Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loose USB c port on MacBook Pro 2017

A few days ago I noticed that the two usb c ports on the left side of my MacBook had gotten noticeably looser than the ports on the other side. I don't really plug things into them more than I plug into the other side so I don't think its from overuse. When the MacBook came all four ports were nice and stiff, they all clicked in and felt like they would stay put. But now the two both just kind of slide into the computer and they don't feel like they will stay in securely. Has anybody else had a problem like this with any of their MacBooks or is it possible I got two defective ports on one side of the computer

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 4 TBT3), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Sep 6, 2017 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2017 3:36 AM

This seems to be very common problem. The usb type c connectors in MBP will become loose with time. If you look at connector closer you'll see that the central part ( it has side notches that interact with the latches of external connector) is made of textolite (printed circuit board material) which is too soft to be used this way and it just wears out with time. Ironically, this part in power adapter connector is reinforced with metal on the edges, so it will last much longer. Come on Apple, is it a PRO grade product? In fact, it's being made of materials of a disposable cheapo thing with the "Pro" price. By the way, Macbook 12 which is cheaper and not a "Pro" uses better reinforced connector.

94 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2017 3:36 AM in response to cmulhollanddd

This seems to be very common problem. The usb type c connectors in MBP will become loose with time. If you look at connector closer you'll see that the central part ( it has side notches that interact with the latches of external connector) is made of textolite (printed circuit board material) which is too soft to be used this way and it just wears out with time. Ironically, this part in power adapter connector is reinforced with metal on the edges, so it will last much longer. Come on Apple, is it a PRO grade product? In fact, it's being made of materials of a disposable cheapo thing with the "Pro" price. By the way, Macbook 12 which is cheaper and not a "Pro" uses better reinforced connector.

Feb 22, 2018 7:54 AM in response to cmulhollanddd

Same problem here. I can’t believe Apple didn’t make these ports without any sort of locking mechanism. I suspect that since they tossed the magsafe port, they attempted to make a port that fits loosely enough that should you trip on the cord, the cord will come out easily. This design decision is a disaster since the port is also used by harddrives. The USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port on the New Macbook Pro is horrible. My hard drives disconnect if I breathe on the cable too hard. I often look up to see my battery is at 5% because the power cord has wiggled loose about 1mm and the machine is no longer charging.

I miss my old 17” Macbook Pro so much. That laptop lasted 7 years!! I wish I had never bought this new machine. I spent almost $5k on this piece of crap. The butterfly keyboard mechanism started squeaking after only 4 months. The cables never stay in it. My finger is constantly brushing the TouchBar’s oddly positioned ESCAPE key resulting in lost work. I’ve had this laptop for 8 months now and simply put... I HATE THIS MACHINE.

Dec 30, 2017 10:56 AM in response to cmulhollanddd

I had the same problem on left side of my 2017 MacBook Pro 15" I purchased in September. Took it into Apple Center, they sent it out for repair. Went back in within two days to pick up and they said they replaced the power unit. I really didn't notice a difference in how the adapter or Apple USB-C connectors snapped into unit but they assured me that it fit properly. I still get my external monitor and external hard drive disconnecting randomly. Don't know what to tell you. If you take it in and they say they fixed it make sure you take you adapters and connectors with you so you can test it and don't let them tell you it's working properly. It has a totally different feel on left side than right side. As the person below said I think they have a cheap part problem and really aren't fixing the problem. I guess I will have to put a rubber band on it to keep expensive hyper drive adapter attached to my expensive $2500.00 MacBook Pro. Taking it to a center was an all day thing in my area and I don't have time right now to do it again. Give feedback if you take it in and they actually have made it better.

Jan 25, 2018 3:40 PM in response to cmulhollanddd

All my ports on my $5000 2017 MacBook Pro are also very loose. All the connectors just lightly sit inside the port. I get constant disconnects from my external drives, which often ruins the video project I am editing. Apple's USB-C port/connector stinks. They didn't do a good job designing it for lasting firmness. The old Thunderbolt 2 connector was so much better. I'm really not happy with my super expensive MacBook "Pro".

Apr 1, 2018 9:29 AM in response to malibu66

see Kappy answer at the beginning of this thread:

It's in warranty. Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

These ports are replaceable, and if yours are not satisfactory, they should be replaced with ones that are satisfactory.

