Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepage of safari is locked and unable to change it

Hello,

My Macbook has been infected by seachpage malware.

After I try to delete it, I found my safari homepage is locked to searchpage.com.

I find many way to change it, but it sill be locked.

Do you have any suggestion to overcome this?

Thank you

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 5, 2017 12:55 PM

41 replies

Sep 6, 2017 9:39 AM in response to Edwarxh

okay, I've found something.

In this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5651631?answerId=24079497022#24079497022 there's a code line in Terminal that prevents changing the Homepage:

sudo dscl . mcxset /Users/USERNAME com.apple.Safari HomePage always -string "ADDRESS"

I've tried it out changing USERNAME for mine and ADRESS to "www.apple.com" and works properly after restarting the mac.

So if there's an option to block the HomePage adress in Safari, there might be a code line that unlocks it (I'm not a developer so I don't understand almost anything).

Sep 24, 2017 2:54 PM in response to Pruthvisena

User uploaded filestevejobsfan0123Sep 24, 2017 2:50 PM in response to Pruthvisena

User uploaded file Level 8 (47,622 points)
User uploaded file

iPhone

Sep 24, 2017 2:50 PM Re: Homepage of safari is locked and unable to change itin response to Pruthvisena

You probably have installed adware. You must remove the adware, THEN remove the profile, and it shouldn't come back. Try doing a scan with the free version of Malwarebytes: http://malwarebytes.org/mac.

Sep 6, 2017 8:41 AM in response to Eric Root

To add information to the thread, I have the same problem as Gobkittipos. I've also tried all you have proposed and I've even reinstalled Mac OS X Sierra (without loosing any data and apps) and the Homepage options keeps freezed.

Malware anti malware does not detect anything more and even Avast does not detect anything.

Sep 8, 2017 11:10 PM in response to federico87

federico! Thank you so much!! It works!

Most of solution online seems to be for situation in PC or several years ago.

AND some of the step by step "solution" online is fake and try to lead user to download more malware! (like suggesting reader to click some link to download.

I've uninstall unauthorized recently-installed applications and use CleanMyMac to clean the leftover too. However, the application does not notice the existence of "Profile" in System Preference which generate the abnormal plist for Safari.

It's so great to see a workable solution from you!

Sep 9, 2017 4:02 AM in response to Daren_Li

That is right, those tricky programs to "clean" your mac are a headache... also I think a complete new "Profile" icon on the System Preferences must be nothing friendly... I don´t now exactly what consequences could bring but it is definitely a fissure in the OSx.

The only way it worked for me to find the solution it was manually way.

I´m very glad to help you guys on my first participation in the forum!

Homepage of safari is locked and unable to change it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.