Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7+ home "button" cracked!!

So, earlier this week I went to unlock my phone by using the home sensor and it wouldn't work. A message popped up and said my I'd touch wasn't working and my assistive touch button was on the screen. So I pressed on it to see if it would work (I was hoping guys) and it cracked. Now obviously there is no way I could have pressed down hard enough to crack it. I have never dropped it. I have a case on it that lips over the front in case of a face drop. Lastly, only the home button getting cracked and there being no other physical damage seems a little far fetched for a dropped phone ( which I have never dropped). That all being said I went into apple today to explain and of course they do not cover it and it falls under accidental damage. $169 fee still under limited warranty. I'm not the first person this has happened to. I have read many people's stories about the same thing happening to them after what happend to me. I found it is actually a real thing that happens. Obviously it's a malfunction.. I was really disappointed that I couldn't fix the phone for a cheaper price or get a replacement. Anyone else have this issue?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 16, 2017 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2017 7:35 AM

I went to my closest Genius Bar yesterday. He told me what I said in my original post. That the glass needed to fixed but basically their is no way the button broke under my touch alone (which it did). It is still under limited warranty since I have only had it 7 months. $169. I didn't get offered a replacement only if their were other things wrong that were covered under limited warranty. It wouldn't be a big deal to pay the $169 if I knew I dropped it it was my fault but like I said I didn't drop it. I pushed the home sensor and it cracked.

73 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2017 7:35 AM in response to Kappy

I went to my closest Genius Bar yesterday. He told me what I said in my original post. That the glass needed to fixed but basically their is no way the button broke under my touch alone (which it did). It is still under limited warranty since I have only had it 7 months. $169. I didn't get offered a replacement only if their were other things wrong that were covered under limited warranty. It wouldn't be a big deal to pay the $169 if I knew I dropped it it was my fault but like I said I didn't drop it. I pushed the home sensor and it cracked.

Jan 18, 2018 11:17 AM in response to P.Kwan

I can’t believe it. That’s exactly what happened to mine. I was listening to music and then it suddenly stopped, I checked it to see what happened and it was rebooting and there was a crack on the home button. I thought something must have somehow fallen on it but when? It was just sitting there. Hopefully I can get this fixed; I’m overseas.

Sep 16, 2017 10:09 PM in response to Hdm0

If your iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad is Broken

Apple does not usually fix iDevices except for screens and minor work they can do in their shop. Instead, they exchange yours for a refurbished or new replacement depending upon the age of your device and refurbished inventories. On rare occasions when there are no longer refurbished units for your older model, they may replace it with the next newer model. You may take your device to an Apple retailer for help or you may call Customer Service and arrange to send your device to Apple: You can make an appointment at the Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar and take it in for service. You can also look for an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. You will find respective repair costs in the appropriate link:

iPod Service Support and Costs

iPhone Service Support and Costs

iPad Service Support and Costs

Jan 12, 2018 1:08 AM in response to Hdm0

Same problem happened in my iPhone 7.

My cell phone suddenly reboot when I was playing music. I leave my iPhone on desk but the home button was suddenly cracked. I swear I did not touch / drop it down. Obviously it is the problem about design and material used for home button. I guess all victims can try to accuse to Apple. It’s not for money but our right.

Feb 6, 2018 9:50 PM in response to Hdm0

One night in November, when my never dropped, always Otterboxed, perfectly functional iPhone 7+ was just about 3 months, I went to bed after placing it on the charger in the floor between my mattress and the wall. There was literally no way for it to fall. I woke up in the morning to the same error message described in a number of forums here. “TouchID not available.” The little Assistive Touch dot-box automatically appeareared. That was nifty. Kinda impressed, I decided just to go with with it. Karma. I noticed the hallmark hairline fracture had also spontaneously appeared on my home “button” area.

