Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Photos Sync Problem

I opened iTunes sync one folder that has photos. But i cannot see those folders and photos in my iPhone. I am using iPhone 7.

I am new user I tried many times but i am not successful.

Is there anything I am missing or is there any issues with the hardware?

iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Aug 18, 2017 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2017 8:54 AM

Hello GirijaSankar,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems you are having issues with getting photos from your computer to your iPhone. To help resolve this issue, please follow these steps:

Sync your photos manually with iTunes

You can set up iTunes to sync photos to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from the Photos app, or from a folder on your computer. Each time that you sync your iOS device with iTunes, the photos and videos on your iOS device update to match the albums on your computer. If you have photos on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that aren't on your computer, follow these steps to import them.

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Open iTunes on your computer.
  3. Use the included USB cable to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer.
  4. Click on the device icon in iTunes.
    User uploaded file
  5. In the sidebar on the left side of the iTunes window, click Photos.
    User uploaded file
  6. Click the box next to "Sync Photos." If instead you see "iCloud Photos is On," all of your photos and videos are already on all of your devices that use iCloud Photo Library. You don't need to sync them through iTunes.
  7. Choose the app or folder that you want to sync from.
    If you choose to sync a folder with sub-folders, the first level of sub-folders will appear as albums on your device.
    User uploaded file
  8. Choose to sync all photos or selected albums.
  9. Select "Include videos" to sync the videos from your app or folder too.
  10. Click Apply.

You must import Slo-Mo and Time-Lapse videos through the Photos app or Image Capture in OS X Yosemite or later for their effect to be synced via iTunes. When you use iCloud Photo Library, Slo-Mo and Time-Lapse videos keep their effects.

Live Photos keep their effect when you import them to Photos in OS X El Capitan and later, but they lose their effect if you sync them back to your device via iTunes. Use iCloud Photo Library so that Live Photos keep their effect, no matter what device you use

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices

Cheers!
45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2017 8:54 AM in response to GirijaSankar

Hello GirijaSankar,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems you are having issues with getting photos from your computer to your iPhone. To help resolve this issue, please follow these steps:

Sync your photos manually with iTunes

You can set up iTunes to sync photos to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from the Photos app, or from a folder on your computer. Each time that you sync your iOS device with iTunes, the photos and videos on your iOS device update to match the albums on your computer. If you have photos on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch that aren't on your computer, follow these steps to import them.

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Open iTunes on your computer.
  3. Use the included USB cable to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer.
  4. Click on the device icon in iTunes.
    User uploaded file
  5. In the sidebar on the left side of the iTunes window, click Photos.
    User uploaded file
  6. Click the box next to "Sync Photos." If instead you see "iCloud Photos is On," all of your photos and videos are already on all of your devices that use iCloud Photo Library. You don't need to sync them through iTunes.
  7. Choose the app or folder that you want to sync from.
    If you choose to sync a folder with sub-folders, the first level of sub-folders will appear as albums on your device.
    User uploaded file
  8. Choose to sync all photos or selected albums.
  9. Select "Include videos" to sync the videos from your app or folder too.
  10. Click Apply.

You must import Slo-Mo and Time-Lapse videos through the Photos app or Image Capture in OS X Yosemite or later for their effect to be synced via iTunes. When you use iCloud Photo Library, Slo-Mo and Time-Lapse videos keep their effects.

Live Photos keep their effect when you import them to Photos in OS X El Capitan and later, but they lose their effect if you sync them back to your device via iTunes. Use iCloud Photo Library so that Live Photos keep their effect, no matter what device you use

Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices

Cheers!

Mar 7, 2018 3:12 AM in response to JPEWBDEN

Hi together, please see my previous post for the description of the problem I had.

After numerous calls with the Apple Support hotline I have come to resolve the issue myself.

Here is what I did:

1. I uninstalled iTunes and all of it's components from my PC. The support hotline told me to do this in a certain sequence: 1. iTunes itself; 2. Bonjour; 3. Apple Software Update; 4. Apple Mobile Device Support; 5. Apple Application Support 64 Bit 6. Apple Application Support 32 Bit (I hope I remember the sequence right)

2. Restart PC

3. Download latest version of the iTunes installer and installed iTunes again

and here is the "special" part. As I had de-activated the Photo Sync in iTunes and applied it, all my Albums on the iPad were gone (which is what I wanted). However, by chance I saw that the iPad still thought that 15.000 pics were installed on it, which I gathered might be part of the problem as to why no pictures we synced anymore.

