6 since the 10.3.3 update. My 2 iPads are also updated and they have no problem backing up. I have tried everything with my phone and I have posted over in the Mac thread on this issue. Just wanted to let you know I'm one of the "unlucky" ones too.

Jul 24, 2017 3:36 PM in response to benso888

So you are practically saying the problem (probably) is the media files (audios, videos, books, mags) or large games stored within the device and you suggest removing them in order to keep backups on IOS 10.3.3... so why we even bother buying 64 or more GB iphones if we should keep it practically empty just to be able to backup? If this is not the very definition of a bug, I do not know what is...

Anyway, benso888 you are very much appreciated for this research/effort, but before we empty our iphones, can anybody else confirm this workaround/solution, or at least find the limit that constitutes this "too large" of an app/file? Is it per app (player) or per file/medium?

Jul 24, 2017 5:03 PM in response to eugchem

This is a bug related to iOS 10.3.3 and Apps. That make itune show iphone disconnected during backup. After doing workaround, all my iOS 10.3.3 devices can backup completely now. Some iOS 10.3.2 still backup complete. Some of my frequent using apps with this issue contains feature not perform itune backup. After activiate, this issue will resolve. If not possible, I need to remove it then itune backup can finish.

Jul 25, 2017 3:29 AM in response to benso888

I agree with gedonis that this workaround with the max filesize does not work, at least for my iphone, as I do not have any app > 700MB anymore (removed anything above) and still have this backup disconnection bug... benso888 could you be so kind and provide us more details on what files you removed and what is now your max filesize?

Jul 30, 2017 7:14 AM in response to dcook1967

Not me, still having the issue. Since there are many of us with the same problem, I'm assuming (hoping) Apple will fix it in the next incremental update. My iPads both back up to my Mac just fine - same USB port and cable. So it's an issue (for me) with the phone only. I've also reported it to Apple directly. Fingers crossed!

Iphone disconnected problem during backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.