Since then, every time, after my phone died or was otherwise reset I experienced a surprise length boot loop. It seemed that plugging the thing into a computer most always solved the boot loop issue after just a few minutes.

Then one day, I got a call that my grandmother was in the hospital. My phone died in the car 30 minutes into the 4.5 hour drive while I was in the midst of attempting to get my grandmother transferred to a better hospital. After that it seemed there was no reviving it. I hadn’t brought my computer and would not be turning back for it. But all the sudden I was unreasonably angry that this stupid button was broken due to no fault of my own...yadayadayada meltdown in Verizon store ending up with the phone spontaneously coming back to life after about an hour of my using the manager’s phone in the break room to talk with nurses and hospital administrators. I learned not to let my phone die...for a bit.

Fast forward to three days ago. I woke up to a dead phone. I’d forgotten to charge it overnight. No big deal. I plugged it into the computer, expecting it to flash three or four Apple logos and then return to somewhat normal functionality...

No. The phone booted and booted and booted and booted and booted and booted and booted for 36 hours. I tried updating and then restoring it. I tried restoring it again and again and again to no avail. I dug out my smashed screen 6S Plus, dropped it off with a guy named Caveman to fix. $120 for a new screen. Called Apple and got an RMA. As I was pulling in to pick up the repaired phone I noticed that my 7+ was saying “Hello, Hola, Bonjour, 您好, etc. Press home to open”

What a freakin joke.

No more Assistive Touch dot-box. Why did it always know before to give it to me; that the “button” was not functional, but now it’s all the sudden forgot?

It was on the setup screen for a few hours. After I restarted it a number times, it started up the endless boot loop again. So glad I am not alone in my experience of spontaneous TouchID/home button failure. I’m really hoping Apple will repair. It is highly inconvenient that my nearest Apple store is 3 hours away, but I am thankful for my 6S Plus. It works like a charm without a totally smashed face. I await my Return box.

Feb 6, 2018 10:32 PM in response to Hdm0

The same thing happened with my phone - iPhone 8, 2 months old. It was just sitting on the table. I picked it up and saw the notification about the touch id not functioning. I tried pressing the home button. It was not responsive. Then I noticed that it had cracked.

Since then I've also noticed that the home button heats up like crazy. Sometimes it becomes so hot that I cannot put my finger on it for more than a few seconds.

I'm guessing the two are linked. I'm not a techie or qualified to confirm that they are. But I hope Apple is investigating to figure out the real problem here (and the design flaw, if one) instead of blaming it on customers.

Apple should offer replacement phones or at least offer to repair for free. It is ridiculous that they are expecting customers to pay for something that seems like their fault.

I expect better from Apple!

Feb 25, 2018 10:12 AM in response to iGamerdude

I was just sitting in the car, my iPhone 7 on the console, and I looked over at it and the home button was cracked! It wasn’t because of it falling or hitting anything, because only a minute beforehand I had used Siri to text my girlfriend, and used Touch ID to unlock it.

One minute it was fine; I turn away for a minute and it’s cracked!!! And if it’s going to cost me $169 to get it repaired, I’m sticking with Assistive Touch.

May 7, 2018 9:51 AM in response to Hdm0

Same here- did not touch it at all and I tried to get it fixed but they only could offer an entire screen replacement ($140)

so i've been using assertive touch, my batter now dies within 12 hours and the home button area get extremely hot sporadically while using it.

Not very pleased with this. Hoping they come out with this as a malfunction and replace them for free!

May 29, 2018 12:52 PM in response to Hdm0

I'm joining the list of people with this issue. My iPhone 7 Plus was working fine and I put it in my pocket (with nothing else in it). Next time I pulled it out, the home button was cracked, and now I need to use Assistive Touch and can't use Touch ID, which I used a lot. My iPhone is 1.5 years old and not under AppleCare, so I am hoping enough people have reported this issue that Apple is paying attention, but I'm not holding my breath.

iPhone 7+ home "button" cracked!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.