So here is what I did to resolve that:

4. I used Windows File Explorer to copy all pictures from the camera roll (DCIM Folders on the iPad) to my PC (assuming they would get lost in the next steps)

5. I activated the iCloud Photo Library on the iPad to upload what was on my iPad onto the cloud (assuming this would delete them from my iPad, which was the case for some but not all pictures)

6. I manually deleted all remaining pictures from the iPad (ATTENTION; this also deletes them from the cloud, hence step 4)

7. I restarted my iPad (Home+Start button on the side)

8. Checked the number of pictures (General --> About), now showing 0

9. Search and deleted ALL "iPod Photo Cache" folders on my PC

10. Connected my iPad to my PC (as advised by the support line directly to the USB Card and not thru a Hub, although I do not think this would cause the problem), do not forget the "Trust" the PC when asked

11. Started iTunes

12. Went into Edit --> Preferences --> Devices and clicked "Reset Sync History"

13. Selected my iPad and told it to sync a folder

and....... yeah it worked !!!

I have no clue what created the original problem, but at least this worked for me.

At the time of writing, iTunes has 4600 pictures out of the 15000

Dec 19, 2017 11:51 AM in response to Aris_il

Just purchased a new ipad yesterday. I set it all up and was so excited to move over my 4000 pics overnight via cable-to-itunes on my PC with the cloud turned off.

It synced my large music library no problem. But I have the same issue with moving the pics over. it stops after a while with a internal issue pop-up. Buteven after i disconnect the ipad it still shows a syncing on the bottom of my photos app. It's VERY frustrating.

Feb 11, 2018 11:13 PM in response to GirijaSankar

I have this exact same problem. iPhone 7, manually syncing folders from my macbook pro. Started happening after upgrading to iOS 11.x. Issue continues to persist intermittently across various versions of iOS 11 and up to the latest version of iTunes running on Sierra and High Sierra. It's completely stopped syncing any new photos as of yesterday after I moved to a 2017 Macbook Pro and used migration assistant.

Is there any fix in the works for iOS 11 and iTunes local photo sync in progress? Has this issue been escalated to product management and engineering?

Mar 6, 2018 12:05 AM in response to razfromvancouver

Same issue here on iPad Pro with latest version of iTunes and IOS 11.2.6

My Photo Albums on iPad were totally messed up (some Albums from PC appeared 2x on iPad, pictures were showing in the wrong Album etc..). So I decided to first tell iTunes not to Sync Pictures, which deleted all Albums on the iPad and then tell iTunes to sync again. I restarted my PC (W10) and iPad several times. I even tried with one subfolder only. An empty Album gets created in my iPad, but no pictures are synced. Sometime I get an error message “unknown error (-50)”, sometimes iTunes just hangs saying it is preparing the pictures.

IS THERE ANYONE FROM APPLE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN RESOLVING THIS????

Apr 1, 2018 11:03 AM in response to MacBookPro0987

I just installed latest IOS and itunes and now my ipad will not sync with my computer, on Windows 10. It will sync a few and then I get 'an internal error device occurred'. To start with, all the photo folders were duplicated and photos were in the wrong folders. It all worked perfectly before I 'upgraded'. I have spent HOURS trying to get this to work. Any suggestions?

Apr 10, 2018 2:57 AM in response to jeremy_v

G'day Jeremy

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit (latest updates installed), iTunes V12.7.4, iPhone V 11.3, iPad version 11.3. All the latest & greatest. But my photos sync on both my iPhone & iPad has stopped completing. Most times it just sits there saying "Reading photos from "Pictures", a very few times it says there's a device error.

I am syncing over 13,000 photos, a lot I know, but both my devices have space, and they used to work perfectly until the latest update.

I have tried this on two different computers both W10 64 bit, both with the same result.

I've correctly uninstalled iTunes several times with virtually no change, once I got a few photos across, but nothing since.

I've followed your suggestions to the letter. Still no changes.

I've tried doing it folder by folder, but it hangs at the same "Reading photos from "Pictures" after two or 3 folders.

I've researched this and there doesn't seem to be a solution. It looks as if this problem has been around since Mid 2017. Just crazy. I don't use iCloud nor do I want to. I just want them to sync via USB cable like they used to.

Do you have any further ideas?

TIA

Regards

Alan

Apr 10, 2018 4:31 PM in response to Wunda

I have the same exact problem. On both my iPad 4th gen. and my iPhone 8. I have tried restores, sequential deletes then re-installs of all the Apple apps, every setting change you can imagine and still NOTHING! It's really ******* me off! I have been trying to figure this out for like 2 months at least. I had high hopes that Apple would have fixed this issue with the last update but was sadly disappointed obviously. It just sits there displaying "reading photos from my photos" forever. I let it run all night once and never moved from that stage of sync. Nor did I get any sort of error message. I'm on windows 10. I sure hope someone figures something out soon! Accessing, updating, and sharing my photos was what I did most on my iPad! Apple has really dropped the ball here....very disappointing....

iTunes Photos Sync Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.