If you get pushback, compare to the many units on the display floor. If yours are not as good as the new ones, yours need to be "repaired or replaced". If your Mac is out of warranty, you will have to pay for the repair, but the cost is not a Huge one.

If still not satisfied, ask the store manager to intervene.

You MUST remain calm and businesslike. Apple wants you to be a happy customer. They also know that Users who are screaming or hysterical or threaten to sue everyone will never be happy customers, so they are show to the exit door instead.

Dec 29, 2018 7:43 AM in response to rgrip

This is the Apple User-to-User Support Communities. Apple Engineering and Marketing professionals do not read these forums, and your exhortations fall only on the ears of other Users. If you want to send messages directly to Apple, use this link:

Product Feedback - Apple

I've had my machine a bit over a year. One of my USB-C ports is broken, and the other 3 are barely marginal.

When you decided NOT to buy the AppleCare extended warranty, you made a decision to pay for problems in years 2 and 3 out of your own pocket. If you want the ports fixed, Apple has already told you the repair is readily available.

All you are grousing about is who pays -- and in my opinion, you made that decision when you decided not to purchase AppleCare.

Dec 10, 2017 2:21 AM in response to cmulhollanddd

I have been wondering exactly the same thing. I have the same computer. Often when I have an external drive plugged in it randomly says you disconnected the drive as the ports are terribly loose and not nice and stiff. I can't say I have plugged that many things in. I wondered is this just my computer or is this some sort of pathetic usb-c deal... Will be making an appointment at apple genius bar.

Feb 23, 2018 9:50 AM in response to Trouser Slacksman

That's exactly the case I had and they were trying to deny it's an issue. I had to demonstrate with a floor model vs. mine and show them and say look: I work with this thing and I need stable reliable connections to large external storage. If I breath on this wrong it disconnects and sometimes that corrupts my work. Then they finally reluctantly agreed to fix it.

I am really not a fan of the new MacBook Pro, the non-touch bar version was not without problems (ghost images on many displays, for example) but this flimsy cheapo keyboard and now these ports are totally unacceptable. The touch-bar is a gimmick that makes touch typing and serious work way harder too.

Feb 23, 2018 10:44 AM in response to brsm1990

If they don't fix mine, I'm selling this laptop. I work on the road all the time. I'm tired of looking up and seeing 5% battery life and then realizing the power adapter has wiggled slightly loose and the laptop hasn't been charging at all. I'm tired of have huge drives disconnect while editing large video projects and losing my work. I'm tired of having my phone syncing interrupted halfway through the process because the cable inched itself out of the port. I could go on and on and on about the keyboard and the stupid touch bar, but I'd rather this thread stay on topic. If enough people lodge their complaints about the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports here, Apple will take notice.

I didn't realize how bad my problem was until about 6 months of ownership. Then it gradually started to annoy me enough that I felt like something was seriously wrong with the design of this machine. At 8 months of ownership, I found this thread.

There are only 4 ports on this machine and they are all identical. Apple removed all the other ports. All they had to do was make 1 port that works, and replicate that 3 times. I have 1 USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port that is extremely loose, 2 that are loose, and 2 that seem okay and slightly lock in place. There is some sort of hardware within the internal design of these ports that is giving out, otherwise all of my ports would have the same fit. They don't at all.

Hopefully they have already identified the design/manufacturing flaw and a replacement port on the machine will fix everything. If they haven't identified this flaw and addressed it, then replacing the ports will only buy you a little time until they just become loose again. You'll probably know within 6 months how well they are faring.

Mar 7, 2018 5:05 AM in response to cmulhollanddd

I also have the same problem, I'm always very careful in connecting the cable, but I noticed that all 4 doors are now quite loose after only 6 months, now my MBP have 1 year.

I noticed that on the power adapter, the male part of the connector is constructed in different ways, and better, than the same on the machine, and in fact, that works properly.

I have the Apple care, I hope they do not make a fuss about replacing the doors, given what the warranty extends.

Mar 14, 2018 2:52 PM in response to cmulhollanddd

I have the same problem on the port where I normally charge. It is unacceptable for a device that is sold at a high price and supposedly designed for pro users to have such a major design flaw. It seems that all 4 usb-c ports are susceptible to the loosening, which is like an impending doom.

There are no official apple stores in the country where I live, so taking the laptop to an authorized repair shop will result in a 6 week turn around for any repairs because parts have to be shipped in from either Hong Kong or Singapore.

Loose USB c port on MacBook Pro 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.